49 Years and a day

Jerry_Atrick

Have you ever thought, "Hey, I wonder what so-and-so is doing these days" after not seeing/hearing from them (nor making the effort to get in touch with them), so decide to do a web search and find their names in the obituary column of one of the main newspapers (or similar)?

Happened last night..

49 years and 1 day...

RIP.

Its a most saddening moment, to stare at an obit whilst wondering 'how was his (or her) life?'. And 'Wouldn't it have been great to catch up!'

Yes, I know the feeling.

But it's impossible to keep in contact with everyone that has touched our life.

NOT even MY own brother !

He had a Domestic with his wife, took the kids and disappeared off the face of the planet. Must be 40 year's ago.

Hint : with (kids) names of "Monique", "Lexington","Jason". You would think they would be easy finds,

BUT

He had access to most countries in the world, after serving in the English, American & NZ navy's. (So could even be Russian)

Wondering IF the other side thinks of US left in the dark.

spacesailor

I'm organizing a reunion of my school's 1969 HSC class. That's 50 years ago. I'm happy to say that I have managed to contact most of them (thanks be to Lockedin and White Pages). However, against some of the names on the list is the word "Deceased". Fortunately the number of those is pretty low, considering that we are now 67 or 68.

The sad thing is seeing the names of those of those who have died in the past year or so, and knowing that you'll never really know "how was his life?" On the happy side, there'll be a lot of blokes to see and swap school horror stories with. We went to a Christian Brothers' School.

Maybe not quite the same, but one of the female staff who worked for me 40 odd years ago in a computer centre in Sydney, decided to put together a group on Facebook. We managed to contact and join up quite a few of the female staff, but some have gone missing. We could only locate a couple of the male staff. At least one of them had passed on.

Just hobbled to the polling place.

Saw a very old man, could hardly get up out of the chair we get (when decrepitid).

When making 80 years then No driving license, could the pollies let us off tbe Compulsory voting. As it takes a lot out of aged people to get there.

spacesailor

• 3 weeks later...

You don't have to vote, but you do need to turn up and get your name crossed off at the polling booth. My son tells me that he got his name crossed off and dropped the voting paper straight in to the box. The official there said he couldn't do that, but I think his reply would have been along the lines of "I just did"

I used to work on state and federal election day as a polling official and we alternated manning the door and directing people to lines a-e, etc based on their surname, crossing names off the electoral roll and handing out ballot papers.. And counting the votes after polling closed.

I was in Kensington, and inner Melbourne 'burb. As I recall, about 15% of the ballot papers were spoiled, some out of voter confusion (and we tried our best to work out their intention - the party scrutineers would usually object so we would put them in the too hard pile). Most either had profanities or illegible scribbles, but a giid number had intricate diagrams male and female genatalia drawn on them...

Once (in thise days) one's name was marked as having received a ballot paper, they had to put it into the ballot box. So, Spacey - not sire hoe your grandson went unless he placed the shredded paper into the ballot box.

I didn't say ALL are not worth voting for. It just makes it hard(er) to find them. Not voting is a futile action and disrespectful of the efforts many good people have made to get that "right" for you in the recent past. Most of the world doesn't have that right. You must have got it too easily or you would respect it more. It's your only chance to "fix" the system without blood in the streets and a less predictable acceptable outcome.. Nev

Those who set the agenda are to blame for the crap state of national governance. The Murdock media are there to make money and have no qualms about crucifying a decent candidate for being honest.

The result: marketing over substance, instant media grabs instead good policy.

Have you ever thought, "Hey, I wonder what so-and-so is doing these days" after not seeing/hearing from them (nor making the effort to get in touch with them), so decide to do a web search and find their names in the obituary column of one of the main newspapers (or similar)?

Happened last night..

49 years and 1 day...

RIP.

YES,. . .I did that and found that one of my 1970s Flying Instructors,. .. A Crop Duster Pilot with many X thousand hours of experience, had died the month before, and I then wished that we'd had the interwebbythingummy many years before so that I could have had the benefit of his thoughts before he joined the great Departed. . . .I realised that I had been deprived of, not just his wisdom about flying machines and their many vices, . .But I had lost forever his Wit and great conversational ability on the subject. . . .

I find this very sad indeed. . .. . .

Have you ever thought, "Hey, I wonder what so-and-so is doing these days" after not seeing/hearing from them (nor making the effort to get in touch with them), so decide to do a web search and find their names in the obituary column of one of the main newspapers (or similar)? Happened last night.. 49 years and 1 day... RIP.

It's 50 years since I was in my final year at high school, and left the company of people I had spent my school year with. I posed the same question to myself, so decided to arrange a reunion. I got onto the interwebby and used Linkedin and the White Pages to find people. So far I've made contact and have email addresses for 44 of about 60, plus have learned of about 6 who have passed away. The date and location for the reunion have been set.

The reunion will be held on the 20th July. Do you know why it's on that date?

Happened last night..

49 years and 1 day...

RIP.

I left it too long with one old mate. I was recently in his part of the country and tracked down his brother, who simply said he'd died a couple years before. Bugger.

Lesson, don't leave it too late.

YES,. . .I did that and found that one of my 1970s Flying Instructors,. .. A Crop Duster Pilot with many X thousand hours of experience, had died the month before, and I then wished that we'd had the interwebbythingummy many years before so that I could have had the benefit of his thoughts before he joined the great Departed. . . .I realised that I had been deprived of, not just his wisdom about flying machines and their many vices, . .But I had lost forever his Wit and great conversational ability on the subject. . . .

I find this very sad indeed. . .. . .

Sorry to hear that, Phil... Thankfully, the insructor I had that imparted his wisdom onto me is still around - ironically he retired to the town I intend to retire to... (or should I say, see out my days as I don't intend to retire)...

It's 50 years since I was in my final year at high school, and left the company of people I had spent my school year with. I posed the same question to myself, so decided to arrange a reunion. I got onto the interwebby and used Linkedin and the White Pages to find people. So far I've made contact and have email addresses for 44 of about 60, plus have learned of about 6 who have passed away. The date and location for the reunion have been set.

The reunion will be held on the 20th July. Do you know why it's on that date?

I cannot think.. apart from Hazel Hawke's birthday - but somehow I don't think that is it. What is the significance?

I left it too long with one old mate. I was recently in his part of the country and tracked down his brother, who simply said he'd died a couple years before. Bugger.

Lesson, don't leave it too late.

Sorry to hear that, too.. Your lesson is the best advice.