Damn this weather

red750

It has been two months since Red started this thread, and that was in response to the lousy weather preceding that date. I am getting heartily sick of waking up every morning to grey skies. I don't mind if it is raining, but cloudy skies with only high humidity are an attack on the psyche. I doubt if even moving west of the mountains will give any release.

• Informative 1

37 minutes ago, old man emu said:

It has been two months since Red started this thread, and that was in response to the lousy weather preceding that date. I am getting heartily sick of waking up every morning to grey skies. I don't mind if it is raining, but cloudy skies with only high humidity are an attack on the psyche. I doubt if even moving west of the mountains will give any release.

We moved west of the mountains in mid NSW forty years ago to escape coastal humidity. 

This last couple of years the weather has been crazy; most days it reminds me of Cairns. I tend to work hard for an hour, then hang my saturated work clothes in the sun to dry and go inside to cool off. A couple of times my wife has opened the door to surprise visitors and there I am in my shorts, with some strange woman between me and my clothes!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another cloudy day with intermittent showers. 😝

With acknowledgement to  Dr Brewster M. Higley of Smith County, Kansas,  who wrote the lyrics as the poem "My Western Home" in 1872 or 1873, I sing this:

Oh, give me a home where the Hereford roam,
Where the sheep and kangaroo play,
Where never is heard a discouraging word
And the sky is not clouded all day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

It will transform some areas and restore aquifers.

You can see the transformation as you drive through the countryside. The new leaf growth on the trees is making the green-grey eucalypt forests look like Sherwood Forest. Dams are full and even the miserable gutters we dare to call creeks have waterholes along their courses.

But that's OK if you can see the good the rain is doing. In the city and suburbs, you don't see that, unless you include the rapid growth of the lawn grass. Otherwise, the lack of sunshine inhibits the release of the "happy hormones" and that leaves you feeling miserable. It also affects daily life. If I do the washing, will it dry? Is the grass dry enough to mow? 

• Like 1

The difference between city and bush.

I find the city to be depressing, the people don't have the same outlook on life, it is all so self centred. give me the bush where you can stop and talk to just about anyone, rather than have them pass you by with their eyes down to avoid contact.

• Like 2

I understand, Yenn.

For years now, I have suffered anxiety whenever a visit to the big smoke is unavoidable.

Like you, I find the whole city environment is depressing, impersonal, almost alien. I put it down to being just another thing that goes with getting older. I confess to being little more than a hermit. I can't identify with the empty hustle and constant din of city life. Give me the whispering trees anyday.

And I grew up in an inner suburb of Sydney. Go figure.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 1

Oh, thread is 'Damn this weather' so.... Back to topic

It is so hot and dry! The ground has opened up with great cracks, the grass is brown straw. BOM has been promising rain for weeks. Well it looked like that until I read the fine print - expect 70% probability of .3 mm rain today! But we didn't even get that!

Youse lucky buggahs are getting all that beautiful rain and all you can do is complain about it!

• Like 1

A city  "Mucks up Nature" completely. ALL those structures have a limited life and rely on things, electricity, Fuel,food clothes manufactured items and water etc from miles away to keep it functioning. The slightest "glitch" and it starts to FAIL. A catastrophe is when your favourite Brand is unavailable or no toilet rolls. Nev

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Oh, thread is 'Damn this weather' so.... Back to topic

It is so hot and dry! The ground has opened up with great cracks, the grass is brown straw. BOM has been promising rain for weeks. Well it looked like that until I read the fine print - expect 70% probability of .3 mm rain today! But we didn't even get that!

Youse lucky buggahs are getting all that beautiful rain and all you can do is complain about it!

Bite your tongue Peter... don't you remember the winter we just had where it rained pretty much constantly?

The plasterer is coming back Friday afternoon to sand it, then it has to be painted.

We have had the hottest January in years and the heat through the hole was pretty intense. My wife chooses to sleep in the lounge - falls asleep in front of the telly - and stays there. I think the heat affected her as she had a serious bout of billiousness and diahorrea yesterday, so bad we had to call an ambulance.

• Sad 1

We have had a fairly comfortable Summer so far except for the last three days, which have been mid thirties and humid. The rain in November made a great difference. before that it was too dry and we had no citrus growth. had a very poor crop, but we now have citrus galore, but the fruit fly are attacking like mad. Dropped fruit everywhere, but I am hopeful of getting a bit of a crop in our usual time of May to July. The wet season hasn't really appeared again this year, a bit now and again but it seems we will not get a Summer wet. it is that November rain that is carrying us through. Hopefully we will get some good rain in the next two months, but it is still nice and green.