Astronomy. . .

Phil Perry

1571994466_DumbellPlanetaryNebula1Hrexposure75mmPentaxtelescope.thumb.jpg.de51e63e083774adbba59d7e504ab94a.jpg

The Dumbbell Nebula, also known as Messier 27 (M27), is a bright, large planetary nebula located in Vulpecula constellation. The nebula lies at a distance of 1,360 light years from Earth. ( Info from wiki )

Pic by Rob Greaves.. ( Cornwall ) Single One hour exposure using 75mm Pentax telescope.

• Like 2

Owl Nebula... the galaxy nearby at lower right right is just known as NGC3556. Owl Nebula is 2600 Light Years distant, and the galaxy is 46 Million Light Years from us, . . ( approximately )

Pic by Rob Greaves 09 / 04 / 2020

2057955068_OWLNEBULA.thumb.jpg.865603ccf94c6de87f3a58a53a52e61c.jpg

The Owl Nebula is a planetary nebula located approximately 2,030 light years away in the constellation Ursa Major. It was discovered by French astronomer Pierre Méchain on February 16, 1781. When William Parsons, 3rd Earl of Rosse, observed the nebula in 1848, his hand-drawn illustration resembled an owl's head. Wikipedia

Magnitude: 9.9

Radius: 0.91378 light years

Distance to Earth: 2,600 light years

Coordinates: RA 11h 14m 48s | Dec +55° 1′ 0″

Distance: 2,030 ly (621 pc); 2,800 ly (870 pc) ly

Constellation: Ursa Major

Apparent dimensions (V): 3′.4 × 3′.3

• Like 1

If my tiny brain recalls correctly the "then named" alpha Centauri was 2.5 light years away. The universe is truly "inconceivable". Most religions consider this planet is the centre of the universe and it's all about 6300 years old. Even My TB thinks that is extremely unlikely but I could be separated from my head for saying so in many parts of the world. Very disappointing. Nev

• Thanks 1

Looking at space photos, it makes you wonder why there's life at all. It could quite easily have all remained dust, rock and gas. But now we know that there is life, the law of averages would mean there's a lot of it out there. And there's always a possibility that there's no aliens ripping around in flying saucers; we might be the most advanced life form in the universe. If that's true, we have a long way to go if we are the best on offer.

• Thanks 1

The range of possible temperatures OUT THERE is extreme as well as the need for WATER and CARBON and heavy metals, and some means of protection for cosmic rays.That needs magnetism. If we keep this up we will need a dog to explain it. But then where did the dog come from? . Don't ask Me. I'm just a biological organism in a hostile universe, here by some miracle or two(million) and a lot of time passing. Nev

• Thanks 1

With some of those galaxies being so many thousands of light years away I wonder if they are still emitting light or radio waves. Our own sun is supposed to have a finite life, so there could be dead planets where we are seeing light.

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

I was told " it's the left-over bit " after HE made our world. AND it's not empty, just full of DARK matter.

BUT

If all those black holes swallow each other, will that last humongous black-hole burst it's sides and become the second BIG-BANG.

spacesailor

If all those black holes swallow each other, will that last humongous black-hole burst it's sides and become the second BIG-BANG.

spacesailor

Good theory spacey; probably a good chance of it happening. Maybe it's happened before many times and our big bang is the 1,000,000,000,000th. successive big bang over a long, long time.

And maybe that time is not what we think it is. It might go in a circle so the first big bang adjoins the last. Most things that work well in nature are round shaped, so why not time?

Edited by Guest