Are there any Creationists out there?

Bruce

Exercise is also important and this is just becoming recognized and researched. We have a problem in that we are hard-wired

( doctors included ) to avoid exercise except when needed. This has survival value for stone-age people. They have a hard enough time getting enough calories to survive without wasting any on useless pursuits, like climbing Ayers Rock.

But I personally know some old people who are really suffering from lack of exercise and not much else.

One of the things about the Mediterranean diet was that they have more walking there.

In the meantime, some advanced doctors are writing prescriptions for exercise.

I think there's some very long-lived people in Japan, up near the 120 year mark. Diet high in fish and vegetables...

It's not just what we eat, but when and how much. I believe it's Okinawa which has the oldest people; they are reputed to eat until they're only 3/4 full.

I have no idea about people's obsession with longevity. I have no interest in living longer. I can no longer do any of the things I want to, for one reason or another. Maybe it would be different if I won a jackpot draw of Ozlotto or Powerball, but trying to avoid having services cut off and being down to $0.03 in my account four or five days before pension day, fortnight after fortnight, is a pain. I'm four years past the cancer that killed Cornelia Francis, so I consider I've had a good run.The physical implications of the disease and treatment have put paid to any plans or dreams I may have had. I don't make any plans for the future. That may sound depressed. I don't think I am, just frustrated.

• Agree 1

Believe it or not Red there is always someone worse off. It just gets more difficult to find them. You are still sending posts and making our day. If you didn't feel down occasionally you wouldn't be human.. Have you exhausted all avenues for some extra assistance for your financial situation?. Neither you nor I will be running marathons anymore... Nev

• Like 1

Hang in there.

WE are all getting older, & getting the "rusty" joints that curtails our movement.

It's my first year with an arthritic hip, & I'm waiting to "get used to the Pain" of hobbling instead of swaggering down the road. LoL

Can't even throw my leg over a bicycle, have to lay it on the ground & put a leg into the middle of the frame. (and still "Creek).

[ATTACH]49390._xfImport[/ATTACH]

spacesailor

Wirraway2.thumb.jpg.e7904885b11e51bf17b76632c778a9a8.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry to see you so down, Red. I bet you've got a good few years left in you; your contributions to this forum make a difference.

I agree about the longevity obsession. My pet peeve is the money spent preventing heart disease from giving a quicker and more humane exit than the lingering decline and death many suffer.

I should have bought shares in Packer Wackers- heart start machines are getting more numerous than street lights.

I've met sensible, intelligent people who have DNR (do not revive) tattooed on their chest.

• Like 1

I'm not down, O.K. Well.... Maybe a bit, but not out. I spoke to a pollie conducting a meet and greet in the shopping centre this morning and mentioned insurance, (See my separate thread on that subject). He totally agreed with my concerns, but as a State pollie, had no influence on the Royal Commission, but said he would raise it with the Federal Member. In the mean time, I keep waiting for the Cash Cow to call.

I DO want to live for an extended time.

As a war baby born to very bad times and seeing how much better peoples lives, as well as my mine ( Thanks Mr FLEMMING for penicillin ) I survived a deadly disease, and am now a proud Great-Grand-dad.

How much science will advance our civilization, in different spheres I can only watch "sci fi " movies & marvel at it.

Even TV has now got, Organic light-emitting diode, ORGANIC S in the tele "yes Mr. spock but not life as we know it".

And a NEW cure for Asthma, We shall await with wheezing breath on this one !.

I'm asking for an "allergy-Bracelet" for my POVERTY.

Can't forget this miracle of Spell-check, (every sentence).

Since the Horrid forties, We have had one "miracle after another.

Now a quick change for any CREATIONIST who may-be watching.

On TV today, had a program on The Chicxulub impactor asteroid . Now the view is the "gypsum" Ash burnt in the sky & cooked everything bigger than 25 kg weight.

