Grammar Police Gazette

old man emu

6 hours ago, onetrack said:

Never heard of the saying, "put an egg in your shoe and beat it", either. But I didn't have a totally sheltered childhood, so it must be a good old Tassie saying.

When we annoyed someone, we got, "make like the birds, and flock off!"

Nah, it's a Yank saying. 

• Informative 1

I was looking through Facebook this morning, and came across a post by a guy who is a photographer, and produces calendars. Brilliant photographer, with some magnificent shots of birds and flowers.

But the text on his post makes it look like he dropped out of kindergarten. No punctuation, capitalisation, basic spelling errors. Unbelievable. Even misspelled 'Calendar'. Maybe he was posting from an iPhone using his feet.  

• Informative 2

• 4 months later...

Here's one for O.M.E.

Why is the abbreviation for "Number" written as "No." when the word "Number" does not contain an "O"?

(Note: I know the answer, just thought you guys might be interested.)

• Like 2

In more refined circles, we refer to an exiting via the window as defenestration.

A word invented for one incident: the "Defenestration of Prague," May 21, 1618, when two Catholic deputies to the Bohemian national assembly and a secretary were tossed out the window of the castle of Hradschin by Protestant radicals (the pair landed in a trash heap and survived). It marked the start of the Thirty Years' War.

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...