Robotics

willedoo

19 minutes ago, onetrack said:

I'd like to see how they go after a few hundred hours of this style of operation, and a fair bit of wear starts in the moving joints!

Couldn't agree more. Although it is impressive (I couldn't do all that, even when I was young), at the present these machines would have a short service life.

Mechanically speaking, human metal joint prothesis seem to have about a ten year lifespan. And they use very expensive components.

• Like 1

SWMBO has two artificial knee joints, the originals were destroyed by severe arthritis. A Doc by the name of David Wood (now, Prof. Wood, brother of the famous Fiona Wood, but not just her brother, a pioneering doctor in his own right), fitted her with the new replacement knees. They are part-titanium and part-ceramic, and she got them in 2008 at the age of 58. She's 72 tomorrow (sshhh!), and those replacement knees are still going great.

They're reputedly designed to last 30 years, and Dr Wood actually designed part of the replacement knee structure, and holds a patent on it.

But they cost $25,000 each to install in 2008, and I don't think Boston Dynamics would have put the same effort and money into the robots knees, as the Docs and engineers put into the human knee replacement.

https://www.aimsresearch.com.au/product/surgeons-directory/professor-david-wood/

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

4 minutes ago, onetrack said:

I don't think Boston Dynamics would have put the same effort and money into the robots knees, as the Docs and engineers put into the human knee replacement.

That is my point. Multiply that cost by the number of joints involved, and this android is one very expensive toy. It would take some serious cost reductions to make these robots economically viable.

But they say 'never say never'!

• Agree 1

I'm not putting down AI developers. It is a very complex topic. Once AI catches up to the mechanical levels of modern automitons, then we will have true what was envisioned in the middle of the 20th Century.

We don't know what is being carried on behind closed corporate doors. The work of Dr Susan Calvin, of US Robots and Mechanical Men, is famous in the field of anthropomorphic machines. Susan Calvin was born in 1982. At 16, she wrote the first of many papers on robotics, a Freshman Physics paper entitled "Practical Aspects of Robotics". Graduating with a bachelor's degree from Columbia University in 2003, she began post-graduate work in cybernetics, learning to construct positronic brains such that responses to given stimuli could be accurately predicted. She joined US Robots in 2008 as their first Robopsychologist, having earned her PhD. In 2021, she began to work on the unexpected implications of the Laws of Robotics on interactions between anthropomorphic automatons with advanced AI and humans.

https://asimov.fandom.com/wiki/Susan_Calvin

• Informative 2

On 05/11/2022 at 10:52 AM, old man emu said:

I'm not putting down AI developers. It is a very complex topic. Once AI catches up to the mechanical levels of modern automitons, then we will have true what was envisioned in the middle of the 20th Century.

We don't know what is being carried on behind closed corporate doors. The work of Dr Susan Calvin, of US Robots and Mechanical Men, is famous in the field of anthropomorphic machines. Susan Calvin was born in 1982. At 16, she wrote the first of many papers on robotics, a Freshman Physics paper entitled "Practical Aspects of Robotics". Graduating with a bachelor's degree from Columbia University in 2003, she began post-graduate work in cybernetics, learning to construct positronic brains such that responses to given stimuli could be accurately predicted. She joined US Robots in 2008 as their first Robopsychologist, having earned her PhD. In 2021, she began to work on the unexpected implications of the Laws of Robotics on interactions between anthropomorphic automatons with advanced AI and humans.

https://asimov.fandom.com/wiki/Susan_Calvin

Errr... you do know that Susan Calvin is a fictional character in Isaac Asimov's novels, right?

8 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Errr... you do know that Susan Calvin is a fictional character in Isaac Asimov's novels, right?

Marty, 

Have you been out committing aviation and have missed the follow up? Click on that arrow in the top right of the box below and go to the first post in that thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, facthunter said:

stumbling blocks

A stumbling block or scandal in the Bible, or in politics (including history), is a metaphor for a behaviour or attitude that leads another to sin or to destructive behaviour. Note the mention of "scandal". More of it later,

The origin of the metaphor is the prohibition of putting a stumbling block before the blind (Leviticus 19:14). In the Hebrew Bible, the term for "stumbling block" is Biblical Hebrew miḵšōl, which is translated into the Greek of the time of the Roman Empire as skandalon, having the sense "snare for an enemy; cause of moral stumbling". The New Testament usages of skandalon, such as Matthew 13:41, resemble the Greek usage. The noun skandalon has a derived verb, skandalizo, meaning literally "to trip somebody up" or, idiomatically, "to cause someone to sin." The Greek word skandalon was borrowed from Greek to Latin to French, and finally to English as "scandal". The modern English meaning of scandal is a development from the religious meaning, via the intermediate sense of "damage to reputation".

• Informative 1

On 4/11/2022 at 8:44 PM, nomadpete said:

Mechanically speaking, human metal joint prothesis seem to have about a ten year lifespan. And they use very expensive components.

Bugger! I’d hoped my new hip joint would see me thru a few more decades. The dilemna now is how much work to inflict on the new bearing (which unlike all the natural ones, isn’t self-repairing.) it needs regular loading to induce the growth and maintenance of associated muscles, tendons, etc, but I sure don’t want to wear it out.

Interesting result of my hip replacement: the clever surgeons made my left leg slightly longer. Both legs are finally the same length. I now walk without a limp!

This is fifty years after the first of five operations on my left knee, which is still doing its job. 

According to a study in "The Lancet" 

"In conclusion, although there is not enough information yet available to calculate exactly how long a hip replacement will last, using available arthroplasty registry data, we estimate that about three-quarters of hip replacements last 15–20 years and just over half of hip replacements last 25 years in patients with osteoarthritis (video)."

• Informative 2