SILLY SIGNS. . . . .LET'S START A THREAD ?

Phil Perry

4 hours ago, spacesailor said:

Hake & chips.

shark !   ( no bones  )

You're thinking of flake, Spacey. That is shark.

From Marine Stewardship Council.

What is hake? Hake are members of the cod family and can be found at depths of over 1,000 metres. A total of 12 hake species are known in the family of Merlucciidae, and even though taste and texture can vary by species they all tend to have a milder taste, softer texture and smaller flake than cod. 

Read more here.

• Like 2

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, old man emu said:

Jerry could enlighten us on what English people ask for in their local chippery.

As far as I am aware, it is Cod and Chips.. I am sure there is some Cockney rhyming slang, but I don't know it..

Over here, it is all in the warmer to prvide customers with their cod 'n chips ASAP, which is why I order a large Cod & Chips.. they rarely have a large cod in the warmer, so it is cooked fresh..

The local I go to gets up at 1am to be at Billingsgate in time to buy fresh.. It is £6 for a large cod, but absolutely yummy.. better than the £5 ones that are cooked from frozen at other chippies.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Informative 1

Often what is sold as Barra isn't.. Or at least it was the case. At least 30 years ago, there was a story on either 60 minutes, Mike Willisse, or some Ray Martin show that claimed of the 50 tons caught per year, 500 tons was sold. There is a famous fish restaurant in Sydney that was at Circular Quay (the main one was in North Sydney, somewhere); My partner fresh off the plane ordered Barra, and it was anything but.. I ended up giving her my snapper (fish, that is). What she was given was probably a cheap shark of some sort.  I complained, and they did refund the meal pretty shaprishly, so I think they knew. That was in '98.

• Informative 1

When I used to regularly operate through Mt ISA we used to arrange for large amounts of frozen Barra from the Gulf  (Normanton)? to be there and put it in the unheated locker where it remained frozen till after arrival at Melbourne. The WORD then was Barra....That fish where they catch 5 tons and it becomes 30 tons at the market.. Anyone Familiar with it at all will recognise it. I  consider it a bit over rated but when it's good it's not bad.  My slang word for it is "Mekong Mudfish" It's all over Asia under other names. A lot is farmed these days. .Nev

• Like 1

Fish descriptions are the greatest rort, all over Australia. It's criminal the way hotels and restaurants purposely mis-describe fish. 60% of the fish consumed in Australia is imported from Asian fish farms - and it's absolute rubbish.

The Mekong River has over 400 unregulated industrial factories discharging industrial waste into the Mekong. The fish flesh is either a dirty grey or brown, and they wash it with methanol to whiten it. You'd never eat it if you saw where it came from, what it's fed, or how it's processed.

"Snapper" and "Barramundi" are used continuously to describe this rubbish. The eateries can do this, because "Snapper" and "Barramundi" are Asian species as well.

Anytime I think about ordering fish, I ask the waitperson whether the fish is local or imported. Most of the time they have no idea and have to ask the chef. When the answer comes back "imported", I don't order the fish there.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Barra from fresh water is muddy and I live near a well known freshwater dam which is stocked with barra. I don't think anyone eats it.

Flake in Victoria is good, but I have seen amateur fishermen throw it away thinking it is poor quality.

Not only fish are a rip off, but also fruit. I have had a Mango dessert in Broken Hill which had absolutely no relationship ti mango, another is Lychee which comes in many guises, but is not worth eating in a restaurant.

• Informative 1

Redfin are usually too numerous to get very big. They also tend to be rather Bony. Best thing out of dams is Native Yabbies. . I freeze them before I cook them, out of kindness.. I originally stocked the dam with Spotted Brow Trout fingerlings but eventually the Cormorants got most of them. Nev

• Like 1

My biggest Redfin was a touch over 2 and a half pounds when I was around 15, I caught in a creek and rode home with it proudly hanging from the box handle bars for all to see, it was like trying to pull a stump with a lawnmower to get in. Shame it was before all the cameras in every device, I only have the memory of it.

I quite liked eating Redfin from the creeks and rivers around Longford and cressy in Tasmania where I grew up, never got a muddy taste unless eating tench, the disgusting version of carp down there.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

God calls Noah and says "I want you to build another Ark."

"OK," says Noah.

God says, "Only this time I want it to have 20 storeys."

"OK," says Noah. "Fill it with animals like last time?"

"Yes," says God, "But this time, only with fish. In fact, only with carp."

"Carp?" says Noah.

God says, "Yes, I've always wanted a multi-storey Carp Ark."

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

1974579975_dullandboring.thumb.jpg.a7c55c73bd05eb5ec44f8852adef9081.jpg

Dull, Scotland. Nice looking countryside but not much there. Boring, Oregon has a bit more going for it, including the North American Bigfoot Center Museum and Giftshop with a giant Bigfoot model.

image.thumb.png.e2686ae62363323165fecc3534284cae.png   image.thumb.png.ef0d81a3900cf3d7502ee33da5c3c74b.png

The dullest, most boring, however, is Bland, NSW.

image.thumb.png.0162369d8a2899fe4e6772804be2f072.pngimage.thumb.png.907be9baaa805cce580a9ae51daa3ae2.png

• Like 3