Grammar Police Gazette

old man emu

That post about read and red reminds me of spelling reform1. There was a model plane magazine here in Aust where the editor unilaterally enacted sr1 which was to replace all the ea spelling with the hard "e" sound, so you would write that you red that book.

Personally, I didn't like it even though I saw the logic. Anyway, the next editor gave up on the idea too.

Esperanto was a better idea but it didn't take off , not that I would have helped much.

Esperanto did take off! .

And is flourishing.  The reason for not hearing about it ,

is simply " you cannot be payed to teach it " .

Which rules out the the formal ' education ' system. 

Almost every country has an " Esperanto club " ! ,That will help tutor or be a ' local ' guide .

spacesailor

• Informative 2

The group of letters L,E,A & D produce two homonyms - "el" , followed by the short "e" and ending in "d", giving "led", or the short "e" is replaced by the long "e", giving "leed".

The most commonly appearing group is "lead", which can be either a verb, a noun, or an adjective. "led" has a much simpler life as it is only used as the past (preterite) tense of the verb, unless you are using the past continuous tense, "was leading".

So the four-letter group used as a verb means "to guide," from Old English lædan.

Used as a noun it has a number of meanings - the metal; the place in front of something going forward; a device to enable something to be guided, and as we have seen, a term to describe a vein of mineral in surrounding rock.

It's adjectival form is used as a descriptor for things containing the metal, or as a descriptor based on the "to guide" meaning (lead singer).

I hope my effort to lead you to an understanding of these homonyms, I haven't led you down the garden path on leaden feet.

• Like 2

You are supposed to hold a bit of beetroot on your fork when you ask the table" you can beat an egg but what can't you beat?"

Lotsa people have never heard this before, or they pretend they never heard it.

And, marty, I never heard the one about the egg in your shoe either.  Maybe I had a protected childhood, old movie-wise anyway.

• Like 1

Never heard of the saying, "put an egg in your shoe and beat it", either. But I didn't have a totally sheltered childhood, so it must be a good old Tassie saying.

When we annoyed someone, we got, "make like the birds, and flock off!"

Edited by onetrack