Astronomy. . .

Phil Perry

679323306_M80ANDM81GALAXIES-PICTAKENSUNDAY22NDMAR2020.thumb.jpg.b18e77d5ee050f6a62c729c546438113.jpg

These Galaxies, M81 & M82, are approximately 11.8 Million Light Years from Earth,. . BUT,. .. I dunno wehther that means to the centre of the Galaxy,. .. or to their edges. . .

Taken in multiple images in RAW, ( Ask Red 750) and processed by my Microlight Pilot Mate Rob Greaves, in Cornwall, England.

• Like 1

Maybe when I first read it, it was a long way away !

but is closing very fast in Galactic terms, only another four billion years to see that sight, !. ( (770 kiloparsecs) french )

" The Andromeda–Milky Way collision is a galactic collision predicted to occur in about 4 billion years between two galaxies in the Local Group—the Milky Way (which contains the Solar System and Earth) and the Andromeda Galaxy. The stars involved are sufficiently far apart that it is improbable that any of them will individually collide."

Is that LESS than one light year ?.

" 4 x 10: 9 Miles = 0.00068043118 Light Years "

spacesailor

Great picture. Awesome. What would Galileo say if he saw that?

I expect that our galaxy looks a lot like that from out there!

And if they should happen to be searching the universe, trying to find intelligent life out there, our little 'third rock' from a minor star mightn't even show up in their telescope. In fact, even if they did notice Earth, it might not fit THEIR criteria for a 'Goldilocks' planet.

But of course, even if they did notice our little solar system, nestled in our outer spiral arm, of our galaxy, and actually found our third rock from the sun, and decided that this planet DOES fit their criteria to be suitable for life as they know it, and found it HAS got life on it, there's every possibility that they might decide that there are no life forms that THEY consider 'intelligent'. And then continue looking elsewhere.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is interesting to consider the composition and form that life forms from other planets would take.

Looking at the chemistry, which we believe to be universal, a Carbon based biochemistry would appear to be the only workable one. For the type of intricate tasks that the manufacture of machinery requires, there would need to be a grasping "hand" with opposable digits. The body would need legs for movement. After that, the rest of the body form would be the product of the life form's evolutionary history.

• Thanks 1

It is interesting to consider the composition and form that life forms from other planets would take.

Looking at the chemistry, which we believe to be universal, a Carbon based biochemistry would appear to be the only workable one. For the type of intricate tasks that the manufacture of machinery requires, there would need to be a grasping "hand" with opposable digits. The body would need legs for movement. After that, the rest of the body form would be the product of the life form's evolutionary history.

It could be, though that we are limited in imagination by the world we live in. Imagine one of those freaky looking fish from the deepest oceans. If there were a fish that was highly intelligent its ability to imagine what is required for life would be limited by its experience. It would probably believe that all life forms of life must have fins. It might imagine that life could only exist if surrounded by enormous pressure. Perhaps it would assume that it would be impossible to live in anything but salty water.

• Like 2

we are limited in imagination by the world we live in

True. It's hard to imagine a life form that does not contain the basic elements of all landbased life forms. In our experience, in order to make things, you have to be able to manipulate smaller things. Insects like ants bees and wasps have to handle small things to make their extensive colonies, and develop means of communication to ensure the well-being of the colony. So our image of a life form from elsewhere in the Universe will always include grasping/manipulating appendages. There would have to be a vision organ. Other than those two Earthly organs, the composition and body form could be anything.

• Like 2

There is no other life as we understand it, in our universe. Man has spent countless thousands of years, dreaming about life on other planets, sending spacecraft to the greatest distance we can arrange, within our puny, primitive means - and still Man has found - precisely nothing.

Planet Earth is the despicable Jail of this Universe, no other life form wants to meet us, or greet us, or have any contact with us, in any material form that we recognise.

We are a violent and evil Planet, full of humans killing each other, by the thousands, on a daily basis - or plotting against each other, or against other nations, to gain advantage from them.

