Political Correctness Rant

old man emu

I understand Stacey's complaint about smoking ceremonies and welcome ceremonies being carried out by indigenous representatives.

Firstly, I find it hypocritical for indigenous people to 'welcome' us. After all they claim we are the descendants of unwelcome invaders!

Why are welcoming us now? Is all forgiven?

Secondly I do not see the logic behind having a bunch of strangers pretending to welcome me to the land where I was born.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

When I was last in Alice Springs, only indigenous people were allowed to have fires. Opposite us was a continually smoking " comfort" fire, yet we were not allowed to have anything similar.

We ( the missus and me ) were fixing up a previously black-tenanted house which had got burned in a fire. It ( the house ) was a tilt-slab place with the only timber used for roof trusses.

The black family tenants were good people according to the neighbors, although they certainly had nothing like a garden. So they had no hose to put out the fire and they sat on the fence watching it.

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

What does proud mean? I see lots of people described as 'a proud nunanjali man' or similar. Does that mean there are embarrassed Nunanjali men? Can I be a proud Irish man? 

At my dad's funeral, the celebrant described him as a "proud Yorkshire man"

I can't really see the problem with the word proud.

Proud (to be Australian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...