So may-be: GOD, smote the earth and rebuilt it better in seven days.

spacesailor

Good for you spacesailor. You have good reason to want to live longer. I have no grandchildren and looks like I never will. My sons are 45 and 44, and neither have had steady girlfriends, or at least have never spoken of them. Might I also add, they are not of the other persuasion, either. Both are involved in very social things, and have many friends, but seem happy remaining single. Maybe the example my wife and I set scared them off.

• Like 1

IF you really thought about the risks involved you should stay single. You give "someone" a lot of power over you when your brain is not particularly at it's most sane.. IF you are fortunate /careful enough to have the caring, understanding and beautiful partner this doesn't apply, but by Jove (religious slip) some of them turn very feral when "Love" turns to something dreadful.. Nev

Yes to all of you. (and thank you)

Being a Great-Grad-Dad, has a big drawback.

It takes your children away from you, As "They are the baby-sitter's", that you once-was.

My "you are fortunate /careful enough to have the caring, understanding and beautiful partner this doesn't apply, l.. Nev" has been putting my socks on for me lately, as this pain in the Hip stops me bending down that far.

I need Longer arms or shorter Legs to fix this dilemma. LoL

My brother stayed single, ! (silly bugger He thought girls wanted his money) But passed away aged 56 Only one tooth-filling, best of health, and his heart blew-up like a sponge, told have a heart-lung transplant, then got diabetes.

( that's when I made sure the terror-man didn't get one cent of that money)

(RED can I loan/ give you a few Grand-kids)

spacesailor

...(RED can I loan/ give you a few Grand-kids)spacesailor

Now you're talking! Australia could learn much from other cultures, such as our indig. people. Too many kids in this country never see the elders of their family, or any others for that matter. Old people are packed away to retirement villages replete with bingo and card games. Every so often, as a special treat, they might get to see some little kids.

Meanwhile, their families battle with ever-rising cost of childminding and care of the elderly.

What a clever country.

• 1 year later...

In the shower this morning, I thought of a new test for religious belief, at least for creationist types...

When they get sick, do they go to a priest or to a doctor?

I think that somebody who chooses to use prayer instead of medicine is probably a true believer. In the middle-ages, prayer was the only treatment for disease and there are plenty of faith healers still around. You read of miraculous cures in some evangelical type churches. Typically, the person hobbles in and dances out.

Only cynics doubt the cure and wonder if its staged or if the person being cured is semi-hypnotized and not really cured.

Personally, I don't know anybody who passes this test of belief.

I believe that it is just as good to go to a priest as to go to a doctor. Most times a doctor can fix you, when you know what is wrong with you.

Try going to a doctor when there is something unknown and in my opinion, they know as much as a priest. You will be sent for tests for this and for that, then scans and whatever else they can think of. Before you know it, you have recovered and still don't know what the problem was. When you get older the doctors will prescribe this drug and that drug, until you rattle when you walk. You can be sure that when you do feel ill, it ill be the result of this drug interacting with that one and you will go into hospital. That is the place where you cannot get away from the medical procession and will probably need a priest, if he can get there before the undertaker.

I believe that it is just as good to go to a priest as to go to a doctor. Most times a doctor can fix you, when you know what is wrong with you.

Try going to a doctor when there is something unknown and in my opinion, they know as much as a priest. You will be sent for tests for this and for that, then scans and whatever else they can think of. Before you know it, you have recovered and still don't know what the problem was. When you get older the doctors will prescribe this drug and that drug, until you rattle when you walk. You can be sure that when you do feel ill, it ill be the result of this drug interacting with that one and you will go into hospital. That is the place where you cannot get away from the medical procession and will probably need a priest, if he can get there before the undertaker.

Luckily in the modern world you could seek your medical advice and care from anyone you like, going to the doctor is not mandatory but personally I would rather enjoy the extra decades of lifespan that modern medicine is likely to give me compared to the short lives of my ancestors, but that's just me ?