We destroy anything in Nature that we consider is in the way of our advancement, technologically and economically.

We are here to live a life that is a test, to see how we perform and shape up for the next life, which is in another dimension that we cannot ever reach, until we die.

We see a glimpse of that other dimension when we see a fleeting vision of the spirit world, when we see ghosts, or confounding visions appear in front of us, that are gone as fast as we realise they are there.

Who has seen or even entertained strangers that appeared from nowhere, and then suddenly and mysteriously disappeared as fast as they appeared? There are many stories related about these type of experiences.

We live in the material, visible world - but few people understand there is a spiritual, parallel world, which we struggle to grasp the concept of, such is the weakness of our physically-oriented minds.

Sorry to hear you've got nothing to look forward to after Death, Spacey - I look forward to Eternal Life after Death, and leaving behind the trials and travails of Planet Earth.

The bottom line is - what are we placed on this Earth, as individuals, for? Just to live, eat, breed and then die, like the lowest life form? I believe human beings are a special life form, and we all have that ability to rise above Earthly restraints.

What you describe is merely human imagination descriptions of the Afterlife, these are highly unlikely to be precisely as described. We must be very wary of being taken in by other peoples opinions and views, not the Truth.

We are superior to other forms of life because WE say so. God exists and looks like us because some of us think so. I'd like something a lot more reliable than that. Of ALL the" different" religions only ONE and perhaps NONE are correct, so the majority of theists don't believe an any "one" god, they believe in only "Their"particular one.. An Atheist only adds one more god you don't believe in to anyone elses list.. Thinking you NEED one doesn't create one. If you just die you have no worries left.. The elements you are made from come from far parts of an OLD universe. The heaver elements formed by the violence of black holes and forces we could not comprehend.. Nev

• Like 1

We are superior to other forms of life because WE say so. God exists and looks like us because some of us think so. I'd like something a lot more reliable than that. Of ALL the" different" religions only ONE and perhaps NONE are correct, so the majority of theists don't believe an any "one" god, they believe in only "Their"particular one.. An Atheist only adds one more god you don't believe in to anyone elses list.. Thinking you NEED one doesn't create one. If you just die you have no worries left.. The elements you are made from come from far parts of an OLD universe. The heaver elements formed by the violence of black holes and forces we could not comprehend.. Nev

When debating some christian people I know I sometimes get to the point when I am getting bored. So for a bit of entertainment when they suggest that the universe must have a creator i will suddenly say "yes now I get it, there must be a god, praise be to Allah" "nnnnooooo not that one" they will usually say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

" Now they take your shoes and scatter Lego pieces around the floor. "

Not in 1945 !. "The Lego Group began making its famous plastic interlocking blocks in 1949. "

It was quite common for people to succumb to the old Ether knockout drops, then later Chloroform.

I will always remember the "headspins" when counting backwards from ten, with the mask over my face and the drops hitting that mask.

spacesailor

• Thanks 1

1/3rd of model engine fuel for diesels was anaesthetic ether. Some used solvent ether which was cheaper. I had to add iso propyl Nitrite to my 1/2A Teamracer engine fuel In 1956. It's still about . A friend has it in his (extensive) engine collection. Nev

Aaaah, sweet memories. Saving and buying a motor. Then buying ether and caster oil. In those days, chemists sold chemicals! 'Borrowing' a cupfull of Kero from dad. Listening to hearsay on 'how to'. Then,

Hours of flicking the propeller, of cut fingers stinging from the ether, soothed slightly by oil. The first splutters, then finally finding that right combination of mixture and compression....... Then fiddling the proportions of fuel. All of this took many days.

In due course, it taught me the care and feeding of infernal engines.

From the entire Universe to little motors. Now we are getting somewhere.. I know more about little motors. They probably got me fit. Chasing free flight 's for miles (and Miles). and I suppose one way and another got me into REAL planes and in other circumstances maybe would have got me into space . Nev