Mars in Oz

red750

They are about to make a TV show about living on Mars, and the location is Coober Pedy.

The commander of the expedition is Capt. Kirk himself, William Shatner. Rumours have it that other stars will be Charlie Sheen, Keanu Reeves and a few others I can't recall. The Herald-Sun only gives  a small para, the rest behind the paywall.

• Informative 3

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

People who go to Mars better like it because I can't see how they'll ever come back.  They are exposed to cosmic rays also. .Nev

I guess that’s the main reason they are going underground, like on the Opal fields. The good news is that lava tubes are predicted to be common on Mars, and probably much bigger than the ones on our planet.

Cosmonouts would be smart to do their breeding before spending too much time in space. The Soviets pioneered long-term life in zero-G and learned heaps. A few years on Mars is likely to make the human body much less able to survive on Earth.

• Sad 1

Bit like being trapped in submarine but you would be able to see your home as a little blue star far away now and again.. The measure of loneliness and disconnect would be immeasurable.  WE were formed here over a long long time.  Nev

• Like 2

I've been going through Coober Pedy for so long I can remember the signs" No rates and no services" and  "Patrons are requested to not bring explosives into this theatre"

I reckon going to mars would not be much worse than going to coober pedy.

But it would still make more sense to establish a moon colony first.

(1) No atmosphere=no dust. 

(2) much closer to home.

(3) unlimited electrical power from mountain-tops near the poles.

(4) I think it would be possible to fling stuff into low moon orbit from a railway line.

(5) great soil for growing crops.

• Informative 2

I don't really disagree with the better ways to spend the same money....Bob Irvine, who was Australia's best rocket scientist, would and did agree with this completely.

BUT, is it the same money? How would making all those rocket guys unemployed help with ( for example ) early childhood education?

• Informative 1

26 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

How would making all those rocket guys unemployed help with ( for example ) early childhood education?

We have a great big greed swamp to drain first. The pool of wealth needs to be stirred up and spread fairly. Then the rocket guys funding could 'trickle down' to be allocated more usefully and fairly.

• Like 1

I landed at Coober Pedy a few years ago and after securing the plane walked over to the deserted terminal, and phoned for a taxi after looking up the number on my phone. After waiting a very long time with no sign of any taxi, I rang again and got through to the driver. He said he was at the airport but I said I couldn’t see him, so I asked ‘which airport?’. He said ‘Ceduna’. Turns out there is no taxi service in Coober Pedy.

• Haha 1

Those rocket scientist's. Could be used for GOOD EDUCATION.  

Unlike  my ' demobed soldiers ' . that couldn't teach a dog to sit .

It's the best  educated teacher,  to make the best educated pupils. 

That is a no brainer .

spacesailor

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

It's not necessarily what a teacher KNOWs but his way of dealing with the classroom situation and having the confidence of his pupils We had many "Untrained Graduates" some of whom didn't even last a day on front of the classes . 4 times in 3 years I got sent to schools (in Western Sydney) where teachers would not stay. By the way Not once did I encounter Demobbed ex-service people teaching. I struck a cleaner who had been captured in Tripoly and a few Hungarians that left Budapest after the Russian Tanks rolled in. in 56. Great, but they drank too much.  Nev

• Informative 1

In the mid-1960's when I was attending high school, we had some fairly useless WW2 veterans teaching us, who were nowhere near up to proper teacher standards. They weren't abusive or anything, they were just wafflers, who bored us to tears.