Are there any Creationists out there?

Bruce

hey me too Marty... My wife did everything from the cookbook for the CSIRO diet and I lost weight..but its crept back on... I need to give up beer but I like it too much.

Don't mention beer... the wife and I are doing "dry July". Only 23 days left...

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's a free kick for the creationists.... See that model? the Dixielander ? Well it proves heaven exists on account of having been there.

One day, me and the dog were watching it climb in a thermal and then it suddenly disappeared!

Obviously it was taken into heaven, there is nowhere else possible. It was a windless blue day.

We tried for about 15 mins to find it in the sky, but it had gone for sure.

Then a week later we found it in a neighbour's paddock. It must have been chucked out after admission.

[ATTACH]49239._xfImport[/ATTACH]

IMG_0584.thumb.JPG.19aca72d355bde41e89b4f64f2272edd.JPG

If heaven is "above" the earth has to be flat. Since we have seen it from space, and no other heavenly body is anything put spherical the earth isn't flat. The water would spill off the edges, if it was and gravity would pull is to the middle of the disc. If heaven is above the English it's below us or all around us really. All this old stuff was written when people knew little about why things happened and being egoistic we MUST be HERE for a reason. There has to be a plan.. WE are a speck of dust in a unending universe. What was all the rest of it put there for? Nev

Bewildering question Nev. I know there must be a reason, you know multiple big bangs to create the elements carbon etc. Earth with water and grass and breathable air. Coming and going of Dinosaurs. Homo sapien evolving from ape. The survival of my ancestors from the beginning, the one in a 100,000,000 sperm to make it to the egg. All in place for what must be the final answer - ME. I don't know what you guys are doing here, probably just padding.spacer.png

We might just be figments of your imagination Cosmic.

Or we might all be figments of a computer program like in the movie. That idea actually is about 1000 years old, when it was surmised that we might all be figments of a demon's dream.

Gosh do you mind if this figment has a beer to come to grips with the idea?

The other day I was sitting in a cafe and heard two middle-aged ladies, seated at the table behind me, discussing this very topic. (Just in case you think I was ear-wigging, they weren't precisely quiet about it.)

Their attitude seemed to be a creationist/"intelligent design" viewpoint - lots of "what do those scientists know" type comments and "If it wasn't all a design, why is the Earth in exactly the right position relative to the Sun to give liquid water and the right amount of heat" etc.

Wasn't my conversation, so I didn't make the comments I wanted to... which would be something along the lines of "There's billions of stars with countless billions of planets out there, in the one universe we know of, and quite a few of those planets are in the 'Goldilocks' zone so many of them probably have liquid water, and there's a pretty good probability that many of them have some form of life on them, and there may have been / are / will be developed and even intelligent life in lots of cases."

The viewpoint that everything in the known universe has been arranged just so that we have the perfect ecosystem to live in, is much like the water in a puddle saying "this hole in the ground fits us exactly - it must be an intelligent design!"

• Like 1

Most things in nature eat each other. That's the very violent truth so It's not exactly NICE behaviour.. The earth being 6300 years old is part of Intelligent Design. The octopus got better eyes. (The optic nerve isn't in the middle of the retina) A dog can smell about 100 times better. Turtles don't have a housing problem. Sharks don't get cancer and have been unchanged for millions of years so what about the 6300 y.o. universe there?. God made the fossils old. Honestly you have to be joking. We are a rare item but billions of years are enough time for us to evolve as part of this planet's biosphere from a simple beginning.. All the complex materials come from the older parts of the universe (Black holes.). Gold, lead, Uranium etc We are here because we are here, and if we are in the image of god why did he/ she/ it have the faults we have? That's illogical and unlikely

.. Man made god in his own image more likely. That's why he's Jealous, Vain, needing worship and making a hell for the bad guys (who he made as well.) Since he also made the Devil, (or he's not much of a GOD if he had no control over that "creature", fallen angel or whatever it was.. This stuff is so mad It can only have been conjured up by a human with all their "human" failings.. Things are still evolving before our very eyes in THIS world.. Did that just start recently?. Nev

• Winner 1

At the meat-sheep farm here, there are thousands of birds. lizards and other mainly small animals which would be killed if we were to change to growing grain or other vegan food. We would have to plough up their habitats.

