Australia abandons our allies to the evil Taliban

Old Koreelah

In regard to the military equipment left in Afghanistan, they will probably make good use of the vehicles and some small arms. As far the aircraft go, I don't think we'll see a scenario like Iran where they still maintain Tomcats and Phantoms despite sanctions. My best guess is that the Afghans would scrap the U.S. craft for cash and buy Russian for more than one reason.

Firstly, Russian aircraft are better suited to the Afghanistan environment. Take the case of the Afghan Army Blackhawks. Originally, the Americans bought them Mil-17 helicopters, I would guess the hot and high model. When they were due for replacement, the Yanks shoved Blackhawks on them, which the Afhgans weren't impressed with. They couldn't do what the Mils could in regard to operating at altitude and extreme conditions.

Secondly, Russia may yet end up being a relatively friendly, supporting country. The Afghans can get cheap reliable and capable aircraft, parts,service and maintenance deals, and also pilot training in Russia. It's hard to see the Taliban wasting too much time and money trying to use U.S. aircraft that have no long term future there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...