Quickies part 2

red750

So let me get this right. Your son who is obviously young, fit and able, moves into a fine family home in the suburbs of Sydney, while you, in your advancing and weakening years, moves into a shed in the country that needs to be made habitable. Is there something I'm missing here?

I have a mate who lives in a shed in a remote country region, quite distant from people and services, but it's because his wife shafted him when they divorced, and he never really recovered from it financially.

I don't own a house either, thanks to being shafted ruthlessly by a bank, and left virtually destitute - but I live in a nice house in the city thanks to the kindness of my defacto, who just happens to love me unconditionally, and who has a heart of gold. I think it must be terrible to get old and have your living quarters and conditions degrade to little more than being the living poor.

Good for you OME it looks as if things are going the right way and there is nothing wrong with living in a shed. I did it while I built my house and the places I lived in in England were not as comfortable as an Aussie shed.

What you are really looking for is shade and insulation from Summer heat and warmth in Winter. not too hard to find, especially from a Mr Fixit as you appear to be.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There are places you wouldn't house a dog in that you tolerate for holidays etc. A lot of the clutter we have around us is not necessary especially when you consider what total effort has gone into a house just like all the ones around it where people are really SAD in so many ways. . IF OME can  escape from all that $#!T he's achieved some thing that eludes most of us. Nev

• Like 3

Your surroundings are as important as your house. If I won Lotto and had a limitless choice in housing and location, it would be a green and leafy spot with plenty of room around it, and no close neighbours.

I'm always amazed at how many expensive houses have such crappy locations - high traffic volumes with the associated fumes, a view of only brick walls or a thousand ugly roofs, nary a tree on the block and greenery limited to a few pot plants. I used to enjoy living in the Wheatbelt and Goldfields of W.A., particularly amongst the bigger trees. But the climate is more favourable near the coast.

Now I live about 20kms inland, only 5kms from the CBD, in what is reputedly a "desirable" inner-city suburb, with reasonable-sized blocks (about 560-1000 sq m), a minimum level of "infill" (houses built behind houses) - but the encroachment of development and the constant push for "increased density" never goes away and the developers are always slavering at any opportunity to do more subdivision.

As it stands, I live on a 560 sq m block, with a 3BR, 1 bathroom double brick and tile house that was built in 1957, and is in good condtion - but the beauty of this block is the established garden and big trees.

My better half loves her greenery and gardening and it makes a big difference having something green and restful to look out on. The office has a big picture window that overlooks the back yard and we have a big birdbath only about 2.5 metres from the window, and it's great to watch the honeyeaters and other birds drinking and bathing in the birdbath.

We have the Red Wattlebird here, the biggest of the honeyeaters, they're quite raucous, but extremely efficient at cleaning up the insects, as well as sipping nectar. The New Holland honeyeaters are quite often out in force as well, with whole families sometimes making a huge racket as they all bath together, 6 or 8 at a time.

• Like 3

An average adult emu weighs 35 kgs. 45 mph is 20 metres per second. At that speed it has a Kinetic Energy of 1750 Joules. 

So, what is a Joule?  A Joule is is equal to the work done by a force of one Newton acting through one metre for one second. You know what a metre and a second are because you have practical experience of them, but what is a practical description of a Newton?

So now you have an idea of what a Newton is. Now here is an explanation of what a Joule is:

So, an emu running at 45 mph (20 meres/second) has an energy content of 1750 Joules. If that energy was applied to the left side of a Toyota Kruger

2020 Toyota Highlander XLE AWD, front.jpg it could move it one metre to the right.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

21 hours ago, facthunter said:

…A lot of the clutter we have around us is not necessary especially when you consider what total effort has gone into a house just like all the ones around it where people are really SAD in so many ways. ..

So true, Nev. Forty years in the one house accumates too much stuff that’s too good to throw out (parents raised during the Great Depression…).

I’m nearly finished building our camper and the aspect that most excites me is it’s simplicity.
When we are getting away from it all, why bring it all with us?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Koreelah said:

Forty years in the one house accumulates too much stuff that’s too good to throw out

Forty years in one marriage accumulates lots, too.  I couldn't calculate the amount spent on unworn clothing over the past ten years. Even if I sell it a less than $5 per item, I'll get well over $1000. Then there's the cutlery,  crockery and glassware. Not to mention the towels and linen.  I'm 50-50 on the Tupperware, but there's not loads of it. All I'll need is a set of saucepans, a 4-place dinner set, a few coffee mugs and a couple of glasses; a couple of towels and a change of bed linen.

But don't try to dump those offcuts of wood and steel, and that funny, wiggly thing that looks like wigwam for a goose's bridle. I might use them one day.

• Like 3

Every bloke who's handy with his hands needs a good scrap pile of "useful bits and pieces". Lengths of wood and steel are critical items in the scrap pile, along with various lengths and thicknesses of electrical wire and cable, plus various containers of fasteners of all types and sizes. If there's one thing that bugs a bloke, it's not being able to lay ones hand on a suitable piece of repair material when it's urgently needed. The alternative of going to Bunnings doesn't bear thinking about, because they charge $3 for a little packet containing about 10 screws!

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, onetrack said:

Every bloke who's handy with his hands needs a good scrap pile of "useful bits and pieces". Lengths of wood and steel are critical items in the scrap pile, along with various lengths and thicknesses of electrical wire and cable, plus various containers of fasteners of all types and sizes. If there's one thing that bugs a bloke, it's not being able to lay ones hand on a suitable piece of repair material when it's urgently needed. The alternative of going to Bunnings doesn't bear thinking about, because they charge $3 for a little packet containing about 10 screws!

Even us handy hands challenged need a good scrap pile (usually caused with perfectly good materials while trying to do something useful - that became useless).. We need something to ogle, admire, and call, art...

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1

Improper influence

It is an offence punishable by fine or imprisonment to seek to influence improperly members of a Redistribution Committee, members of an augmented Electoral Commission or a Redistribution Commissioner in the performance of their duties.

In 1978 a Minister’s appointment was terminated following a finding by a Royal Commissioner that the Minister’s action in seeking to influence Distribution Commissioners in relation to names of electoral divisions had constituted impropriety. That's not the same as gerrymandering.

In representative democracies, Gerrymandering  refers to political manipulation of electoral district boundaries with the intent of creating undue advantage for a party, group, or socio-economic class within the constituency.