Grammar Police Gazette

old man emu

You are partially correct. Both the 2nd Person singular and 2nd Person plural forms in the past tense of the verb to be are "you were". The 1st Person singular past tense form is "I was". So the use of "I were" is a grammatical inexactitude.

Your statement " Female version "If you were a carpenter" sung by Joan Baez. Same error. " is incorrect. Cheers.

That's the trouble with justice in Oz. The NAZI getting to the judiciary to pervert the course of justice.

On Appeal: Upon examination of the evidence it is clear that the reported decision is incorrect. Let the Record show that the correct judgement is to be in favour of the INFORMANT. The allegation of perversion of Justice is dismissed "No Case to Answer."

• 3 months later...

Here is something to mull over.

There is an interesting construction involving the verb "to go" and a subsequent action which is dependent on the doer initiating an action. This construction has two forms:

1. I will go and ...(do something). e.g. I will go and get a spanner.

2. I will go to ...(do something). e.g. I will go to get a spanner.

Is one of these correct and the other incorrect, or is there a subtle difference in the meanings, such that, in their place, both are correct?

I think both are correct, at least in common usage. In fact the second would sound slightly strange to a native English speaker I'd think. Unless you're using it with the addition of the destination, eg "I will go to Bunnings to get a spanner", "I will go to the tool shed to get a spanner" etc.

In reality the second is probably "more correct" than the first, but the first would be far more common.

I think that the "go and get ..." is the Present Tense usage. To my mind it reflects a dropping of some words whose use would be redundant in a conversation. If expressed fully, I imagine the form would be "I go and I will get ...."

The second form gives a reason for going, "I am going (in order) to ..." I am going to

There is also the Future tense sense of "to go" ; "I am going to travel by train"

Dropped words are very common in many dialects. My family and relatives were all born in Yorkshire. Some of my older relatives would say I'm going t shop.

But then as my 91-year father says

Yorkshire Born, Yorkshire Bred, Strong in't arm and weak in't head

Here is something to mull over.

There is an interesting construction involving the verb "to go" and a subsequent action which is dependent on the doer initiating an action. This construction has two forms:

1. I will go and ...(do something). e.g. I will go and get a spanner.

2. I will go to ...(do something). e.g. I will go to get a spanner.

Is one of these correct and the other incorrect, or is there a subtle difference in the meanings, such that, in their place, both are correct?

OME, you have to stop this practise of wandering around castrating mosquitoes!

• 2 years later...