Examples of corruption in Australia

Bruce Tuncks

"Baby Boomers" are defined as people born from 1946 to 1964, in the Post-WW2 "baby boom", when couples were breeding like rabbits.

Quite a number of baby boomers have already died, and a fair number aren't in too good a shape, physically. But we built the nation into what it is today, so much of our infrastructure dates to that era.

• Informative 2

Well I'm well and  truly pre boomer. What a relief! THEY get BLAMED for having worked all the time.. I sold newspapers when I was 11. I remember the day  the Japan war ended. The trains tooted for hours  in Newcastle (au) and I got the afternoon off, Primary school. Nev

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

F H, you are one of the Silent Generation, born between 1928 and 1945, although I would say that at teh tail end are the War Babies born between late 1940 and mid-1946.

Australia's McCrindle Research uses the name "Builders" to describe the Australian members of this generation, born between 1925 and 1945, and coming of age to become the generation "who literally and metaphorically built [the] nation after the austerity years post-Depression and World War II".

• Like 2

You're only a few months older than my sole surviving brother - he was born in late Sept 1940. They were tough years, the War years; rations, regular fear and rumours of a Japanese invasion, a lot of basic things in short supply.

There were two major rumours of a Japanese landing on the beaches near Fremantle in early 1942, that spread like wildfire, and caused numbers of people to flee to the Hills.

With the second rumour of a Japanese landing, one bloke told me that a group of Army blokes panicked and drove straight through the fence of the Bellevue Ordnance Depot (near Midland) in a stolen Army truck, and didn't get apprehended until they got to Northam, 100kms to the East.

The rumours must have been pretty outrageous and fear-driven, I can recall my Mother telling me how they were believed by many people, and it took a bit of effort to quell the panic.

• Informative 1

9 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Snow White's story was darned immoral. A sweet young girl playing house with seven blokes, keeping them ALL happy! 

That's a bit judgy isn't it Peter?  If you wanted to go keep 7 lady dwarfs happy, who's to say it's immoral?  Tiring, maybe!

1 man living with 7 women = great unhappiness. Have you ever been around a chattering group of women in a cafe or hairdressers? It's like being in a henhouse, after all the chooks have been upset by something.

Edited by onetrack
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Actually, my mother in law is fantastic…

My other half seems to have done her job well and is a valued MIL; my daughter’s hubby has always got along with her and subjects her to regular piss-taking. He once tried to sell her on E-bay, but didn’t get a single bid. More recently he announced that he was taking his mother in law to Paris for her birthday and the rest of us could come along too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, onetrack said:

There were two major rumours of a Japanese landing on the beaches near Fremantle in early 1942, that spread like wildfire, and caused numbers of people to flee to the Hills...

My mum spent the war on a dairy farm up in the hills. He war diary is fascinating. After the fall of Singapore, rumours of Japanese invasion caused many to panic. Her dad got the family ready to flee south. Each kid was given a specific tasks, such as leading a vital house cow or horse. Everything left behind was to be burnt. 

She dearly wanted to join the war effort, but was stuck in a reserved occupation, so she joined the ranks of Air Wardens who regularly phoned in sightings of aircraft. Just when reports from the war were most worrying, one day 52 Kittyhawks flew over, heading to New Guinea! Must have been a stirring experience, but she wasn’t to know then that several of them would get lost and crash, and many would soon get shot down by the superior Japanese aircraft.

• Winner 1

You are a war baby Facthunter. Like me, but I'm as young as you can be to say that. I was born between the bombs in 1945. The best careers were for war babies and just before. Once, I went to hear an old guy ( 5 years older than me ) say how you should change your job at least every 5 years, like he had done. This was possible then, but it is no longer true as there just is not the shortages of skilled workers these days.

All through my school days, I had good teachers and awful headmasters. The heads were of pre-war vintage, and generally stupid bullies.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1