Totally p'd off

red750

Fegergles Mergles! Just checked Woolies website. Lemons are $1.91 each or 4 for $4.30. https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/search/products?searchTerm=lemons

At the current exchange rate, that is £1.09. Here, they have gone up from 30p to 45p. But, how can Aus be so much more expensive? We have to import all of ours; in Aus, there used to be a lemon tree in every second back yard!

If you get 6 decent slices to a lemon, the "free" drink is 30c for each slice. Suddenly $1.50 is bad compared to the last tome Red shopped, but not bad compared to going natural.

Note  to self: When returning to Aus, buy a place with a lemon and lime tree. I have squeezed lemon and lime juice with water for my favourite drink. Wouldn't be able to afford it at those prices!

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

Not many people buy lemons from shops, only the stupid ones. Every second house has a lemon tree in the backyard here (although the numbers are lessening as block sizes shrink), and it doesn't take long to find free lemons.

If you go for a drive or walk, you often find boxes of free lemons outside peoples gates or on the verge. But generally only in the older suburbs, and where the blocks are still a reasonable size, and the developers haven't ripped everything out.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, onetrack said:

If you go for a drive or walk, you often find boxes of free lemons outside peoples gates or on the verge.

I’ve seen that thoughtful tradition in older residential areas where people have established gardens. Culled plants are heaped on the roadside and eagerly collected by other keen gardeners. 

Bit more scenic than the obscene piles of last year’s Harvey Norman furniture.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 31/01/2023 at 4:57 PM, red750 said:

Just been to Woolies. My flavoured, sugar zero mineral water jumped from 75c for a 1.25 lt bottle to $1.50.

I was in Woolies today and they have about 15% or more of the shelf items with a temporary add-on tag saying 'Low Price $xx.xx'. X being whatever the price is. They're trying to suck people into thinking the items are on special sale price so they will buy them. When you lift the 'Low Price' tag up, it's the same price as the regular price tag which is behind the clear plastic strip on the shelf edge. The true specials are still marked as 'Special' with the usual yellow specials tag, but these different coloured 'Low Price' tags are popping up everywhere. They must think people are totally stupid. They're not doing anything illegal, but very unethical in my opinion.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

It always amuses me to see people organising training in "Business Ethics", and speaking of corporate morality. Having ethics and morality in business is a serious impediment to your success - you only need a major desire to accumulate as much wealth as possible, in the shortest period of time, to become very successful in business.

• Agree 1

I did a course in Psychology at Uni of Technology at Kensington Syd. Most students were businessmen and they ALL had the attitude that Psychology could be used to trick people that things were going well and SAVE them paying good Wages. An eye opener for me in my early 20's.   Nev

• Informative 1

It's 65 kms from Dubbo to Gilgandra and I'm a further 10 ks along another highway. But I see the Woolies delivery truck going past, further away from Gil. The courier service from Dubbo charges $20 to deliver - into town, not out 10 ks - a package about the size of a 5 litre petrol can. How'd ya do it, son? How?

• Informative 1

PMC I wasn't there as a businessman and actually the Course wasn't in any way promoting that which they drew from it. That was where I first found out about VICTA and Lincoln welding's  outstandingly GOOD staff relations and the reason why . Like suggestion boxes and profit sharing and being honest with your employees... Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

6 hours ago, facthunter said:

I did a course in Psychology at Uni of Technology at Kensington Syd. Most students were businessmen and they ALL had the attitude that Psychology could be used to trick people that things were going well and SAVE them paying good Wages. An eye opener for me in my early 20's.   Nev

Of course the latest is behavioural economics. On studying it, it is the pshychology of selling.

• Informative 1