Australia abandons our allies to the evil Taliban

Old Koreelah

The US secretary of State has said "This is manifestly not Saigon". Well with Kabul in Taliban hands, the President and government Ministers fleeing the country, US helicopters landing in the embassy grounds evacuating staff, civilians and Afghans who worked for them, and US officials frantically burning documents, it looks exactly like Saigon in April 1975 to me with one exception. That is they have bases close by to evacuate to rather than ships offshore.

• Agree 1

Our government is sending in the RAAF sometime in a few days. How good is that?

It makes me ashamed to be an Australian to be associated with such a sick load of politicians who cannot think for themselves. If the Yanks don't tell them what to do, they do nothing.

How long before we are embroiled in another Yanky invasion against there must have enemy?

Will it be Iran? It certainly will not be China. If they can't beat Viet Nam, Korea, Iraq and Afghanistan, who can they beat?

Crimea, Portugal, Chile?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Yenn said:

How long before we are embroiled in another Yanky invasion against there must have enemy?

Will it be Iran? It certainly will not be China. If they can't beat Viet Nam, Korea, Iraq and Afghanistan, who can they beat?

Crimea, Portugal, Chile?

Yenn, out of that list I'd say Portugal and Chile are the only ones they could beat. Crimea is off the list as it's Russia and there's no way the Yanks could win there. Iran is too hard otherwise they would have tried before now. Attacking Iran would be a another humiliation for sure.

• Like 1

So where's the next war? For a country addicted to war, they're running out of options. And pigs will fly before they stay at home and mind their own business, so it makes you wonder. Maybe throw some darts at a map of the world and see where they hit. Wherever it is, we'll be there as little buddy hanging onto Uncle Sam's shirt tails.

Edited by willedoo
  • Sad 1

Well the yanks failed miserably with a little island called Cuba, so that doesn't leave them many options for successful future arms marketing display opportunities. (Oh, I meant 'honorable wars to liberate other downtrodden countries')

Edited by nomadpete

Apparently we have sent a C17 & refuelling tanker to get people out, NZ is sending a Herc, the Brits are already there along with Italians & Germans & the yanks have secured the Airport (according to them anyway). We certainly have a duty to support those who helped us even though we should not have been there in the first place. It will be interesting to see how long they have to wait in detention or whatever before being granted visas or some form of residency given our pathetic record on such issues, eg the Tamil family from Biloela.

Given that 90% of the ANA trained by the US walked away or were Taliban sympathisers, I wonder how many had infiltrated the ranks of Western helpers?

1 hour ago, kgwilson said:

…Given that 90% of the ANA trained by the US walked away or were Taliban sympathisers…

A sobering point, KG. They all knew the foreigners would not stay long and that the Taliban have long, inter-generational memories. The safest thing for them and their families was to bend with the wind. 

1 hour ago, kgwilson said:

…I wonder how many had infiltrated the ranks of Western helpers?

I suspect many of these are ethnic Hazara, who are despised by the Taliban due to being of a different Islamic sect.

They and their families face appalling violence for this alone.

Australia has had afghans before: they ran the camel trains which supplied the outback. As a kid growing up in Alice Springs, I knew to stay away from "the rajah" who was rumored to like boys.  Those cameleers didn't bring their own women and they often stayed here till they died.The rajah was an elderly retired cameleer who lived in a suburb now called Saddadeen , named after him.

As far as religious nutters were concerned, I don't think this happened. At Maree, to this day, there is the remains of an old mosque and my only impression of this was about how poor they were back then.

My understanding of the afghan war was that the US at one time thought that Khazakstan was the next Saudi of oil for the planet. To cash in on this, you needed a pipe through afghanistan. Well they were wrong, and anyway the pipeline is going to China I think.

I would quite like to be corrected on this stuff if I am wrong.

• Informative 1

The yanks may well have secured the airport but it is surrounded by Taliban with plenty of rockets to fire at arriving or departing aircraft. I notice they mostly have US HumVees and US armaments other than their ubiquitous AK47s. The US needs to set up a dialogue with the Taliban political arm to try and ensure they can get people out without the rank and file mob armed to the teeth going crazy.

• Agree 1

In keeping with their mean and tricky form, the government excluded sub contractors from the application process, Only primary contractors and direct employees were offered the chance of applying. About what you'd expect from this lower than a snake's belly bunch of deadbeats that have the hide to call themselves a government. This current clown even makes Bill McMahon look good. Before our present idiot came along, I had always rated McMahon as our worst PM ever. But I think this dill will hold the title for a long long time to come.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1