Silly Picture Thread.

Phil Perry

You can get imperial and metric bolts and nuts from retailers who supply to industry, sometimes obscure sizes are not available, but from 1/4" 5mm on upwards most sizes are there. Threaded rod in inch and metric are available at most hardware stores, up to abpot 3/4" 20mm sizes. UNC as far as I know is only different from Whit by the flank angle, they can usually be used together.

The AN system is different from Whit and metric in that the diameter and length are the deciding features, rather than diameter alone. A 3/8" whit bolt 2" long is called 3/8 * 2", whereas a 3/8 whit AN bolt would be AN 3-20.

• Informative 1

On 20/08/2022 at 6:13 PM, facthunter said:

the AN system in aircraft.

The AN (or Army/Navy) nomenclature was introduced during WWII for the purposes of uniformity and simplicity of identification of hardware. For nuts and bolts, it made logistics easier. Then they simply developed designations for other hardware. (Damn! My copy of the Blue Bible is packed away somewhere so I can't get examples from it.) Later they replaced AN with MS, and later NAS. But it is all based on the diameters and thread counts of UNC and UNF products. 

When I was living is Sydney, I had a nut and bolt supplier who could provide Metric and non-Metric stuff. The best thing about that mob was that they were OK with supplying just one or two of what I needed, so I didn't have to buy pre-packaged items and have left-overs about the place. As well, what they supplied was betetr quality than the Chinese stuff from Bunnings.

• Like 3

Just an aside 1.

" Many retailers sold things in both - allowing the consumer to determine which one they wanted to use, " .

I fell for that crap !.

My 36 INCH steel ruler is in   1\10 & 1\20th of an INCH .

Plus normal French readings on the opposite  edge .

SO

What is 1\4 inch in 1\10 ths .?

Remember NO halves in the French SI .

spacesailor

• Informative 1

It's normal for us to divide inches by the negative powers of 2 as in (two to the minus 1 = a half; two to the minus 2 = a quarter; two to the minus 3 = an eighth; etc). It can also be handy to divide inches by tenths. Tenths of inches are handy when drawing plans to the scale of 1:10, 1:50, 1:100. 

I am happy to use 1/64 th of inch, my drill set is 1/64th. Yet my metric drill set has a 4 size gap between some of those drill sizes. So forever going back to the " good old day " standby. 

Imperial. 

Even my Grandson finds the same problems with metric drills.

spacesailor

1 hour ago, spacesailor said:

my metric drill set has a 4 size gap between some of those drill sizes. So forever going back to the " good old day " standby. 

Imperial. 

I've got a set of Imperial drills bits for general work, but I also have a set of Number/Letter drills bits for drilling holes for CherryMax rivets and Nutplate rivets. 

• Like 1