Unique Australian sayings and (sometimes) Rhyming Slang

11 hours ago, old man emu said:

To me  a jumper is a garment of similar appearance, but of knitted wool.

I call the garment a sloppy-joe.

What do the Mexicans and Banana Benders call it?

OME,

Bananabenders don't need a name for it. I lived in Qld for 35 years without owning one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Now I live in Taswegia, I have a wardrobe full of windcheaters, spray jackets, cardigans, jumpers, raincoats, oilskins, snow vests, greatcoats, driza-bones, hoodies, merino layers, and a few others I cannot  name.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, old man emu said:

What do the Mexicans and Banana Benders call it?

A jumper, everything's a jumper here except if it's a coat. In it's day, the word cardigan would be used as a specific, but is still considered a type of jumper.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

I don't think so .

A cardidigan has a joint at the front .

A jumper has a full one piece front .

According to a " knitwear manufacturer " .

DADS '' .

spacesailor

Yeah, whatever.

In any case terminology for  jumpers, cardigans, etc, is not relevant in Queensland.  Because the articles mentioned are only carried by southerners, and seldom heard of or seen during most Queenslander's entire lives.

Queensland - THE SUNSHINE state. Sunny one day, sunnier the next!

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

In any case terminology for  jumpers, cardigans, etc, is not relevant in Queensland.  Because the articles mentioned are only carried by southerners, and seldom heard of or seen during most Queenslander's entire lives.

Queensland - THE SUNSHINE state. Sunny one day, sunnier the next!

Pete, you must have been living on Cape York.

• Like 1

Just now, red750 said:

Except when there are cyclones.

Or monsoons.

Maybe I  did exaggerate a bit. But it was pretty true north of capricorn.

And it is true that I had the jumper that I brought with me from NSW, and didn’t wear it for 35 years.

Have I been in Tassie too long?

• Like 2

I can remember a bloke from S.A. telling me how he and a mate, when they were young and keen in the 1960's or early 1970's, decided to go to Darwin around about May.

They'd heard about the fabulous Darwin weather, so they packed no Winter clothing whatsoever! What was the point, it was always HOT in Darwin!

But they got to around about Katherine or maybe just South of Katherine, where they camped up for the night - and a cold front with a vicious cold Southerly wind swept through during the night - and he reckoned the temperature went down to 7 or 8 degrees, and they absolutely FROZE in their light Summer clothing!! They had to stop and buy some jumpers, to keep the cold at bay!! :cheezy grin:

I've camped in a motorhome at the Bungle Bungles (between Halls Creek and Kununurra), in July - and it went down to FIVE degrees overnight with a vicious Southerly blast!

We woke up and we were fogging up the inside of the motorhome with our exhaled breaths!!

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 2

Some of that country can get pretty cool at night even in summer. Back in the mid 80's we did a job on the edge of the desert near Yagga Yagga, south of Balgo. It was January and daytime maximums averaged around 50C for a month. It was that hot that we had to wait until about 8pm for a shower when the water cooled down enough. I was camping out on one of those steel and wire shearer's cots with a swag on top. You would go to bed hot and lying on top of the swag and about 1am every morning a freezing cold wind would come through and I'd burrow into the down sleeping bag I had in the swag. I don't know where the cold air was coming from, but it was blowing in and replacing our hot air as it rose.

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, old man emu said:

People forget that because of the dry air and lack of vegetation, the heat of the desert floor is rapidly radiated into the atmosphere after the sun goes down. 

When that happens it can get as cold as a witch's t*t (back on topic).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In 1934, Roy Rene starred in the film Strike me lucky, the title of which comes from one of his many catchphrases. Many of Rene’s favorite catchphrases are still part of the Australian vernacular. Other catchphrases included 'Don't come the raw prawn with me' (to tell someone not to try and deceive you or misrepresent the situation) and 'Fair suck of the sav' (to indicate incredulity or to le

• Informative 2

2 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

In 1934, Roy Rene starred in the film Strike me lucky, the title of which comes from one of his many catchphrases. Many of Rene’s favorite catchphrases are still part of the Australian vernacular. Other catchphrases included 'Don't come the raw prawn with me' (to tell someone not to try and deceive you or misrepresent the situation) and 'Fair suck of the sav' (to indicate incredulity or to le

Well, cop that young 'Arry!

• Like 1