Unique Australian sayings and (sometimes) Rhyming Slang

14 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

Was he a product of jewish concentration camps?

No. Roy Rene (born Henry van der Sluys, 15 February 1891 – 22 November 1954) was never in a concentration camp. He was born in Adelaide. He was of the generation that fought the First World War, but spent the war years on the Australian vaudeville circuit. Throughout World War II Rene played to packed houses in Australia. Lecherous, leering and ribald, he epitomized the Australian lair, always trying to "make a quid" or to "knock off a sheila". 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I noticed his headstone was written in jewish language, and made the connection.

Anyway, from what I had overheard when I was a pimply faced lad, Mo could never be on air this century - the cotton wool generation would be scarred for life!

• Informative 1

Rene died of atherosclerotic heart disease at his home at Kensington, New South Wales, on 22 November 1954, and was buried in the Jewish section of Rookwood Cemetery. 

No doubt his radio broadcasts were not as full of risque double entendres as his stage performances. One snippet that my father told to me was that Mo would come onto the stage with an orange in his hand. One of the chorus girls would approach him and the conversation would flow thusly:

Girl: Oh Mo! That's a lovely orange.

Mo: It is. It is.

Girl: Can I have it, Mo?

Mo: I don't know if I should give it to you.

(Girls pleads while Mo vacillates)

Finally Mo holds the orange high over the girl's head, nearly out of her reach.

Mo: Let me see ya snatch for it.

As for Rudd's Ruin, "fair suck of the sauce bottle", it was Mo who created the catchphrase, of which the correct version is "fair suck of the sav". Where "sav" is an abbreviation of "saveloy".

A saveloy is a type of highly seasoned sausage, usually bright red, normally boiled and originating in fish and chip shops around England. The word is believed to be derived from Middle French cervelas or servelat, originating from Old Italian cervella ('pigs brains'), ultimately from the Latin cerebrus ('brain'). Although the saveloy was traditionally made from pork brains, the ingredients of a shop-bought saveloys are usually a beef-pork blend.

The saveloy is often dipped in batter and deep fried, when it is known as a "battered sav". Saveloys are often the basis of the battered-sausage-on-a-stick often called a "dagwood dog". A cocktail sausage is a smaller version of the saveloy, about a quarter of the size, sometimes called a "little boy". 

At the turn of the 20th century, the saveloy was described in an Australian court case as a "highly seasoned dry sausage originally made of brains, but now young pork, salted",  but by the mid-century, it was commonly defined by its size as a 19 cm (7.5 in) sausage, as opposed to a frankfurter at 26 cm (10 in). Based on its size, you can imagine the double entendre in "fair suck of the sav", and the related name for a cocktail sausage.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Just now, facthunter said:

I never heard the SAUCE BOTTLE version till Rudd did  it. Nev

That's when his credibility started to wane,

A gripe in a similar vein - Why don't politicians get a personal issue of a hi-viz vest and safety helmet, and not be allowed a new issue until the original one wears out? I'd love to see a Premier or Commonwealth Minister do a photo-op on an industrial site wearing a dirty hi-viz vest and a battered helmet with a nickname on the front and maybe some worn political sticker around it. If they looked like that you'd be inclined to think they knew something about the goings-on at the site they were visiting.

image.jpeg.e7d9f24763aaa0d1de6cfea5c8064425.jpegimage.jpeg.3bd1fcba60c29343e65f826ca4530990.jpeg

You know, I couldn't find a photo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

You HAVE to wear that stuff on sites.

Of course everyone entering a workplace must comply with the WH&S requirements of the workplace, but my point was that wearing stuff straight out of the package when they have been to many workplaces before where they could get dirty makes them look like dorks.Why not go onto a site wearing a safety helmet emblazoned with "Albo" or "Minnsy", and so on.  How clean is your hi-viz after it has been used a few times? If you came onto a site with a new one, people would be asking who the new guy was and then setting about testing your ability to do the job.

As Polonius told his son Laertes to dress well because "apparel oft proclaims the man", one of the proclamations a polly makes at a photo op is that they know what's going on. The Emperor's new clothes don't.

