SILLY SIGNS. . . . .LET'S START A THREAD ?

Phil Perry

They imported two similar truck models from Brazil also and burnt themselves out of the medium truck market. Very expensive mistake.

Not wrong there - I also remember our school run receiving the very first Volvo B7R that our company got..... a bit flasher than the OC1617 but a true mongrel if the linkages between the gear lever at the front and the gearbox weren't lubricated properly. Our driver would try to go from 2nd into 3rd and totally mess everything up by going to 5th! He then had to sort everything out - apart from that issue, the B7R's weren't a bad bus....

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wrong there - I also remember our school run receiving the very first Volvo B7R that our company got..... a bit flasher than the OC1617 but a true mongrel if the linkages between the gear lever at the front and the gearbox weren't lubricated properly. Our driver would try to go from 2nd into 3rd and totally mess everything up by going to 5th! He then had to sort everything out - apart from that issue, the B7R's weren't a bad bus....

I never criticised the drivers of rear engined buses after I drove a few new ones on delivery runs. Something is going on waaay down the back, but the coach body is so well insulated, with the engine/transmission in it's own compartment, that you only have feel, the tacho and the speedo to work out whether it will shift or has shifted. At one time Greyhound became so frustrated with transmission failures that they put four speed constant mesh transmissions in all the new coaches on the grounds that the driver would be embarrassed with all the crunching going on behind the passengers.

One of my most memorable experiences was when Melbourne operator Frank Bono bought a rolled coach with an RFW chassis, pulled the wrecked body off it and asked me to supply a new coach body. It had a Roadranger transmission with a Detroit 8V92 engine of around 290 horsepower.

I had to drive it in on Ballarat Road to a Footscray transport depot for shipment, and Frank had wired a plastic chair from the lunch room for a driver's seat, otherwise I was out in the open air with just a steering wheel to hang on to.

An 8V92 was no slouch in a prime mover with a semi trailer on the back, but with just a chassis and wheels, the power to weight ratio was magic, and I spent the first few intersections dragging cars off at the lights.

Eventually someone started revving and engine, and at the next set of lights I dropped the clutch and gave it heaps!

Nothing happened, and then there was a massive push in the back which nearly dislodged the chair. RFW had built the chassis light and the design required the body to provide stiffening. What I'd done was torque the chassis so the engine squatted behind the rear axle until kinetic energy took its course, humped the chassis up in the centre, then let it go!

Following a History session, a friend's 12 yr old Daughter was asked ( by her school teacher ) . . . to research and write up any more notable historical military victories by various nations.

And ( This is the truth ) this is what she found when researching on the net for notable military victories by the French.

[ATTACH]48530._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Jeeze,. . .I'm still cleaning the coffee out of my keyboard after seeing this in an email this morning. . . . .

>

Bloody French !. . . .De Gaulle wrote a history of France. . . .but for some unknown reason, forgot to mention Waterloo. . . . . .

>

482492529_Frenchmilitaty.thumb.jpg.623182ee04a3b5df4295d34e3295d671.jpg

Following a History session, a friend's 12 yr old Daughter was asked ( by her school teacher ) . . . to research and write up any more notable historical military victories by various nations.

And ( This is the truth ) this is what she found when researching on the net for notable military victories by the French.

[ATTACH=full]41278[/ATTACH]

Jeeze,. . .I'm still cleaning the coffee out of my keyboard after seeing this in an email this morning. . . . .

>

Bloody French !. . . .De Gaulle wrote a history of France. . . .but for some unknown reason, forgot to mention Waterloo. . . . . .

>

A well known Google bomb. From the Urban Dictionary:

"An ironic mistake by Google, which said that no results can be found for "French Military Victories" if you click the "I'm feeling lucky" button.

The irony is that France has actually won more battles and wars over the last six hundred years than any other country in Europe."

A well known Google bomb. From the Urban Dictionary:

"An ironic mistake by Google, which said that no results can be found for "French Military Victories" if you click the "I'm feeling lucky" button.

The irony is that France has actually won more battles and wars over the last six hundred years than any other country in Europe."

Quite right Marty. . . . .but amusing all the same . !

Bagging the French is fun! Famous for all the wrong reasons. A popular deodorant is sold in France with an advertising claim that it lasts for 72 hours. Leads me to question, why? Soap and water twice daily does the trick for me.

I must say here that I am a confirmed Francophile. I love the country, the food, the people ( they can be a bit "nose-in-the-air" in Paree. . .) OH. and of course .,THE WINES . . . .!

The lingo is a bit of a bugger ( f you didn't study it at school ). . but I'm getting there slowly.

What!? Are you on the M25 heading for Felixstowe?

OME

Nah,. . .that'd be the A14 mate. . . . . Normally go Through Dover to the ferry or the Chunnel. . . . . the train is really fast, . . . but the on board catering is a bit "British Railways curled up egg sandwiches" with coffee flavoured brownish mud. . . . . .