Bicycle Development

Sapphire

Here's another example of some of the Lycra mob whining about nearly being cleaned up by a road train.

But what these people fail to grasp is, this particular section of road through the Perth Hills is a major arterial route for trucks travelling from the ports and industrial areas of Perth, to the country - and it's not National Highway standard (which is 8M width of sealed surface) - but it's only 6M wide - and there's no bike lane, because there simply isn't room for one.

Plus, it's windy and hilly, and when you're a truckie with two trailers grossing around 75 tonnes, you can't just wash off 50kmh in speed, with little warning, expected to brake hard, and pull in behind cyclists doing only 40 kmh (the speed limit here is 90kmh).

Because, even if the truckie did manage to pull off that extreme stunt, it then takes a kilometre or sometimes more, for the road train to pick up highway speed again.

The simple choice for these demanding Lycra types is to stay off these roads, where there's inadequate room for two large vehicles to pass, and to leave room for cyclists, plus clearance room for the cyclist/s.

https://thewest.com.au/news/traffic/watch-this-close-encounter-between-cylclists-and-a-road-train-ng-b88702035z

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, octave said:

Space, my assumption is that pending evidence to the contrary you would regard me as one of those pricks. 

A prick is a fairly general term and could apply to a broad section of the community. spacey was specifically talking about a sub-species of prick, the dreaded lycra clad prick. Rarer than the run of the mill ordinary prick.

• Haha 2

Where I live, I recon most cyclists, eg: the ones with the lycra gear out on country roads, are in the main responsible. The dangerous ones (to themselves) are the newbies who buy the bike and gear and unleash themselves on country roads with little or no survival skills. I saw a mob like that in town one day. It was 3 or 4 couples, in their late fifties probably, and by the look of them, all the bikes and gear were new as if they'd all decided to take up bike touring as a group thing. Later on, on the way home, I came around a blind corner and there they were, all over the road like a gaggle of geese. They were all too busy talking amomg each other to realise how much of a danger they were to themselves.

I remember thinking they would be lucky to make it home in one piece, and felt a bit sorry for them. Ignorance and inexperience can easily kill the ones who are new at cycling. They are lucky it was me in a light vehicle who came upon them around the blind corner and not a truck.

• Sad 1

It is all to easy to cherry pick a few examples of bad behaviour. In fact the clip of the deliberate attempt to knock over? injure?  or kill the cyclist in no way represents the average motorist. This was a 59 year old man doing nothing wrong and the conversation around here is about "pricks on bikes" I personally feel for this human and also realise that this could happen to me.  The idea that the majority of cyclist are some dangerous irresponsible people doesn't ring true to me as a cyclist and as a motorist.  The question I would pose is do people here think that pricks take up cycling or cyclist start out as good people and become pricks?          

It is also a fact that a concerted HATE campaign against cyclists in general has been going on in a few places notably Sydney and it's Efn outrageous  I think a lot of it is directed against Clover Moore. Most cars only have one person in them and each bike is close to one less car being on the road. Surely that is something we should see as a good move. Some of this discussion makes me wonder why I'm here at all.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, octave said:

The question I would pose is do people here think that pricks take up cycling or cyclist start out as good people and become pricks? 

I think cyclists are as typical as any group in society. A certain percentage of the whole population could be described as pricks.  Some ride bikes, some drive cars, some play golf. A percentage of pricks take up cycling; I doubt riding a bike would turn a reasonable person into a self entitled prick. Pricks exist in any demographic.

Blaming the bike and typecasting all cyclists is like typecasting all firearm owners. If a prick buys a gun, he's a prick with a gun, but the huge majority of firearm owners are responsible. Same goes for bicycles.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

I can't speak for other states, but Queensland a few years ago introduced laws for the safety of cyclists whereby the motorist must keep a minimum distance (1 metre I think) when passing a cyclist. If safe to do so, it's now legal to cross double lines to allow that space. They also made the fines significant enough to encourage motorists to comply with the new laws. I noticed straight away a big change in motorist's attitude to cyclists, a level that was never seen before. These days, in my observations, motorists go out of their way to respect the safety of cyclists. I think the legislation and it's publicity brought the issue to the attention of motorists and greatly increased awareness.

As said, that's here in Queensland. It's sad to hear that it's not the same everywhere.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, willedoo said:

As an addition to the above post, from what I've seen, most motorists give the cyclists a lot more separation than the required minimum, often at least two metres or more.

This has been my experience. 99% of motorists, pedestrians and cyclists are decent kind people.  There is though a confected war propagated by the media who loves to create division and controversy.   I have not (in the real world) had angry words with either motorists or cyclist. Actually it is a lot less hostile on the road than here. 

There is plenty of research on the causes of car/bike accidents. I no longer have the energy to list the links but feel free to google.

I would agree that there are many problems with the traffic infrastructure. It seems to me though that those who complain bitterly about bikes also are first to complain about upgrades in bike infrastructure.   In many European cities men, women, kids and the elderly cycle as a means of transport.  This makes calm quiet cities that are better for cyclist, pedestrians, disable people and car drivers.  I fear that Australia has more in common with the US in terms of cities being built around the car.

Anyway I think I am fine here 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

That's pretty similar to Victoria. I go to the centre of Melbourne fairly often and the cyclists always look pretty vulnerable and exposed.  I used to cycle locally with a group but stopped after seeing some close calls due lack of care and I  didn't want  to be a part of what I considered inevitable. As a long time motorcycle rider I'm experiencing poor form by riders and other vehicles much more than in the past. It's pretty grim all round..  Pity.  Nev 

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

12 minutes ago, red750 said:

Maybe in most countries, but not the US. Nine (yes, 9) mass shootings today, one at a 16th birthday party, four dead more critical.

Yes, I definitely meant Australia. Some of our worst gun owners here are probably a lot better than the average owner in the U.S..

• Like 2

I remember back in the mid 80's spending a couple of weeks in Idaho and northern Nevada. Coming from Australia, it was quite surreal to be in a place where most people were carrying a concealable pistol. In those days, both states had no handgun licensing. All you had to do was prove you were over 18 and you could send away for one mail order. The authorities had absolutely no idea who owned handguns; they were everywhere.

• Sad 1

Years ago, it was fashionable for japanese backpackers to ride the stuart highway all the way from Adelaide  to Darwin.

One day there it was on the front page of the morning paper... the mangled remains of a bike hit from behind by a truck. The story was all about " stupid japanese who didn't understand Australia's road transport system".

I would rather have a bike track built parallel to the main road than the stock-fence they funded. I reckon that, properly advertised, that bike ride could be a big hit. In the meantime, I agree that it is foolish to ride facing away from the fast trucks. But if they had ridden facing the traffic, police with guns would shoot them....

• Sad 2

We came across the odd Japanese cyclist in our travels.

One was very odd: he carried his beloved bike to the top of Uluru.

Another was even more odd: miles from anywhere, he was pedalling this strange 5-wheeled contraption across the continent.

At least it had a roof to protect him from the sun.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I nearly got caught when the sleeve of my coat(ona cold  day) got caught on the Carb heat lever unknown to me reducing the power somewhat. There's no friction nut on this particular plane. A very rapid check and rectification removed the carb heat and I'm here to  talk about it. Even before then I generally checked Throttle full forward. check carb heat off. power check.  Nev

• Like 1

good onyer nev....  one day my engine played up until I found I had left the choke on....  good lesson, I only did that one time.

AND I have learned the hard way about carburettor icing, dunno if I can say for sure I always do the right thing now, something automatic would be good for me.

• Informative 1