It's all going down the plughole

pmccarthy

He He He.. Some times, Nev, you do make me larf... 😉

A lot of the reason Australia is so great is that people did immigrate to Australia.. just ask the first fleet/settlers.... Has been happening ever since.

Quite frankly, every country needs more people like that family - positive, contributing, peaceful, and with quirky accents.. what's not to like?

Anyway, the point was to show that not all is down the gurgler, sink, tubes, or wha'ever... it is that there are many great things about Australia... including its people... maybe it takes someone from not around Australia to appreciate them...

8 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Back to risk management, only gamble when you can afford to lose..

I don't agree.. Insovency laws protect you from losing more than you can afford! Just make sure you lose more than you can afford legally, and all will be fine 😉 [edit] Oh, and it's other peoples' money you lose... then you will be even better!

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1

I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be and it just got a whole lot better here but keep that a secret. Everywhere I look there's houses being built. Like Oysters I like it natural .Always have..  and a Fair days pay for a fair days work suits me. NO CEO is worth what they pay themselves these days. If you can make something paint , create or fix something it gives a lot of satisfaction. many never know. Also teaching is  a worthy calling.. Nev

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Murphy's law is controlled by true risk management.

I disagree with the idea that Murphy's Law "is controlled". What the Law describes is that no matter what you do, the possibility of an unwanted event never can be eliminated. It is the probability of the event happening that risk management  tries to reduce to an insignificant level, with the knowledge that the probability will never be "zero". 

In practical terms, you have to take into account the economic impact of a procedure to reduce either the probability of an event occurring , or the adverse effects of its occurring.  As we have seen with COVID, it is also necessary to address the human factors involved with implementing a risk management procedure. We have seen that dealing with the human factors has been the most difficult task in the COVID situation. And human factors are also a stumbling block in the area I work in - environmental risk management.

Regarding the "shortage" of GP's. it makes me angry that this is entirely contrived.

Once, I was on a no-account committee that had something to do with recruiting for the university of adelaide. We could have filled the medical faculty with straight"a" students a hundred times over, but the feds had said that only 65 were allowed.

This was made worse by the requirement that " english is not your mother tongue" rule. The first year medical class looked completely asian to me. Not that I dislike asians....

The length of time for changing things is also an impediment, any govt which started a change would not see any benefits in its lifetime.

SO...  here's my suggestion... we allow nurses to do a one-year course and the successful ones can then do consultations and prescriptions.

Personally, I would back an experienced nurse with a computer in any diagnostic competition, but this is irrelevant. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Regarding the "shortage" of GP's. it makes me angry that this is entirely contrived.

I think it is a matter of economics.  Although we would hope that something as important as healthcare would be beyond economics it is however subject to the usual rules of supply and demand.    Most of us (including me)    would like the government to triple the number of medical school positions.  A doctor on each street corner.         

This is from an article in the British Medical Journal.

Delegates at the annual BMA conference voted by a narrow majority to restrict the number of places at medical schools to avoid “overproduction of doctors with limited career opportunities.” They also agreed on a complete ban on opening new medical schools.

David Sochart, from Manchester and Salford, warned that in the current job climate allowing too many new doctors into the market would risk devaluing the profession and make newly qualified doctors prey to “unscrupulous …

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

3 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

Todays news - words that might demean certain people such as dumb and disabled should not be used.

So .. I if use "dumb" to describe Barnaby Joyces comments and attitudes, will this seriously impact on his development into a responsible adult? :classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

Yes he's been through the Adultery bit.. Do Infants have as much fun in Infancy as adults have in adultery?  Nev

I haven't done the adultery bit but having seen the fallout from some marriages where one partner has, I don't think the fun is worth the price.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree old K. We had plenty of food and freedom. Plenty of jobs too. We looked up to our teachers, and thought of them as professionals.

Yes, we didn't have much money, but we got by ok. We were the lucky ones, in maybe the best country at maybe the best of times.

And yet we moaned and complained.

About the BMA saying they didn't approve of more doctors graduating... I couldn't agree less !

• Like 1

The greatest restrictions that developed in our lifetimes has been the overwhelming intrusion of red tape and bureaucracy and regulations into every single facet of our lives and businesses - mostly all driven by lawyers and lawsuits.

While I agree that regulations and rules are necessary for the functioning of a safe and civil society, it has got to the point where the level of rules and regulations has become overwhelming, and it needs to be pared back to more realistic levels.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

When you look hard at an individual regulation, it sort of seems reasonable. But the cumulative effect is so bad that it must stop a lot of employment happening.

If we had the idea that one new regulation meant that 2 old ones had to be cancelled, maybe there would be some hope.

In the meantime, I reckon that sooner or later ( not in our time ) hunger will stop the over-regulation stuff.

I can imagine remote Aboriginal communities starving after the wheels come off the white-feller gravy train that they have become accustomed to.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2