Quickies part 2

red750

Three friends married women from different parts of the world. The first married a Greek girl and told her that she was to do the dishes and cleaning. It took a couple of days, but on the third day he came home to see a clean house.

The second man married a Thai girl and gave her the same orders, to do all the cleaning and cooking. The first day he didn’t see any results but by the third his house was clean and dinner was on the table.

The third man married a Scottish girl. He ordered her to keep the house clean, dishes washed, lawn mowed and dinner ready for 6pm.

For the first two days he didn’t see anything, but by the third day some of the swelling had gone down and he could see a little out of his left eye.

Absolutely sick of these celebrities whinging how much they're suffering from the pressures of fame.

This morning my biscuit disintegrated into my coffee as I was dunking it. I got a dessert spoon trying to rescue it but it had turned to mush.

Life doesn't get much worse than this .. .

Bully beef and biscuits

[ATTACH]50728._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Why call it "bully beef"?

There are at least two thoughts on how this canned meat product came to be called "bully beef". Corned beef has long been a common type of preserved meat. The "corned" part comes from the method of preserving the meat by mixing it with granular salt, and these grains were small like seeds, for which "corn" is an old term. Storing foodstuffs in sealed containers began in around 1810 when the Napoleonic armies needed a way to get perishable food to their troops. Initially the food was in glass containers. In 1810, another Frenchman crossed the Channel and obtained a British patent for the use of tin cans to hold the food. But I digress.

There are at least two thoughts on how this canned meat product came to be called "bully beef". The French have a term "boeuf bouilli" which is boiled beef. The recipes I found used fresh beef, but the cooking process is the same for corned beef. Some etymologists suggest that "bully beef" is a corruption of the French term.

I don't like that opinion for the following reasons:

1. Canned corn beef was commonly available in Australia from the mid-19th Century.

2. A commonly available brand at the time was the Hereford brand whose cans carried a picture of a Hereford bull.

3. [ATTACH]50735._xfImport[/ATTACH]

4. The French term for corned beef is "boeuf sale" - salted beef.

5. In Australia we commonly associated the term "bully beef" with the Gallipoli campaign. Australian troops had not entered France before that time, so would not have encountered the term "boeuf bouilli"

According to Australia’s official historian Charles Bean, the canned meat particularly lousy.

“Over-salted bully in the heat of the midday or afternoon slipped in its own fat across the platter or mess-tin, swamping stray flies as it went,” he wrote in his diary. 

Things got better in WWll: 

image.jpeg.2163e089d617a986c0462c56e3ab03e3.jpeg

image.jpeg.ea811e6fc640f1f7c2776b8ac8ed6f3b.jpeg

Bully Beef is never made from prime beef. Culled cattle (eg. bulls past their prime and older, less fertile cows) are used for processed products. Because of the toughness of older beef, it's used in things like bully beef and processed sausage type foods. Bull meat can be tougher than old cow meat, but by the time it's corned and cooked, it's almost edible.

I sometimes wonder if that has a connection with the origin of the name. Bully Beef is a bit easier to say than Old Cowey Beef.

And those first Cans were lead soldered together. A sailing ships crew looking for the passage north of Canada died from it. spacesailor

I thought that the Franklin expedition, which spacey mentions, had died as a result of lead poisoning from tinned food, but analyses of the bones of the victims show prolonged exposure to lead. By the time of the expedition, the Royal Navy was commonly using tinned meat. The firm of Goldner supplied 33,289 lb of canned meat to the Franklin Expedition. 6 Goldner supplied the Royal Navy with 2,741,988 lb of canned meat between 1845 and 1851. 7 The contract to supply the Franklin Expedition was one of its first commissions and represented less than 2% of the total amount of canned meat it supplied to the Royal Navy. If Goldner had been producing tainted meat in 1845, it is hard to see how the firm could have won repeated orders for the next seven years.

This scientific paper: https://www.hakluyt.com/PDF/Battersby_Franklin.pdf -  provides evidence that the primary source of this lead was not tinned food, which was in widespread use in the Royal Navy at the time, but the unique water system fitted to the expedition’s ships.

Solder tinned joins in cans were common otherwise they would not have been airtight. The metals is 50/ 50 lead and tin, most of which ends up in the lap of the joint. I doubt it had much lead poisoning effect.

Mining places like Broken Hill and Mt ISA record high blood levels of lead. Roman aquaducts had lead pipes in the system and did cause lead problems. Many exterior paints once had high lead formulations. Red Lead was the name used. It's Pb2O5. (tri plumbic tetroxide). There's another lead oxide I used to use in valve seat (inserts) installation . Yellow Lead monoxide and glycerine mixed . Lead (Pb) is included in the PlumBer trade but not much lead is used by them, today. Nev

I can remember in my young days all the house water pipes were lead.

Wasn't the reason lead was supposed to have killed those expeditioners, the fact that that was all they had to eat.

Back to lead pipes. My parents moved house and needed to put up a curtain in a downstairs room. Dad would fix it, he knocked a nail into the picture rail over the window, that was covered with wallpaper. Result a quick shower as it was a water pipe. Fixed with a piece of wood bashed in. Probably still there 60years later.

I remember reading an article about blood lead levels in shooters. Assuming a non jacketed or uncoated projectile, they said there was likely to be more chance of lead problems from handling rounds and then not washing hands before eating, rather than atmospheric lead during actual shooting. That's also assuming an outdoor range and not indoor where atmospheric lead is a bigger issue. Physical contact is not a big problem with most sporting shooters as most use teflon coated projectiles or jacketed ammo in the case of hunters. I did know one bloke who had to give up shooting, as he had a side business making projectiles and his levels were very high from breathing the fumes during the lead melting process.

With the Roman lead pipes, is the lead water soluble or does the friction of the water flow erode physical lead into the water?

Under normal conditions lead does not react with water. However, when lead comes in contact with moist air reactivity with water increases. A small lead oxide (PbO) layer forms at the surface of the metal. When both oxygen and water are present, metallic lead is converted to lead hydroxide (Pb(OH)2):

2Pb+ O2 + 2H2O -> 2 Pb(OH)2

Lead compounds are generally soluble in soft, slightly acidic water which is basically what stomach acid is.

• Sad 1