Should Drivers Be Required to Undergo a Biennial test

On 25/8/2022 at 1:31 PM, pmccarthy said:

I picked up a SWB Landcruiser in Walhalla and drove it to Melbourne, about 1988. The chassis had been further shortened and it had been used as an explosives truck. Could barely keep it within the two lanes of the Princes Highway at 80KPH.

That’s their designed max speed.

• 5 weeks later...

Dumb things in the driving test:

1.  Hill Starts. 

It's hard to buy a manual transmission passenger vehicle nowadays. The most common passenger vehicles have automatic transmissions, so there is hardly the need to be able to co-ordinate footbrake, hand brake, clutch and accelerator. It is rare for a student driver to undergo the Test in a manual transmission vehicle. For the vast majority of drivers, the skill involved in driving vehicles of that type can be obtained after at least a year on P-plates.

2. 3-Point Turns

If you have to turn through 180 degrees on a suburban road to go back to, say, where you made the wrong turn, it is always safer to drive around the block in an anti-clockwise direction (all left turns). That means that you will have the best view at all times of where your vehicle is going. Your field of vision will not be blocked by the roof pillars of your vehicle and the shape of the vehicle behind you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

it is always safer to drive around the block

And if you are in a dead end street? Near me, there are four (almost) parallel streets which are No Through Roads, and not short, either. Garbage, recycling and other trucks have to reverse the full length of the street, no room to turn. Cars can pull into someone's driveway entrance and complete their three point turn.

1818789557_threestreets.thumb.png.4cc40cd699b33fbc5d99f92e2d690b6b.png

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

Years ago in Britain the normal way to do a 3 pt turn, was to back into a side street or driveway and then go forwards in the opposite direction. It worked OK and was safer than backing into a through road. Of course you had to be able to use the mirrors to do the backing, which is beyond the ability of some drivers.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I have a farm buggy which has: 2wd, 4wd, 4wh locked diff, Plus an electric winch on the front. It has 11psi tyres and it never needed to use 4wd. It goes in 2wd through stuff which would bog a 4wd tractor. ( we have a 6 inch crust of topsoil here over clay which goes like porridge if you break through to  it.)

The chinese driver's manual says to replace all the fluids if the whole buggy is inundated. Well that hasn't happened yet.

But there has been lots of rain here lately, way too much.

Edited by Bruce Tuncks
  • Informative 2

11 minutes ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

I was thinking today why there aren't 2wd motorbikes.. Karma?

You would think that these would be ideal for the military, but military riders need their bikes to be able to operate at speeds between the very low, that the ROKON can do, to highway speeds.

The potential is there for a 2WD electric motorbike, with wheel hub motors, and higher speed ability than the Rokon.

All those chains and that mitre drive system is complex, heavy, and subject to rapid wear.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 2

You forget that I rocketed through a 60 zone at 67 a couple of months ago.

4 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Of all people, you should have known better.

In way of explanation, I was looking for the off ramp to go to the National Archives. Next time I see a speed camera I'm going to go as fast as I can. Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb.

I really must ask for the photographic proof. There must have been other vehicles nearby, probably doing the same speed.