Unique Australian sayings and (sometimes) Rhyming Slang

I think that "fair dinkum", "sheila",  and "drongo" are fast slipping out of usage amongst the younger generation. Should we complain? No, we should celebrate the vitality and renewal of the language that has served us well for nearly two millennia. Even many words coined by the Bard and in common currency in his time have trapsed down the path to extinction.

• Like 2

Plus new words - or at least new meanings of words -  are coming into the vocabulary all the time.

A few examples  (mostly from my kids)

Noob

Gaslighted

Pwned

NPC ("non player character" - someone considered unimportant or irrelevant)

spawned / despawned

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I suppose i've got Buckley's chance  of getting "Buckley's chance" accepted then". I think there's a lot of CODE in the new offerings. It was always Be with the Latest  "or be nowhere. An artificial elitism based on a faked need.. It takes courage and confidence to be "YOURSELF". The rest allow them selves to be manipulated  to "belong." Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

LINGO long ago? I can't recall any of that. My family siblings talked freely to the Aunt's Uncles and Parents/ Grandparents (If you were lucky enough to have them still alive.)   Your playmates were defined by age, mostly. Nev

• Like 1

The kid's getting a rum deal.  One of my grandkids  (13) "gets" it now and again and has a good chuckle. He's good at expression.  It can't be just a single weird word . It must be in a context that takes a little while to fathom. Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Thick as two short planks.

What the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve over.

Hung like a Jack donkey.

Wouldn't know if his arse was on fire.

Nickname for a shifty individual - "Hydraulic Jack" - because he'll lift anything.

Nickname for a bald bloke who indulges in BS - "Mudguard" - Shiny on top, and full of sh*t underneath.

Going like a cut cat.

Sliding (or going) like sh*t off a shiny shovel.

Wouldn't know if he was Arthur or Martha.

Stuck like sh*t to a blanket.

Tight as a mackerels arse (and that's water tight).

Dry as a Nuns c***.

Dry as a dead dingos donger.

Dry as a wooden god.

Useless as a Priests balls.

Farting like a corn-fed horse. (do horses really fart when they're fed corn?)

Gotta go lay some cable. (I need to do a bowel movement)

Gotta go drain the snake. (urinate)

No rhyming slang here on the Left Coast, I'm pretty sure that was an East Coast, and especially a Sydney region slang. I believe it goes back to Cockney rhyming slang.

• Like 2

I might have guessed - you sure have got around  a lot more than I.

Cold as a stepmother's kiss.

Wouldn't know shyte from clay.

I'll report back after I visit a couple of old mates (and lubricate the memory cells). They'll probably regale me with all the verses of The Ballad of Ivan Skavinsky Skavar. But I won't share THAT on a G rated forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

The Ballad of Ivan Skavinsky Skavar

The title, "Abdul Abulbul Amir" is the most common name for a music-hall song written in 1877 (during the Russo-Turkish War) under the title "Abdulla Bulbul Ameer" by Irish songwriter Percy French. He wrote the song in 1877 for a smoking concert while studying at Trinity College Dublin. It was likely a comic opera spoof. "Pot Skivers" were the chambermaids at the college, thus Ivan "Potschjinski" Skivar would be a less than noble prince, and as Bulbul is an Arabic dialectic name of the nightingale, Abdul was thus a foppish "nightingale" amir (prince).

The words of the original song are quite "G-rated", but An obscene parody version of the song, in which Abdul and Ivan engage in a competition regarding who can have sex with more prostitutes in a given time, originated in the British military and is traditionally sung in rugby clubs.

You can listen to the X-rated version here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bh3qAySZII

• Informative 1

A saying from the army in WWII for severe flatulence: "going off like a belt-fed mortar".

In Sydney when horses were used for goods transport, a good horse was one that  "could pull a ton up Druitt Street'. Druitt Street being a steep road going from the waterfront at Darling Harbour to George Street at the top.

And speaking of horses and flatulence we have "farting like a brewery horse".

• Like 3

On 5/2/2024 at 1:45 PM, Marty_d said:

Plus new words - or at least new meanings of words -  are coming into the vocabulary all the time.

A few examples  (mostly from my kids)

Noob

Gaslighted

Pwned

NPC ("non player character" - someone considered unimportant or irrelevant)

spawned / despawned

I can’t Stand those stupid shows like Batchelor, married at first sight etc, for the use of the word gaslighting and versions of it. Every single one of them is complaining of someone doing to them. Grow up, eat some cement and harden up. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I was expecting "windcheater" from the Left Coast because that garment was marketed under the brand name "Windcheater". Over on the Right Coast, to me a windcheater is a jacket with a full length front zipper and usually at least showerproof.

To me  a jumper is a garment of similar appearance, but of knitted wool.

I call the garment a sloppy-joe.

What do the Mexicans and Banana Benders call it?

• Informative 1

The rats get a bad rap with all the old sayings;

Flash as a rat with a gold tooth.

Cunning as a sh**house rat.

Looking like a drowned rat.

Smell a rat.

The rat race.

Rat on someone.

Like rats deserting a sinking ship.

• Like 2