Oldest Continuous Culture??

old man emu

30 minutes ago, red750 said:

"The names alternate automatically every two seconds, so both names are shown."

So the only "bloody confused" travellers are the ones who have an attention span of less than 2 seconds?

Anything that comes from 2GB needs to be taken with more salt than a bag of chips.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

Not just the foundations Bruce. it's the wiring plumbing, wood rot white ants Rats/mice chewing holes etc Most of the frames are just Radiata Pine. All ground moves. Plaster is just chalk and cardboard. Elec switches are worn out aluminium sliding windows stuffed and not repairable. Roofs not strong enough to take high winds. etc.  Nev

Nev, have you seen the treated pine wall studs that Bunnings are selling these days. Not the green stuff, this is blue and looks almost like it's been painted on. There's lots of patches of bare pine and the blue stuff rubs off easily. I don't trust it at all. I bought some recently for a small outdoor ablution block and ended up coating the whole wall frame in brushable hydroseal (runny blackjack). I found out the local Mitre 10 hardware sells way better quality stuff and no more expensive than Bunnings.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

I think the blue stuff is copper sulphate just painted on. It does not penetrate like the pressure-treated pine has. You can see on a sawn section that the blue penetration was at best 3mm. So you would need, at best, a can of stuff to paint onto joints and ends.

As far as properly-treated pine goes, it produces the longest-lived fence posts of all, I have seen the figure of 100 years quoted.

Mind you, this treatment was possibly before the woke lot sabotaged the deal.

• Informative 2

Well the old timber yards have all disappeared.  Back then you could walk through the yard and pick and choose various timber types and quality.

Hey, is that a culture  shift?

Edited by nomadpete
Forgot what the thread was about

43 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

Well the old timber yards have all disappeared

That's because we have felled our native hardwood forests containing slow growing trees in order to plant fast growing pine, which is easier to work with than hardwood. Also in the 19th Century there was no thought of planting young trees to replace the ones cut down. It amazes me that from Wilsons Promontory to Cape York there are millions of acres of hardwoods that, with sensible forestry practices, could produce high quality wood. However, those areas are locked up in National Parks and State Forests that only seem to be havens for feral animals which destroy the native flora and fauna.

It amazes me that it is even an offence in a National Parks to collect fallen branches to make a campfire (all other precautions having been followed). If you want a campfire in a National Pay it's BYO wood. I realize that fallen branches form part of the natural habitat for plants and animals, but it's not as though a few campers are going to strip mine a whole National Park in order to boil the billy.

So we have to import a lot of timber from countries which allow strip mining of their forests and to Hell with the orangutans.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The proper treatment is much more toxic than copper sulphate.  Radiata Pine is carroty and rots in the open in no time. It also splits when using the nail gun.. Gang Nailed trusses are  brittle structures. If they're dropped they will be damaged. they only take load in one plane.. Match stick stuff.  .  Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, facthunter said:

If it's ignored everyone who wants to know, will know it was. IT would be publicly available. Uniform building regulations $#!t ME too. Houses only have a real life of about 40 years and are often NOT worth  repairing at that stage.  Nev

Mine has already passed that milestone. My workmanship may not be neat as some, but it’s built solid, using over 200tonnes of material, using passive solar design that should make it a viable home worth maintaining far into the future.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

10 hours ago, red750 said:

Bushfire fuel.

I don't know if you mean to suggest that making a campfire has the potential to start a bushfire, or that naturally fallen timber is the fuel for a bushfire. But I should have added to that post that it is OK to bring your own campfire fuel into a National Park. Of course, one must always follow bushfire prevention practices whenever setting a fire in the outdoors. As a matter of interest, a local bush fire unit captain told me that burning household rubbish in a 44 gallon drum is not legal. This is mine:

Unless you are a "legal" aborigine. When I was working on a house in Alice Springs, the aborigine-rented place across the road always had a smoky and smouldering fire burning in the backyard. This turned out to be a "comfort fire" and was quite legal.

I never saw anybody sitting near that fire, but it is possible that they did sometimes.