It would be remarkable if all you had to offer visitors was dirty. You wear protective gear and Hi Vis when you go though some Parts of HARS.  ALL visitors would look the same.  Workers there who bothered to look would think Just another MOB of visitors Morrisson was the one who appeared everywhere with brooms and Curries and build it your self stuff and crushed Little kids with football tackles and playing fiddles trying to reinforce his "Daggy Dad"  image and 5 FLAG pronouncements with REAL Live military people there in UNIFORM to make it look more Impressive. Save the accolades for the REAL POSERS.

#3 Version of NEMISIS is on tomorrow  at 8 PM. FEATURING "wait for it"...........Non  other than...... Sco Mo... in person.. .Nev..

On 11/02/2024 at 12:28 PM, old man emu said:

Rene died of atherosclerotic heart disease at his home at Kensington, New South Wales, on 22 November 1954, and was buried in the Jewish section of Rookwood Cemetery. 

No doubt his radio broadcasts were not as full of risque double entendres as his stage performances. One snippet that my father told to me was that Mo would come onto the stage with an orange in his hand. One of the chorus girls would approach him and the conversation would flow thusly:

Girl: Oh Mo! That's a lovely orange.

Mo: It is. It is.

Girl: Can I have it, Mo?

Mo: I don't know if I should give it to you.

(Girls pleads while Mo vacillates)

Finally Mo holds the orange high over the girl's head, nearly out of her reach.

Mo: Let me see ya snatch for it.

As for Rudd's Ruin, "fair suck of the sauce bottle", it was Mo who created the catchphrase, of which the correct version is "fair suck of the sav". Where "sav" is an abbreviation of "saveloy".

A saveloy is a type of highly seasoned sausage, usually bright red, normally boiled and originating in fish and chip shops around England. The word is believed to be derived from Middle French cervelas or servelat, originating from Old Italian cervella ('pigs brains'), ultimately from the Latin cerebrus ('brain'). Although the saveloy was traditionally made from pork brains, the ingredients of a shop-bought saveloys are usually a beef-pork blend.

The saveloy is often dipped in batter and deep fried, when it is known as a "battered sav". Saveloys are often the basis of the battered-sausage-on-a-stick often called a "dagwood dog". A cocktail sausage is a smaller version of the saveloy, about a quarter of the size, sometimes called a "little boy". 

At the turn of the 20th century, the saveloy was described in an Australian court case as a "highly seasoned dry sausage originally made of brains, but now young pork, salted",  but by the mid-century, it was commonly defined by its size as a 19 cm (7.5 in) sausage, as opposed to a frankfurter at 26 cm (10 in). Based on its size, you can imagine the double entendre in "fair suck of the sav", and the related name for a cocktail sausage.

The "battered sav" was made more famous by Roy and HG when they called the Gymnastics at one of the Olympics. Defined when a gymnasts crotch made contact with the floor or beam. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

God's nectar.. whatever takes your fancy - when I was a young bogan, it was VB and a burger at the F&C shop. Now I am an old bogan, it is a "crassy" aussie Shiraz with a burger at a pub.

Aaaah, what class!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, onetrack said:

The saying around here is, "If his brains were dynamite, he wouldn't have enough to part his hair!"

Similar here, but the version I heard was "he wouldn't have enough to blow his nose."

• Like 1

Slow as a wet week.

Wouldn't work in an iron lung.

Miserable as a bandicoot.

Even Blind Freddy could see that!

Couldn't organise a r**t in a brothel, even if he had a handful of fifties.

Couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery, even if he brought his own glass.

Greetings:  "How are ya"? - "Fit as a Mallee Bull, and twice as dangerous!!"

• Like 1

Most of the examples posted here are metaphors, a figure of speech that describes an object or action in a way that isn't literally true, but helps explain an idea or make a comparison.

Notice that the majority come from earlier times. Does the paucity of modern examples indicate a decline in the exposure of the younger generation to the writings of others, or their own writing?

Have you ever heard of a politician who regularly skirts around a question being described as having "a pocket full of side steps"? Maybe that's a Rugby League one that would not be used other than in Sydney.

• Informative 1