Fave Aussie Music

• 3 weeks later...

Bu££ah! Should do my own research rather than rely on those entrusted to disseminate educative facts about our musicians!

Anyway, another - John Schumann (ex.. Redgum???).. His take on that Cold Chisel classic, Khe San... Although.. much better than the music, is the short history narrative. I did Aussie History as a HSC (now VCE) subject; they never mentioned that story...

[edit] And here is the video:

[/edit]

I did Aussie History as a HSC (now VCE) subject; they never mentioned that story...

I left school before Australia's commitment to the war began. According to the Australian War Memorial web page on Vietnam, Australia's commitment began in 1962. I left school in 1960, having sat and failed the Leaving Certificate (later HSC and VCE). With six siblings following me, Dad couldn't afford for me to repeat, so I joined the bank. Things were different back then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

9 minutes ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

And I had no ides these guyr ere Aussie.. Fair dinkum! They are great..

OOhh an opportunity to name drop.  I knew the guitarist Martin Armiger from the Sports quite well, alas he died recently.  We met under highly coincidental circumstances.  I lived near a small town called Braidwood for many years, one day a friend of mine mentioned a musician who had just moved into town and he wondered if I might know him.  The name Armiger was very familiar to me. I remembered that many many years ago when I was a child, my parents were in amateur musicals and I recalled the the musical directors name was Armiger and her husband also played double bass in the orchestra. Martin was their son.  Later on we became friends.  Later on  my little musical trio performed with his wife.   Martin became quite a renowned composer of music for film and television as well as a Head of  screen composition at The Australian  Film and Television School.  He also used to write the ABC news theme music (the TV one).

From time to time I come across other musicians who have studied composition under him.

Sadly he had some serious health issues and died last november.

For all his achievements he was the most humble and kind person you could ever hope to meet and extremely supportive of other musicians.  

http://apraamcos.com.au/news/2019/november/vale-martin-armiger/

Why's there no ACCA DACCA on here yet?  Im not really a fan,  but they certainly brought a dose Aussie attitude to the world.

But does anybody remember an old combo called Sebastian Hardy? I saw them live once.

Four plucky Aussies who back in the 1970s went toe to toe with Poms and the Krauts with their symphonic rock noodlings. Admittedly not very Australian, but  quite extraordinarily accomplished  music. 

Alan