Damn this weather

red750

On 18/11/2021 at 7:37 AM, facthunter said:

Kelvin has a REAL absolute zero where strange things happen. Molecules stop vibrating and things become superconductors..   The "natural" earth environment gets only to about minus 60 c..  at the Tropopause and the Poles..Nev

Sorry to labour this point, but Kelvin is merely a datum at which, at the time it was conceived, did measure "absolute zero" of temperature  - a point at which the definition of temperature (yes, where molecules of gas stop moving) . However, this ignores the marginal delta affect at which temperature changes affect life and to try and gauge a marginal variation in terms of absolute zero is, well, nonsense - gases are not living as far as I recall. We use Celcius or Faranheit for this purpose, although they, too are simply datum points from which to measure.

And of course, as science progresses, it does challenge established scientific principles. As it turns out, there has been a gas, albeit artificially manufactured, that requires negative temperatures in K to stop the molecules moving: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130104143516.htm

There are "absurd" or strange reactions below zero K, but the molecules do move around...

Put simply, and quoted from the article: "This inversion of the energy distribution means that the particles have assumed a negative absolute temperature."

10 minutes ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

but Kelvin is merely a datum ......

requires negative temperatures in K to stop the molecules moving

Who needs scientists to work out how to eliminate negative temperatures? Since they are only negative relative to the chosen datum, simply ask a politician. They are really good at moving the goalposts.

• Confused 1

I only wish to point out that  saying the temp doubled or such is inappropriate but becoming more common The universal gas equation is  P1V1/T1  =P2V2/T2 is a constant and to calculate the effect you must use the correct definition of the temp scale.   You will get an enormous error if you don't. Nev

You fella's complain about newspapers calling every plane a Cessna. I'm doing my bit in another area.

Weather reports can be done well but are usually an exercise in telling you the minimum. Resist being dumbed down. It's a creeping blight that will disadvantage us all if it's not resisted..   Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

No. But it appears a number of radar sites regularly undergo upgrades and maintenance, and this usually means the radar site is offline, and radar information is not available - in which case you usually find there's message on the site advising you of the situation, and providing a live link to an alternate radar site.

In the case of the Perth BOM Radar, which is actually located at Serpentine, about 55kms S of the City, the alternate radar is Perth Airport. But Perth Airport Radar is not normally available for viewing publically, it's only made available when Serpentine Radar is down for maintenance or upgrade.

Lovely weather. We have just had our "Wet" which should have been in Jan, Feb, but at last the dams are full ready for summer. Usually we are using them for irrigation all through winter and they are low now.

I had to rescue the pump from the edge of the dam as it went under water and it hasn't done that for about five years.

The BOM and the media are forecasting global warming will result in all sorts of different weather and harping on about more cyclones. So far we have had less cyclones for the last few years and the bushfires they are promoting are due to government stopping us burning for fuel control.

• 1 month later...

Oh for Jack Frost nipping at my nose! 

It's been overcast for weeks in Sydney and hot and humid. It's depressing to wake up each morning to grey skies and the threat of even more rain.

In 1906, Dorothea Mackellar wrote My Country whilst on a trip to England where she was clearly missing her homeland. Absence might make the heart grow fonder, but it also muddles the memory.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.

Until you suffer through years of drought, then as things start to look good, the bloody rain flattens the crop and turns a bumper harvest into less than pig feed before your very eyes.

Her pitiless blue sky,
When sick at heart, around us
We see the cattle die –
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady, soaking rain.

Many parts of the continent have experienced prolonged wet periods and droughts. The most well known of these are the Federation drought (1895-1903), the World War II drought (1939-45), and the recent Millennium drought (1997-2009). Mackellar was in England after the Federation drought. If I had been, I would have really have had what the English had<

The love of field and coppice,
Of green and shaded lanes.
Of ordered woods and gardens

• Like 1

If you lived in Northern Canada or Siberia you'd have something to complain about., A comfortable temperature is a fairly narrow band. High humidity makes a high temp unbearable. I've NEVER liked the Coast from Sydney north in the summer. Most of Australia never sees really cold weather. The Kimberleys are nearly as hot as anywhere .Nev

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

If you lived in Northern Canada or Siberia you'd have something to complain about.

A friend of mine lived in Kamchatka for four years. She told me she experienced temps from -50C to +50C. Further east is that town that records the lowest temp for a permanently inhabited town. Even though their maximums are only 38C, their minimum is so low that they also get the 100 degree range from summer to winter.

Minus 40 is the coldest I've experienced. It's a whole different ball game than -30 or -35.

• Informative 2

I love this weather. We are having a wet season and it is the first for several years. The meteorologists are talking about the La Nina and the Southern Oscillation Index, which ten years ago we used to get a weekly report on in the TV news. Now they seem to have forgotten what it is and consider it a new discovery.

I heard a retired met forecaster on the radio the other day and he was saying that last year was wet year. News to me, but I barely caught his name. It could have been Ray Wilkie, who I remember as an incompetent when he was the big name in weather.

• Like 1

90% of weather forecasting is pure guesswork - although, to their credit, the BOM is getting better with their accuracy, thanks to fast and comprehensive satellite imagery, and faster and more comprehensive measurement-gathering.

I can recall, probably about 35-40 years ago, the Weather Bureau (as it was known then), was silly enough to make an announcement proclaiming they had reached a level of 48% accuracy for the year just gone, with their daily weather forecasting!

Then some clever dick pointed out - if they had totally reversed their forecast for each day - in other words, forecasting rain, when they forecast no rain - they would've been able to claim an accuracy level of 52%! :cheezy grin:

Needless to say, we never heard the Bureau make any announcement ever again, in regard to their level of past forecasting accuracy!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Yenn said:

We are having a wet season and it is the first for several years.

Same here, Yenn, in coastal SEQ. First proper wet season for years. The hot weather started back in October with the nowdays usual summer of destructive storm rain, but eventually turned into a proper old style wet.

• Informative 1

What I don't understand is that the Meteorologists tell us that our wet/dry cycles are the product of identified circulation of heat in the currents that circle the Pacific Ocean. On that basis, I would expect the heavy rain-bearing clouds to be coming in from the northeast. However, watching the storms using the radar, it appears that they are moving from the west-northwest. That's the path the usual tropical cyclones and rain depressions take even in dry years.

Either way, I chant

"Rain, Rain go away.

Come again another day"

Rain rain go away Memes

• Like 1