Silly Picture Thread.

Phil Perry

In New South Wales, however, there are dozens of gramma pie recipes and references, from the earliest in 1885 through to modern times. Although some of these are in Sydney papers, most are from the north coast, from Newcastle up to Lismore.  An article in the Sydney Mail in 1922 describes the pie as “a special Northern Rivers dish”. The Maitland Daily Mercury, in 1936, recorded the regional nature of gramma pie, recording a local as saying “The best kind of pie in the world…but it takes the people of the North Coast to make them.” But don't confuse them with similar-looking Butternut pumpkin. Technically, the gramma is not a pumpkin but a member of the squash family. It is sometimes confused with the Butternut pumpkin, but the Butternut was not developed until the 1940s.

The vegetable thrives in warm climates, which is why it was probably little grown in the southern states. Leeton’s Irrigation Record recorded, in 1914, that the gramma was unknown in the Riverina, but was a prolific crop in the Hunter Valley. There was much talk at the beginning of the 20th century about its suitability for stock feed. However, it also proved an economical ingredient for household use, particularly in pie-making. The gramma pie had its own category in the Grafton Show by 1909. In 2015, the Hunter region convivium of the Slow Food movement nominated the gramma to be included in Slow Food’s Ark of Taste, fearing that the species was in danger of dying out.

Not only does gramma pie, with fresh cream, taste great, the seeds have been scientifically shown to have an anthelmintic component. The aqueous extract of the seeds of Cucurbita moschata showed efficacy as an anthelmintic in humans. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780123756886101100 That means they get rid of worms.

For those vegans amongst us, why not try a spaghetti bolognaise using tofu or mushrooms of TVP, tomato paste and your choice of herbs and spices for the sauce, mixed into spaghetti plant (Cucurbita pepo)

• Informative 2

My maternal grandmother made Gramma pie when I was brand new and she would have been about 75. That was in New Lambton, a Newcastle suburb. Like all kids I was a picky eater,, but I didn't mind that pie and I remember the seeds in it and the intense orange colour.. Nev

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, red750 said:

776157234_purewater.thumb.jpg.b358d87ca2a58709d5b6d585608f0f71.jpg

When I was young I hiked up a creek with a lot of boulders named Stoney Creek ha ha anyway I was enjoying the cool fresh clean water on my journey and when I finally arrived at the pool below the waterfall I found a dead goat split open with its intestine's floating. Didn't even throw up just missed out on the cool swim.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I can recall a few stories of blokes stopping at a well or watering hole after dark, pulling out some of the water, boiling the billy, and making a "brew" and cooking some grub - then hitting the sack.

But the horror was revealed next morning, when they found either a dead sheep, or a dead snake, floating in the well or water hole!  :yuck:

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 2

Dad spent several years in the early 1930's, water-boring with an old trailer-mounted percussion drill rig, in the Murchison pastoral region of W.A., and even as far down as the Northern Wheatbelt farming areas.

He installed multiple dozens of bores all through these areas during this time (about 1933 to 1938) and also equipped them with windmills and tanks. But he said he often struck some pretty bad quality water, and had to abandon more than a few bores.

One of the strangest events he told us about, he had finished a bore and pumped some reasonable quality of water out of it, although it tasted quite heavily mineralised.

He had 2 or 3 other blokes helping him on this bore (he often worked alone for weeks at a time), and they all had a good drink of this new bore water, and used it to make tea and do their cooking with - but the next morning, they all found that they were effectively blind! - because something had made their tear ducts produce a gluey substance, that very effectively glued their eyelids shut!

He said it was quite a terrifying time, as nothing they tried, could get their eyelids unstuck! They had to wait a couple of days before the gluey secretion relaxed, and they could get their eyelids open again!

He said he never ever found out what it was that brought about such a bad bodily functions reaction (although a few bores gave them the runs) - but he said he was convinced it was some odd mineral compound in the new bore water, that was responsible.

However, I believe it was entirely possible they were coincidentally struck down by Bacterial Conjunctivitis, right as they sampled the bore water, and they blamed the new water, when it was highly possible they had just contracted the complaint, right at the same time as they were sampling the new bore water.

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

On 13/08/2022 at 2:03 PM, red750 said:

776157234_purewater.thumb.jpg.b358d87ca2a58709d5b6d585608f0f71.jpg

I remember once being on a train in East Java that ran parallel to a big canal. The opposite steep bank of the canal was lined with houses, all with a wooden ladder from the house down to the water. You would see one householder doing the washing, the next gathering a bucket of water to take up to the house, and the next one hanging off the ladder crapping in the water. A lot of the villagers think cholera and dysentery are caused by evil spirits.

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1