Damn this weather

red750

16 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

It's bloody November! Is that normal for where you are?

Spring is all over the place.  Windy, rainy, sunny, just can't make up its mind.  We don't often get snow in November, but one year (2006 I think) there was snow settled in the streets of Hobart, damn near sea level, on christmas day.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

We've had the coolest and wettest Spring in W.A., since the late 1960's, this year. It simply won't warm up, and it just keeps on raining.

A lot of W.A. farmers are getting worried about crop damage, there's already been quite a bit of mature crop loss caused by wind and rain, and even hail.

Canola seed falls to the ground fairly easily when it's ripe, and the wind starts blasting it. At nearly $1000 a tonne, seeing the seed just get shook out onto the ground must be depressing - particularly given the bumper crops this season.

3rd Nov - https://www.farmweekly.com.au/story/7495121/hail-delivers-a-cruel-harvest-blow/

10th Nov - https://www.farmweekly.com.au/story/7503290/harvest-off-to-a-slow-start-across-zones/?cs=5158

Edited by onetrack

Took off for London at 3:30am... The below is a map of the route I took (bit for some reason, it took a little longer than normal, which was painful, because the traffic was light).

The black circle represents where it was 9 degrees - it is normally warmer in the winter than London as we are on a peninsula (effectively). The Blue circles represent were it was around 4 degrees... The grey is where it was 1 degree (1/9th of the temp where and when I left home). East of the bigger blue circle it was 4 degrees.  The magnitude of the deviation is more than I have seen in the 6 years I have been doing this. Quite a bit in 220km.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.de9165877d5e70170eee3d9333c46690.jpg

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

You reckon that's cold. I lived on the North Norfolk coast and I reckon there was nothing between us and the Arctic circle. I still live where there is nothing between me and the Arctic circle, unless you count the equator as something. No comparison between the North winds.

17 hours ago, facthunter said:

Numerically maybe, but zero is minus 273.

Only if you're name is Kelvin!

10 hours ago, facthunter said:

You can't work the universal Gas equation without using the correct values

Er., I was referring to what was outside the car.. not fugitive emissions from within the car.

It may be, but Kelvin is set because of the relationship of temperature to volume.. Ride a motorcycle in a small space of time from 9 degrees to 1 degree and the impact of the temperature variation will be larger within our range of tolerance (or indeed, if 2 degrees is the tolerance of he earth before Armageddon), and the immateriality is greater than 5% (or thereabouts)

I find it interesting how our temperatures are recorded for weather recording purposes. I often reckoned the "official" temperature was dodgy, and now the BOM also adds "apparent temperature" to the records.

"Apparent temperature" is another suitably official measurement, also known as ...

the Steadman Apparent Temperature in shade. The Apparent Temperature is an estimation of what the temperature 'feels like' to an appropriately dressed adult. Direct exposure to the afternoon sun would add as much as 8°C to the App Temp

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDS60801/IDS60801.94669.shtml

Even the official recording of temperature is governed by precise recording requirements. The thermometer must be in a cabinet fitted with a Stevenson screen, at least 1.2M above ground level, and well away from buildings and vegetation.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/cdo/about/airtemp-measure.shtml

There are many times when I've noticed huge variations in local temperature as compared to official records - wind chill factor, elevation and lack of vegetation locally all affect the temperature that you feel, accordingly.

I can remember back in the days of old Holdens with no A/C, where we drove with the windows down most of the time, that on some evenings, whilst travelling through undulating wheatbelt country, you could really notice the difference in temperature between the hills and valleys as you felt the air rush past your window. You'd come over a hill, the air would be warm after a hot day, then down in the bottom of the valley where it was windless, the colder air would be gathering for the evening.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

There are many times when I've noticed huge variations in local temperature as compared to official records - wind chill factor, elevation and lack of vegetation locally all affect the temperature that you feel, accordingly.

I can remember back in the days of old Holdens with no A/C, where we drove with the windows down most of the time, that on some evenings, whilst travelling through undulating wheatbelt country, you could really notice the difference in temperature between the hills and valleys as you felt the air rush past your window. You'd come over a hill, the air would be warm after a hot day, then down in the bottom of the valley where it was windless, the colder air would be gathering for the evening.

I remember for many years the hottest official temperature recorded in Australia was at Marble Bar, under 50, from memory something like 48 or 49. Anyone who has been in the remote hot country in summer knows that temps in the 50's are common. In the Great Sandy, we recorded a max of 55 every day for almost the whole month of January. That was hot. Made a lot worse because it had recently been burnt by the locals with a lot of resultant reflection from the bare sand.

The hottest I've ever been in was one day when it peaked at 60 in Moombah. I don't know where their temp recorder was situated and whether it was prone to wind effect. That day was sandstorm conditions. We left the bottom end of Innaminka Station at 8 in the morning on a surprisingly cool day for January. Someone made the comment that at least it was a nice cool day for a camp move. By the time we turned left toward Moombah an hour later, it was well in the 50's with sand blasting horizontally in the truck side windows. No air con, so the windows had to stay open. Visibility limited and the coolest place to put a water bottle was in the shade inside the dog box. Even there, the water was unpleasantly hot to drink.

By the time we got to outside Moombah it was bad. Most of the crew went into Moombah to get supplies and the three of us who stayed behind crawled under the trucks like cattle dogs to try to escape the heat and blasting sand. In that country it can be paradise one day, hell the next.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

8 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Even Kangaroos drop dead in those temps. Get in the shade and spray a fine mist of water over you. the Kimberlys seem to be the hottest area. Nev

A mist bottle is a good idea, but not on that day. By the time a droplet exited the bottle, it would be 30 feet down wind in the blink of an eye. The wet rag on top of the head and the jugulars works well also. Cool that blood down before it hits the brain. Probably the second hottest time I've had in Australia was at Kunnanurra. In January from memory, it was only 50 but had coastal like humidity with it. I never realised before then that Kunnanurra  was susceptible to that much humidity.

• Informative 1

While we talk of summer heat, we must think of its effects in the temperate areas. I was pushing my lawnmower through longish, green, moist grass this afternoon, accompanied by the occasional adventurous raindrop falling from the grey sky above. The yard looks nice now, with the surface an even height and a consistent colour in the grass. But I know, come January it will be straw as it always is. Water it!, you say. I would, if water wasn't too expensive to pour on the ground. Maybe I should just give it the old 1,2,3 - one of cement, two of sand and three of gravel.

• Like 1

That Brunswick cement lawn raises the ambient temp over 2 degrees. Grass transpires moisture which evaporates and cools. IF you have a summer DRY  don''t use any water but wastewater as large areas of lawn grass are very dependent on lots of water which is generally scarce on this continent more than most parts of the world. A more tough natural type of cover will help prevent erosion of the rare topsoil which is the first Priority. to look after this arid land,  Nev

• Like 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

lots of water which is generally scarce on this continent

I think Forbes has plenty.

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

help prevent erosion of the rare topsoil

The clay in my back yard is harder than concrete. The green is moss, no grass.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, red750 said:

The clay in my back yard is harder than concrete.

Yes, the soil types vary considerably over the whole country. Around Sydney you have either sandy soils from Hawkesbury sandstone that lets water go through it like water in a sieve, or you have clay coming from the erosion of shales and claystone.  That clay bakes hard in summer.

• Informative 1