SILLY SIGNS. . . . .LET'S START A THREAD ?

Phil Perry

Re the bike seats - I found, purely via purchase error, that womens bike seats are much more comfortable than mens bike seats. They're built wider, and this feature alone makes them more comfortable.

I have never understood why the standard mens bike seat has to be so narrow and basically painful after extended riding.

No wonder the Tour de France blokes spend so much time standing up on the pedals!

Edited by onetrack

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, onetrack said:

Re the bike seats - I found, purely via purchase error, that womens bike seats are much more comfortable than mens bike seats. They're built wider, and this feature alone makes them more comfortable.

I have never understood why the standard mens bike seat has to be so narrow and basically painful after extended riding.

No wonder the Tour de France blokes spend so much time standing up on the pedals!

A long time ago I was a young, fit cyclist. I did some track racing. I can tell you the reason that the men’s  bike seats are solid.

If you are riding competitively the seat is only there to help you steer the bike. If you put weight on the seat you are not pedalling hard enough!

So it is designed to punish the rider any time he slacks off.

Women's bicycle seats are generally more comfortable because they place more importance on comfort.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I've never had any problem with bumps with the womens seat on my bike, it's just more comfortable under every condition. It's built like the big old wide vintage motorcycle seats, they were a practical and comfortable shape. I guess they had to be, when you consider that nearly all vintage motorbikes and pushbikes have no rear wheel suspension.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Straight  onto the end of your spine is no place to get bumps like sledge hammer. British motorcycle seats are not that good bar the older sprung leather covered BROOKS which were even used on veteran AMERICAN BIKES.ie INDIAN Hedstrom.  Nev

• Informative 1

I used to ride my bike a lot as a young teenager, but I don't think I ever did 100 miles in a day on it. Might have done 25 to 30 miles some days, though.

When I lived on my gold mine, alongside Hwy 1, North of Norseman, I'd regularly see cyclists loaded to the gills, pedalling their way across Australia!!

The interstate truckies hated them and would try to blow them off the road! The highway was only 6M wide in those days and this meant that trucks couldn't overtake cyclists when other traffic was oncoming, so they would have to brake to a crawl. Nothing makes a truckie more irate, than having to brake multiple tonnes down to 15kph, and then take ages to wind up speed again!

• Like 1

There must be quite a few Japanese with some strong character, then!!  I think the flies got to them more than the distance and the brutal constant pedalling.

The ferocious headwinds across the Nullarbor must have made a few of those hardy cyclists want to give up!

• Like 1