Unique Australian sayings and (sometimes) Rhyming Slang

Moving on from betting about London bricks, I thought it would be nice to record some of the witticisms that I have heard. I discovered to my great disappointment that few younger folk have heard the humerous sayings that were common when I 'wore a younger mans shirt.'

Im sure you guys would have some to add.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, old man emu said:

I mucked up a simple job and was told that I was as useless as an ashtray on a motorcycle. Guess I'm as useless as tits on a bull.

Or useless as a hip pocket on a tee shirt. Or many variations of that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, facthunter said:

Something showing real class especially since it happened in BRISBANE.. Waiter , what is this wine like? Is it any good? Waiter, without hesitation.., SIR

It's like angels pissing on your tongue.   Nev

That one sounds like it was from personal experience. Brissy was none too sophisticated back in the 70's when I moved there.

"Yessir, we have all kinds of wine here. Red AND white."

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Yes it's a true story and it happened before 1969 in the centre of Brisbane. I was overnighting  between flights. Nev

Back then, a late Saturday night out ended at 8pm when the waiter started stacking chairs on the tables around me, turned off the lights and started mopping the floor.

By 8.30 everyone had gone to bed in Brisbane and even the council had switched the traffic lights off.

Aaaaah the good old days.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

I don't know if it is still current, but in the mid-70s the tram from Adelaide CBD to Glenelg was called the Bay City Roller after a certain boy band popular at the time.

Speaking of trams, I'd better shoot through like a Bondi tram or I'll never finish my work.

• Like 3