SILLY SIGNS. . . . .LET'S START A THREAD ?

Phil Perry

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's approach that the "highly noise sensitive communities" would have their knickers in a knot about - I'd hazard a WAG that takeoff, is where the major noise problems originate from.

This has to rate as the most idiotic sign of the whole thread. Only in America. If they're so "noise sensitive", why don't they just sell up, and move away from the airport flight path?

How can a pilot "fly quietly"?? Do takeoffs at 40% power and crash into one of those "noise sensitive" communities?? I could understand a sign warning of flight curfew times and flight paths to reduce noise - but "fly quietly"? Gimme a break.

A quiet aircraft coming in my direction would have me breaking out in a cold sweat! - because I'd know he was in trouble!

Of course, if I was a Jap in WW2, it would be a deadly-quiet Beaufighter with Bristol Hercules sleeve-valve radials, that would make me break into a cold sweat! The Whispering Death!!spacer.png

... "highly noise sensitive communities"...This has to rate as the most idiotic sign of the whole thread. Only in America. If they're so "noise sensitive", why don't they just sell up, and move away from the airport flight path?...

Trouble is it's NOT only in America. That NIMBY disease is widespread in Oz.

So if they bought a house cheap by the airport ( which was there first) and they don't like a bit of aircraft noise) they should have done a bit more research beforehand.

"Tuff Titty's".

Happens in many places around the globe.

I LOVE A BIT OF AIRCRAFT NOISE, but maybe that's just me.spacer.png:plane:spacer.png:plane:spacer.png:plane:spacer.pngspacer.png:thumb up:spacer.png

Yee Ha!

Planey,----------- that's me.

I wouldn't fly an RA aircraft into or out of Caloundra, and probably not an old GA aircraft either.

Anyone taken a look at your EFATO options there?

30 maybe 2 small flop downs with probable injuries

12 same

05 small area close to end of strip then scrub, probable fatal

23 scrub, probable fatal

I'd leave that one to be developed.

[ATTACH]48566._xfImport[/ATTACH]

WDCaloundra.thumb.jpg.31ab4d688438bfcb740c2330ac1c875f.jpg

I wouldn't fly an RA aircraft into or out of Caloundra, and probably not an old GA aircraft either.Anyone taken a look at your EFATO options there?

30 maybe 2 small flop downs with probable injuries

12 same

05 small area close to end of strip then scrub, probable fatal

23 scrub, probable fatal

I'd leave that one to be developed.

I can't say I really agree with that Turbs, I've done hundreds of ops out of Caloundra, mostly without any concerns but it does take some careful thought. Unfortunately the Council agree with you and it's probably only a matter of time before it'll be another airfield lost to history.

I agree with you about 30, I never use it though perhaps I'm a little fortunate in that I mostly don't have a problem with cross-winds, so with any hint of a westerly I use 23 instead.

12 isn't really a problem, if you can't put down in the overrun you would usually have enough height to make it to one of the beaches, albeit ending up with a bent plane probably.

05 keeps you on your toes but the only time I really had to hold my breath was on a very hot day fully loaded in the old 172. Didn't enjoy that one, should have used 12 instead but other than that you've got Nicklin Way if you really had to ... then the golf course and then endless beaches.

23 really is the safest of all, if you can't get down on the overrun/approach, which is only small bushes, you should be able to clear the small patch of larger stuff and then there's miles of farmland with largely empty roads.

I've changed my viewpoint over the last five years following about four EFATO crashes which were fatal, and on inspection of the airstrip surrounds, had to be fatal.

It's not about the pilot having any concerns; it's about the exact time that engine quits, and if that's at the point where you normally hold your breath, that's the live chamber about to go off in the revolver.

I chose my words carefully SQ; but to clarify, I am only referring to an area which you glide towards under full control, and what you have to land on consists of dense mountain ash, or other trees or solid objects which slice and dice you, and my definition of EFATO is an engine failure from the time the wheels leave the ground until the start of the crosswind turn.

I chose my words carefully SQ; but to clarify, I am only referring to an area which you glide towards under full control, and what you have to land on consists of dense mountain ash, or other trees or solid objects which slice and dice you, and my definition of EFATO is an engine failure from the time the wheels leave the ground until the start of the crosswind turn.

if your glide area immediately after takeoff does consist of horrible obstacles I think it is even more important that you DON'T think of it as certain fatal material if things go quite as thinking like that will IMO make you try for a turn back which is more likely to be fatal. Landing/crashing straight ahead into trees at less than 45knots will definitely hurt but is still mobs safer than stalling it in from 2 or 3 hundred feet.

It is pronounced differently than you might think...I used to work with a woman with that surname and she made a point of letting everyone know the correct pronounciation. Funnily enough, another colleague (male) at the same time had the surname 'Fluck'.

Yes, I am aware of that, didn't stop the Aussie from calling it otherwise. I believe that the correct pronunciation is more like "Koontz".

In regard to the other, I am aware of a kid of German heritage who's surname was Fuchs, and teachers wouldn't pronounce it correctly.

Reminds me of an excellent piece of toilet wall graffiti I read in an English university campus.

Idly gazing around whilst otherwise engaged, I read the words neatly written above the toilet roll - 'Play shithouse tennis - see other wall'.

I dutifully turned to look at the other wall, but couldn't see anything written there. I turned back to read the notice again, & again saw nothing on the opposite wall.

Then realisation dawned. . .