Robotics

willedoo

2 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

Interesting result of my hip replacement: the clever surgeons made my left leg slightly longer. Both legs are finally the same length. I now walk without a limp!

That's good to know; my left leg is getting shorter by the day. Hopefully they'll measure me up before fitting a new hip.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

6 hours ago, Yenn said:

If I get one it is going to outlast the rest of me.

I read recently of the growing problem of artifical bits surviving cremations and proposals to harvest these expensive spare parts for re-use before we go into the furnace.

Although an organ donor, I thought most of my bits might be too worn out to be of interest, but maybe a few near-new bearings might be attractive.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

One of the simpler examples of robotics is the motion flight sims. The most expensive to build or buy is a full motion platform with six degrees of freedom (heave, surge, sway, yaw, pitch, roll). The most expensive part would be the step motors which are not cheap. The cheapest to build would be a 3DOF unit with three legs giving pitch, roll and heave. Some people say the full monty is not worth the cost as it only takes a small amount of movement to trick the brain into exaggerating the sensation.

• Informative 1

Edit to the above post - a 2 degree of freedom platform would be the cheapest and easiest to build. Only two step motors and struts at the rear.  Both moving together up or down gives pitch, moving in opposite directions gives roll. 3 DoF would require a third unit at the front. The three moving together up or down would give heave.

• Like 1

My favorite is the borderline sci-fi 1927 German film, "Metropolis". Based on a book written in 1923, which was itself based on life in the Weimar Republic, the film is one of the first cinematic attempts to forecast what society in the future would look like.

The book projected the future date as 2026. The film shows a huge class division between the downtrodden workers and the elite, rich, ruling class.

The downtrodden workers lived underground, and their sole job was to attend to the huge machines that powered the great and futuristic city above. The elite lived a life of ease and pleasure and lots of sunshine, while the workers only lived to work, and were rarely allowed above ground. It was a pretty grim scenario. There were some futuristic robots in the film.

The story of the re-making of the Metropolis film in the early 2000's is a saga in itself. It was thought that a large portion of the original film was lost - until a largely complete reduction negative was found in a museum in Buenos Aires.

More missing sections were found by an Australian researcher in the National Film Archive of New Zealand. Finally, in 2010, a virtually full version was put together, it was first screened in Berlin, then thousands of copies were produced in Blu-Ray and DVD format for public sale. It's on YooToob. Interestingly, U.S. copyright on Metropolis only expired on Jan. 1st this year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(1927_film)

• Informative 3

An interesting marriage of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics forms the background of The Bicentennial Man, written in 1976 by Isaac Asimov. The story is about a robot who, over a period of 200 hundred years goes through a series of physical and legal challenges to be accepted as a human. The earliest events of the story took place somewhere between the 2050s and early 2060s after the invention of the "positronic brain" - an artificial AI device that does what a human brain does, but obeys the Three Laws of Robotics. Obviously you have to be aware of Asimov's robot series to follow the history of the positronic brain and its application to robots to accept the background to the story.

The robot eventually is declared to be a man by the Authorities, after a prolonged legal battle. The opposition to that is based on the fact that such robots are immortal. However, after attaining its goal to be accepted as a human, the robot, which for most of its 200 years' existence has been known by a human name, Andrew, not a serial number beginning with "NDR" which was assigned when it was created, wishes to become absolutely human by "dying".  As Andrew lies on his deathbed, he tries to hold onto the thought of his humanity, but as his consciousness fades his last thought is of the little girl who he was initially purchased to act as a butler, and who started him on his journey. He sees her at the foot of his bed welcoming him to the eternal place where humans go after they die and he understands why he has sought to be human and that he has succeeded in becoming human.

The story was made into a film, Bicentennial Man  in 1999. Unfortunately, as is often the case, a good book was ruined by a poor screenplay. Robin Williams played the lead role in another of his dramatic roles, but he was clean shaven. It is said that if Williams wore a beard in a move, the movie was a drame, not a comedy.

• Informative 2

I think Asimov's greatness was in the fact that the "science" in his works was part of the environment of his stories, not the essence. Most of his fictional works played on the interrelationship between humans and the products of science. He was also a prolific, eclectic non-fiction writer. And who could ignore his Doctoral thesis, The Endochronic Properties of Resublimated Thiotimoline?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...