If you could just hear the cacophony of magpies and other birds you would agree that this would be a nasty thing to do.

And as for the sheep, they have a good life until their lights go out.

I reckon the vegans are the nasty killers here.

Whether you are a vegan, a greenie or a bogan wearing Australian flag underpants, everyone on this planet leaves some sort of adverse footprint.

I respect the right of vegans to feel bad about using animals for food, but a lot of what they do in their daily lives is responsible for the deaths of animals. Driving a car, wearing clothes, reading the paper, they all kill animals directly or in the production of almost everything they consume or use. You can't even walk without squishing the brains out of some very small life form.

I think it's cherry picking. A lot of people worry about the cuter life forms with a face, but how many microbes do the vegans kill when they boil up their lettuce sandwiches.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
... as for the sheep, they have a good life until their lights go out.I reckon the vegans are the nasty killers here.

I broadly agree, Bruce. Unfortunately lots of domestic animals don't "have a good life until the lights go out". Growing up on a farm I was part of a system that inflicted untold suffering on innocent critters. Even though most farmers have some empathy for their animals, farms are not as Disney tells it. Some things have to be done. I know at least one beef grower who almost weeps when he takes cattle off to market.

Much as I try to respect the beliefs of others, I detest the vast suffering caused to our livestock by the live export trade, which is partly due to Islamic slaughter preferences. Australia is little better; our abattoirs are few and far between and livestock is often trucked vast distances before slaughter. It's encouraging to see mobile butcheries emerging as a sunrise industry in this country.

Science is now starting to find that plants have feelings too. I guess it's an issue of one species doing what it has to do in order to survive- without inflicting unneccessary harm on others.

Old K, very few non-farmed animals have a good life. They are beset with parasites and they are not wormed of foot-bathed or sheep-dipped or drenched or any of the things the farmer does to look after his sheep.

The terrible suffering of innocent wild animals is proof to many that there could not possibly be a good and caring god up there.

On another tack, thinking about Marty's old ladies and the planet which was "just right" in nearly every way...Why should it be 100 percent right, when all of the others are 0%? Just suppose it was 60% right, with the flaw being that industrial civilization will unlock the time-bomb of frozen methane?

On another tack, thinking about Marty's old ladies and the planet which was "just right" in nearly every way...Why should it be 100 percent right, when all of the others are 0%? Just suppose it was 60% right, with the flaw being that industrial civilization will unlock the time-bomb of frozen methane?

They weren't MY old ladies! LOL

If you want 60% right you don't have to go out of the solar system. Mars is habitable - with a lot of work. In a universe with billions of stars, there may be a huge number of planets that top 99% right.

I broadly agree, Bruce. Unfortunately lots of domestic animals don't "have a good life until the lights go out". Growing up on a farm I was part of a system that inflicted untold suffering on innocent critters. Even though most farmers have some empathy for their animals, farms are not as Disney tells it. Some things have to be done. I know at least one beef grower who almost weeps when he takes cattle off to market.

Much as I try to respect the beliefs of others, I detest the vast suffering caused to our livestock by the live export trade, which is partly due to Islamic slaughter preferences. Australia is little better; our abattoirs are few and far between and livestock is often trucked vast distances before slaughter. It's encouraging to see mobile butcheries emerging as a sunrise industry in this country.

Science is now starting to find that plants have feelings too. I guess it's an issue of one species doing what it has to do in order to survive- without inflicting unneccessary harm on others.

I notice that farmer's associations are trying to prevent laboratory-produced meat (from animal stem cells) from being labelled "meat". This is actually encouraging as it means they view it as a threat.

In a decade or two I can imagine laboratory-grown meat, where no animal is harmed or experiences pain (or anything else) being a viable alternative. Hell, my great-grandchildren may grow up being appalled that humans once actually killed animals for meat.