Bicycle Development

Sapphire

2 hours ago, red750 said:

Why????

Because they can. And to have fun, confusing onlookers.

Many years ago an old farmer told me about a local festival they had in their little country town in W.A. (I think it an anniversary of the towns founding.)

He related to us with increasing mirth, as to how a couple of the locals had got hold of a number of bikes and different-sized bicycle wheels, and had spent many days taking all the wheels and spokes apart - and then re-assembling them with mixed lengths of spokes, so the axles were well off-centre.

They then decorated the bikes for the gala run through the main street in front of the crowd - but of course, the main hilarity was around the effect on the watchers of seeing the blokes trying to ride these bicycles with offset axles.

Of course, to the onlookers, it was like the bike riders were riding a bucking bronco, with the front and rear of the bikes frames, bouncing up and down - and out of sequence, all at the same time!

The old farmer was so overcome with mirth relating to the sight of the out-of-sequence riders, he could hardly talk for laughing, and I think this added to the story.

• Like 1

The one where it's essentially a  treaded conveyor belt would take a lot of muscle to go far. Indian tried a set of wheels with flat sectioned curved spokes  and true rims "spring wheels" but I don't think they were very successful. You can see them in a Book called "the IRON  Redskin" by Harry V Sucher.   Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

6 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

How about a temperature sender at the carby?   ....  just thinking aloud here..

Who needs yet another gauge to look at? All we need is the bluddy choke mounted so it sticks out where you’ll notice it, like in the way of the throttle lever.

• Informative 1

You got hiccups Masta?     Most planes a have an OAT gauge and some cars do too for icy roads little lights come on. You could do it for a plane too.  You'd only have to look at it in conditions where ice maybe likely. We are still having Planes crash due Carb icing..  Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

13 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Most planes a have an OAT gauge and some cars do too for icy roads little lights come on. You could do it for a plane too.  You'd only have to look at it in conditions where ice maybe likely. We are still having Planes crash due Carb icing..  Nev

I fitted an indoor/outdoor weather station to my panel a decade ago. Reads temperature of cabin, air going into carby (quickly rises when carb heat is selected) and humidity- a useful indicator of icing conditions.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Bugger nev, I reckoned that ice would hopefully produce a reading of zero or near zero. 26 ! that should be safe as a carb body temperature , thought I.

If you need to measure humidity as well as temperature then it is getting too hard, just like the posters are. Yes I have seen them and learned that icing can occur at quite high temperatures of the air, but I reckon its too hard to use during flying.

2 hours ago, spacesailor said:

How would you measure humidity at hight over the surf beach ? .

Humidity is measured using a hygrometer. image.jpeg.5d128b13602572466fadf9aa30294f4a.jpegwhich gives you the relative humidity.

You check your Outside Air Temperature gauge,

then you use a probability chart A chilling prospect: carburettor ice | Flight Safety Australia

But there's an app for that! https://apps.apple.com/us/app/carburetor-icing/id1393862789

• Like 1

At 5.00PM on the 20/04/2023, which is when the crash occurred, the air temperature at Swanbourne Beach (just a little N from Leighton Beach) was 24.8°C, the dew point was 6.6°C, and the relative humidity was 33%.

Doesn't seem like the chances of carburettor icing were particularly high at that point in time, and at that location.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDW60901/IDW60901.94614.shtml

• Agree 1

Wet and Dry bulb temp reading s give a good indicator of dew point If they are close fog is likely. An off shore wind won't be high  humidity generally but a late afternoon Seabreeze can bring in FOG which is 100% rel humidity when the temp starts to drop. Carb icing relates to  humidity at LOW temps due the adiabatic expansion and latent heat of evaporation of the fuel.in the carb. itself.  Nev

• Like 1

Not relevant to velocipedes, but the news report about the Perth ditching did remark that there was no risk of pollution resulting from placing the aeroplane in the sea. Does that imply that there was no petroleum present? That has been previously found to cause poor performance of aero engines.

Sorry, my speculation was based on thursday's report, which quoted the police as saying there was nofuel spillage.

I should know better than to listen to 'news'. Anyway, I shouldn't have posted flying stuff on the 'off topic' forum.

Apologies everyone.

• Like 1