God help America

red750

I'm not sure about other states, but I'm fairly sure the legal age here to ride a quad bike is sixteen. It's one of those regulations that gets broken all the time. For a long time now, quad bikes have overtaken tractor accidents as the leading cause of farm fatalities.

5 or 6 is way too young to do a lot of things. I grew up on a farm and didn't drive the FJ farm ute until the legs were long enough to reach the pedals comfortably, probably around 10yo. Tractor work being more dangerous, I didn't start until I was around 13. The hand clutch and gear shift needed a certain amount of strength. I think I started arc welding at 12, but that's a relatively safe activity compared to some on farms. I started grain harvesting around 14. Most farmers wouldn't let their sons on a header until they were sure they were mature enough to get all the grain in the bin and not on the ground. I started on bikes around 13 when I bought a BSA Bantam 175cc. I already knew how to ride from riding the neighbour's Francis Barnett.

• Informative 2

My dad broke his leg when he rolled a Quad bike on top of himself. He came home from the bowls club with a few beers under the belt and turned the quad too fast and sharp when rounding his sheep up. They are a lot more unstable than a lot of people think they are. A brother was also lucky not to be killed on one. He was roaring along flat out chasing a bull and hit a wire that was strung across a small gully. It got him in the mouth and lifted him straight off the bike onto his back. His mouth was a fair bit wider until they sewed it up. He was just lucky the wire didn't hit his neck or it probably would have been fatal.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Quad bikes are dangerous. but most farm equipment is especially where Hydraulics  are concerned.  A torn "O" ring can make it do things that Kill you.. What's worse than a post hole digger?  Though it's Safer as a hydro drive.  Nev

Old post hole diggers and PTO shafts are scary. So too are grain augers, although they just cut limbs off and don't usually throw people around like a rag doll as a PTO drive or post hole digger can do. I can remember seeing more than one farm hand in the Lockyer Valley with half a hand gone from chaff cutters. It's a big lucerne growing area.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, facthunter said:

Quad bikes are dangerous. but most farm equipment is especially where Hydraulics  are concerned.  A torn "O" ring can make it do things that Kill you.. What's worse than a post hole digger?  Though it's Safer as a hydro drive.  Nev

yeah, one of the common ones is kids working behind tractors spotting a leak in the hydraulics.
and thinking that they will put their hand around it to stop it...

injects oil under the skin. real nasty horrible injury.
oh your lucky means cutting and draining. if not, well amputation or worse

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That was only someone's opinion and   was a  "gratuitous" comment from a Trump appointee.. Trump makes bloopers as well but  what he's coming out with should make everybody take stock of the risks involved with backing him. 

Anyhow referring to any body as a "Vegetable" is pretty OFF. Anything goes in the dis United State of America. Calling people VERMIN Just as Adolphe did and the military are "Suckers and Losers" according to the hopeful Commander in Chief who will have access to the RED Button. Nev

• Like 1
  • Sad 1