Homeless in the USA

Bruce Tuncks

You should have told her that sixpence is what the Yanks call a nickel. 

Peck: a US dry measure which converts to 8.8 litres by volume. That's about 300 ml less than a standard plastic bucket.

Bushel: next size up in volume. One bushel = 36.4 litres

Now if you are Scots, a peck is a four firlots and and a boll is four firlots.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Zac..... sixpence

Dina.....

Tray..... threepence (from tresh = three)

Bob..... shilling = 12 pennies

Quid.... 20 bob = 240 pennies

But I'm beggared if I can remember how many ferkins in a kilderkin.....

Oh, how I love metrication.

Edited by nomadpete
No reason

But what about 'Homeless in USA' ?

My personal belief is that most homelessness is due to a lack of mental health care. Nobody in their right mind chooses to sleep on concrete pavement in the rain, snow, whatever.

Mental health care is underfunded in all countries. Probably because those suffering that way, are unlikely to ever motivate politicians  (i.e. have a well funded lobby group to bribe the political elite)  to create a proper functional system of mental health care.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 13/10/2021 at 11:14 PM, red750 said:

Why do they still have races like the Caulfield Guineas?

Because back in the days when the horse racing was still the Sport of Kings, and the common man was only there to pick up the droppings, prize money was stated in the language of the toffs. No common pounds, shillings and pence for them, except in the Accounts Receivable book. The guinea had an aristocratic overtone, so professional fees, and prices of land, horses, art, bespoke tailoring, furniture, white goods and other "luxury" items were often quoted in guineas until a couple of years after decimalisation.

First run in 1881,  and signalling the start of the Spring racing carnival in Melbourne, the race is held over 1600 metres at set weights (56.5 kg) for three-year-old horses. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

And then we have "guinea pig" - both the animal and the test subject. Both are directly related. The guinea pig got its name from the fact it normally cost a guinea to purchase, and it was decided the animal was like a little pig. Early references in European history describe it as "the little pig from India". The Spanish actually brought them back to Europe from South America in the 1600's.

Then the guinea pig was commonly utilised for vivisection and other medical testing in the late 1800's and early 1900's, when it was figured out that the guinea pigs and humans shared numerous physiological similarities. From that era, anyone used for testing purposes, then became a "guinea pig".

• Like 1
  • Informative 1