ANYway, I reckon they have already got lots of legal advantages and I personally don't want to give them more. "Reparations" will be next, regardless of the "no" vote.  I predict that the reparations exercise will fail because there are too many, like myself, who never benefitted in any way from whitefellers taking the land. ( what about recent immigrants for example ). But the case will be harder for the abos to win with a no vote.

• Like 1

I have to agree with marty etc about the lack of training . Having been at school with lots of black kids, I can assure you that they got the same education as the rest of us. Of course, they went home to a place with no books etc. But they went home to a house like I did. The main difference was the culture.

What has hurt blacks in the US is the fact that Asians came from behind to get ahead quite without any help. Yep, a different culture. Do you help keep a culture going even though it is a bad one?

• Like 2

On 20/7/2023 at 5:06 PM, red750 said:

Sorry to be late with this comment, but this statement:

A photo of a display at Mackay Airport in Queensland's North riled 2GB host Ben Fordham on Thursday, who argued most people would not know the Indigenous names for locations such as Brisbane and Townsville
Surely that the whole bluddy point! -about time we learned a bit about our own country’s history!

• Agree 1

"The names alternate automatically every two seconds, so both names are shown. We have not renamed any city or town,"      

I don't know but it doesn't seem too confusing to me.  The original story leaves this out.     Whether or not it is a productive thing to do or not, it is not an insidious assault. Personally, I am interested in the history of this land and this interest goes back to Cook and beyond.   It mainly seems to be the right-wing media such as Sky and 2BG that are flogging this story.

In a related story, they implied that the name Brisbane City was going to be changed which I think has been thoroughly discredited. I did like this comment on a Reddit discussion.   (apologies for crudeness)  

Shock jocks building their own strawmen and then wanking themselves dry with rage. Nothing in it

• Like 2

There's little point in trying to reverse names of location to Indigenous names. It is exceptionally costly, confusing, can cost lives, and the names are unpronounceable to everyone. 

In this Nation, we have one language, that language is English, and English is the language of technology, science, construction, physics, maths - in fact, all further levels of education.

Trying to revert to dead languages is political correctness at its most extreme. I find it interesting that in the Aboriginal communities that refuse to learn English, the complaints are loud that they cannot find jobs, earn money and generally feel "left out" of community activities that involve interaction with the Govt or the Public Service.

• Agree 1

Right wing shock jocks have a habit of stirring up outrage, then get very quiet later when their claims are discredited. (Alan Jones “going on holidays” after the Cronulla Riots is an example.) They don’t care, because the damage is done and too many of their listeners don’t bother checking the facts.

Murdoch’s Daily Terragraph doesn’t seem to mind regularly pay millions in libel case. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There are plenty of towns and places that have always had aboriginal names, so it’s not as though that cultural heritage has been lost or ignored. WA has lots of examples. But I can’t see the need to use aboriginal alternative names for our capital cities at every opportunity for the sake of being politically correct. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Do you help keep a culture going even though it is a bad one?

Bruce that’s a brave question on a contentious topic. It sure isn’t PC to trash another culture, but we should be able to address extreme aspects. Cultures can change; we no longer burn witches.

Australia has been challenging some of the worst of our national culture. We’ve had big public campaigns against littering, pollution, domestic violence, etc.

Among our new arrivals, female genital mutilation, honour killings and slavery have been challenged, but there’s much more to do. (Some recent immigrants would be justified in criticising the Australian culture of extreme boozing.)

There’s much about our indig cultures that is admirable, but appalling levels of abuse against women and kids. One of my sisters was a nurse at isolated settlements in the centre and once worked all night with a knife at her throat. 
It would be hoped that, as Aboriginal peoples regain power over their lives, they address the unpalatable aspects of their own culture. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

An interesting cultural thing... fifty years ago I worked with a bloke who was a whistlecock, as it was known. When he was young, they burned a hole through the base of his penis so that when he ejaculated, he would not make a woman pregnant. They did this, apparently, to limit population. I think it was quite clever and I admire their technical skill. Of course, today it would be the worst sort of child abuse.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1