SILLY SIGNS. . . . .LET'S START A THREAD ?

Phil Perry

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would not believe some of the request my daughter gets at the fast food joint she manages, people taking off ingredients down to a cheese burger, then when she suggests that, “no I want this done this way”. Even though it costs more by double.

On 10/08/2022 at 8:10 PM, Jerry_Atrick said:

I was in a fish and chip shop in Traralgon and it had a sign saying We use oil with no fat. I think they meant cholesterol 

I wonder if they meant no saturated fat, or if they don't know about the types of fat.

• Like 1

I think perhaps what they probably meant was no animal fat/s. Nearly all commercial cooking oils are blends - usually a blend of vegetable oils - cottonseed, canola, safflower, sunflower and any other edible oil they can source. You rarely find olive oil, rice bran oil or peanut oil in these commercial blends, because these oils are too expensive. But some of these commercial blends can contain animal fats as well as vegetable oils.

There's a local fish and chip shop cooking oil called Frytol solidified oil, and it is pure (refined) beef tallow. Surprising, some of the best fish and chips I've eaten recently were cooked in Frytol. Of course, it did help that it was local fresh fish, too - not the imported rubbish from Asia.

But Frytol also make a vegetable cooking oil blend in the U.K., using sunflower oil, palm oil and rapeseed (canola) oil.

https://www.brentcorp.com.au/product/frytol-solidified-oil-20l/

https://www.bfp-xpress.co.uk/products/craigmillar-frytol-15ltr

You can generally walk around the back of the F&C shop and find the empty 20L drums of the cooking oil type, that the shop is using.

When I was a teenager, the local F&C shop used peanut oil exclusively. I loved the F&C's we got from that shop, they tasted so much better than any other F&C shop.

Cottonseed oil is the lowest grade cooking oil you can get, it's bloody terrible, after a week of deep frying, the stuff looks and tastes like used engine oil.

Edited by onetrack

I think that fair dinkum Cod'n'Chips has to be cooked in beef fat. Perhaps Jerry could enlighten us on what English people ask for in their local chippery. I believe there is a way of asking for a serving of fish and chips that bears no relationship to what you actually want. Like going into a bakery and asking for a couple of dog's eyes with sauce.

• Like 1