Grammar Police Gazette

old man emu

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An example of the stupidity of using gender neutral pronouns. Does this make sense?

A body was found on the bathroom floor. The ambulance was called to their home but they were dead before they got there.

Whose home? Who is dead? Who got there? 

There was a post on Facebook saying Alan Jones had changed their profile photo. Since when has Alan Jones been plural?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, red750 said:

An example of the stupidity of using gender neutral pronouns. Does this make sense?

A body was found on the bathroom floor. The ambulance was called to their home but they were dead before they got there.

Whose home? Who is dead? Who got there? 

More an example of poor writing. Pronouns, whether gender neutral or not, should only be used after the noun they refer to has been used, and also that the link between the pronoun and its noun is clear.

I find it difficult to fathom why we use a plural pronoun to refer to a singular noun. For example, "Everyone has their own opinion on the topic". Everyone is a singular noun, but what singular pronoun have we got for it? "Everyone have their own opinion ..." grates on the ear.

• Like 1

Probably life is a bit easier for those of us who dwell on the outer edges of the gender spectrum.  I'm a man, I've always identified as male, never felt particularly feminine, certainly don't mind being called "he" or "him".

But I can also imagine that it may be different for someone who's more to the centre of the spectrum.  They don't feel strongly male OR female so they, understandably, resist being put in one of those baskets.

I don't know that using a generally plural term like "them" or "their" is necessarily the answer, perhaps a new one could be created that's non-gender specific.

Must be even more difficult in places like France where words are heavily gender based, and the surrounding words cop an extra "e" if the subject is feminine.  (Mind you, both the Police and the Army are feminine, so it doesn't always go along gender lines!)

We have been told that all sentient creatures have feelings. Do we get rid of dog and bitch; bull and cow; buck and doe; billy and nanny; etc., etc., and so forth? And what about those fish who start life out as males, breed and turn into females? Transsexual tuna!

• Haha 2

They may have feelings, OME, but they can't speak any human languages, so I don't think they'll be upset.

I think you're overestimating the size of the "woke" community Peter... like Antifa, it's an enemy manufactured by the hysterical right-wingers to dog-whistle the punters.  

• Like 1

"Everyone" is a strange fish. It's what is called a 'portmanteau' word,  a word that results from blending two or more words, or parts of words, such that the portmanteau word expresses some combination of the meaning of its parts. It is a blending of a noun - one (as in the Royal singular) - and the adjective every. That means it needs its accompanying verb to be in the singular. 

Everyone is bringing his or her own lunch. That adds too many words to the communication, despite being grammatically correct. However, in conversation and in informal writing it is used more often in the plural: Everyone is bringing their own lunch. 

One could quote many examples from the media where the noun/verb inflection is incorrect. You conjugate the present tense of the verb to be as “I am, you are, he is, we are, you are, they are.” A common one is "The Australian team are ...." A team has many members, but they only for a singular unit.

But languages evolve and what might have been considered incorrect a hundred years ago, might now be the norm. 

The Spelling Checker

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a quay and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
It's rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
It's letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 year later...

Hate to play the heavy here, but there is something grating on me, not only on this site, but more widely on the web, so not having a shot at anyone in particular, as it applies to many.

RECON V RECKON

Many people are using the word "recon" to mean believe, think, etc.  eg. I recon this or that...

The correct word is "RECKON" as in reckoning.

RECON is an abbreviation of RECONNAISANCE, and pronounced re-con. I also learned, looking it up on the web, that RECON is a gay men's organisation, and the name of their clothing and website. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, red750 said:

heinousdeficiencies.thumb.jpg.f1f4815146ad3077eeadbefaf3d9934f.jpg

I thought that there might be some logic in the spelling of those words that stand in defiance of lexicographers' rules. I had a quick look at the etymology of "heinous" Old French hainos and the only change is the "a" has become "e". "Inveigh"  from Latin invehere similarly has just had a letter change. 

But the verdict on some spellings comes from the full recitation of the mnemonic:

i before e,

Except after c,

Or when sounded as "a",

As in neighbour and weigh.

A word like counterfeit  is in that form because it comes from from Old French contrefait.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2