Crikey it’s wet

pmccarthy

Hope it is over sooner than predicted...

Have read that Seymour, Eurora, Rochester (didn't even know it rained therre) are bad.. Rochester has been ordered to leave according to The Age.,

Labor is talking about a national home buy back, as well.. Not sure how that will work,

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1

Vic is like it was here in the NE corner of NSW in March & La Nina is back. We have been spared the early onslaught & the aerodrome is almost dried out since those floods. I went flying today, beautiful weather. It looks like another system is due to hit next week but now everything is saturated in many areas out West and South Summer looks like being a washout

• Informative 2

Been away from home almost a month and have had one afternoon of drizzle. Took two umbrellas and a jacket to Blighty, but got more sunny weather than Oz! Crazy.

Due home on Tuesday, hopefully with enough cash left over to buy the missus a new self-propelled mower- she’ll need it!

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Blimey - the rain keeps coming down. My mum is beased in Healseville and is OK at the moment. However, the central/north of Vic is awash - condoleces to family and friends of the man who died in Rochester.

Tassie is copping it, too. Hope our Tassie forumites are weathering it OK..

How many years of drought and then this?

• Like 2

I've got a friend living in a house in Echuca, and another friend on a 50 acre farm at Strathallan, between Echuca and Rochester. They both look like they may have to leave their homes.

The Campaspe River is in major flood, and the Murray River is steadily rising, with a forecast peak of over 95.0M AHD at the Echuca Wharf, by about next Friday.

The devastating 1974 floods reached 94.52M, but there were two floods over 95M in the late 1800's, and 7 floods in the 1900's, between 94.41M and 94.79M.

I read where the current flow rate of the Murray River is approaching 70,000 M/L a day. Just FYI, that's 2,916,666,666 litres/hr!

https://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/?=&bbox=144.62779998779297%2C-36.29326753595233%2C145.14278411865234%2C-36.08018188118014&tm=1665824792189#

Murray River Levels..jpg

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 2

Texted my sister in Benalla this morning to see if her feet were above water. She said it was about a km away, but that was this morning. I'm wondering how Deni is fairing. Haven't heard anything, but I lived there in the 1956 floods. We had water 6 in deep under the house, but not in it. An we were pretty high above normal river height.

There was one woman in Maribyrnong who had just finished renovating, moved back in a week ago. Went back to inspect the damage this morning. Mud like liquid chocolate covering the floor 2 cm deep. Devastating.

• Sad 2

Looking at the flood map, the north of the Murray in the Riverina doesn't look too mad (maybe, except fot the border towns).

There are some pictures herre (use private/incognito mode): https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/victoria-flooding-heavy-rain-batters-state-20221014-h274ov.html

I would never have thought Kensington would flood like that.. Rochester can almost be renamed wither Lismore II or acquarius.. 

Flippin nora...

• Informative 1

ALL these Towns are built on the banks of rivers which can only move so much water away due the very gradual fall over a long distance. The surge of water moves slowly down river because of the inundation of so much flat land.. Peaks are arriving later than forecast and higher than expected.. It's hard to know how it could be mediated. Dams only work in hilly country and levy banks don't help those upstream.  Nev

• Like 1

And the increasing amount of building development and infrastructure in the floodplain areas only worsens the flow rate and constantly increases the flood levels.

I've seen a photo of a huge U.S. monument with hundreds of steps up it, along the Mississippi River. The regular flood levels are marked on the steps, dating from when the monument was built in the 1800's.

The flood level markers continue to keep going up the steps, with a new, higher flood level every couple of decades. All due to development, levees, and other works, that all operate to slow down the Rivers flow rate, which only increases the flood level heights.

• Like 3

We had bad floods in the Somerset levels about 10 years ago.. so much so, the real estate brochure of a house I was looking to buy looked like it had a commanding view of a lake in the distance - that was the flood!

Once the waters receded, a lot of work was done dredging the channels that run through it.. No floods since, but every year now, they maintain the run offs to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Like Aus, the councils allowed housing development in this flood plain.. although not too dense. Can't insure the houses against flooding anymore.

We had a small holding that was in the lower slops of a valley that had a stream running under the living room. In heavy rain, was forever clearing crap upstream that would block the runoff which caused the water to rise rapidly. Due to a property drought we bought it even though I promised myself never to be on low-lying land... Thankfully, nothing happened, but it did cause a few scary moments. Now wer are on the highest point in the village.

• Informative 1

On 15/10/2022 at 11:12 AM, facthunter said:

Get a zero turn OK. My wife won't let me drive the one I got for her. How many acres do you have and how level?

Back in Oz this morning!

Nev we built our house 3/4 way up a steep block of almost three ha. 

I’ve spent forty years rehabilitating this overgrazed, eroded hillside. Now most of it is trees and native grasses. Habitat for mobs of natives. I love wandering around our bit of paradise watching the critters and listening to the birds.

Before each bushfire season we use the wizzer and mower to push firebreaks out from the house. Some times I borrow a neighbour’s slasher or have sheep in for a day or two.

A ride-on? Never! She mows for the exercise.

A few years ago she got a mower with an engine, so has expanded her grass-conquering territory well down the hill from our fairly level lawn. Most of our block is too steep and rocky to safely operate a ride-on.

I use a zero turn at our airport, but it doesn’t do my back any favours. I prefer to use my wizzer. It’s a mechanical derivative of the medieval scythe and gives my body a workout akin to Tai Chi. It must have paid for itself by saving me all those Gym fees!

Three months since I went base over apex, I’m walking fairly confidently with my new hip, but uneven ground still scares me. Time to give her the tools to cover more ground.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

And we in Central Qld are wanting rain, We had about 3.5mm this morning which was good. Everywhere looked green up to a few days ago, but it has only been grass rain. We have not had significant rain for a long while. Lets hope for a wet season this year.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

The current level of the Murray River at the Echuca Wharf, as at 21:00HRS 16/10/2022, is 94.16M.

The Echucans have still got 5 days of increasing river level to look forward to, before the Murray River peaks on Friday, as expected, at around 95M!

https://riverdata.mdba.gov.au/echuca

My mate living in Echuca has had to get out (evacuated), here's a photo of his backyard, from his house, just before midday, today ....

Echuca.jpg

Edited by onetrack
  • Sad 1