Should Drivers Be Required to Undergo a Biennial test

I can recall hiring a Vauxhall in the U.K. in 1988 and finding the great Pommy motorways. I was giving the Vauxhall a bit of the pedal-to-the-metal treatment on the M4 motorway from London to Reading (70mph limit), late at night - sitting on about 100mph - when a Police car pulled up alongside me, and I was startled to see a Pommy copper mouthing the words, "SLOW DOWN!", at me through the closed passenger side window! I slowed down, and they roared off!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Surely these greatly aged people have doctors monitoring their health and driving abilities? In W.A., that's how it works, as soon as doctor is convinced the person they're treating is no longer safe behind the wheel, they advise the licencing authority and their drivers licence is suspended until they take a driving test. Usually, the onset of dementia is enough to have the persons licence suspended.

What is unfair here though, is, that the testing has been "outsourced" to private industry, and the test costs $600. And you have to pay up front, and no guarantee you will get your licence approved.

Maybe those 148 drivers have found the secret to living to 100, and still keeping their driving licences is - don't go near a a doctor!!  :cheezy grin:

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1
  • Informative 2

The TV news crew went with a 100 year old lady who drives to do her shopping every week.

A bit like W.A., in Vic a person can continue to drive until a doctor or family member decides their licence should be suspended or cancelled. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Just because they still have a licence, doesn't mean they're using it.

My mother only learned to drive in her early forties. Got her licence but never had a lot of confidence and only drove a few times. She died at 94 with a current licence and flawless driving record.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Doctors  and dobbers and any bad driving will attract attention. Plenty just hand their licence in. Is there some REAL problem here? It's just a sign of making news, and revving people up. Not reporting it.. and informing  about real issues...  Nev

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

Doctors  and dobbers and any bad driving will attract attention. Plenty just hand their licence in. Is there some REAL problem here? It's just a sign of making news, and revving people up. Not reporting it.. and informing  about real issues...  Nev

We don't live in a rational world Nev.

EG: When my mother was 86 she had a luckily minor incident where her car almost overturned when it mounted a large concrete block in a local carpark. She already had cataract surgery done in one eye but refused to get the other eye done. Her GP had deemed her fit to drive but she really wasn't. After a lot of argument I took her keys away.

Now my MIL is 84 and her GP says she is ok to drive shortish distances "so long as she promises not to drive at school start and finish times".

Trust me, it is a accident waiting to happen - I have seen her forget how to find first gear once, complains to us that she almost falls asleep at the wheel, and now I hear she drives 150k to visit her daughter.

Many many won't hand their licence in.

• Informative 1

5 hours ago, nomadpete said:

They change the road laws without notifying anybody.

Yet, ignorance of the law is no excuse? I guess it is our responsibiltiy to comb the government regulation and departmental websites to ensure we are abreast of the law - like we are all lawyers (or law enforcement)...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That would be Great 

Not having to memorise  four a4 pages of abbreviations,  aviation law ,

" how many litres left in avgas drum when dipt at 33 cm " .

One track mind , doesn' t like doing thing on two or more equations.  LoL

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
A little more !

On 26/09/2022 at 1:32 PM, red750 said:

And if you are in a dead end street? Near me, there are four (almost) parallel streets which are No Through Roads, and not short, either. Garbage, recycling and other trucks have to reverse the full length of the street, no room to turn. Cars can pull into someone's driveway entrance and complete their three point turn.

1818789557_threestreets.thumb.png.4cc40cd699b33fbc5d99f92e2d690b6b.png

Who was the idiot who designed that suburb?

• Informative 1

It's not just new suburbs. I recently drove into the CDB in the evening to drop SWMBO and a friend off so they could watch the ballet.

But we had to slow right down, thanks to a traffic jam caused by a rubbish truck blockading the street. The driver was out of the truck, walking down alleyways, collecting bins from way down the alleyways, and dragging them back to the truck to be lifted in - because the truck couldn't get down those 1800's alleyways - and development had proceeded unabashed in those alleyways, on a level that no planner of the 1800's could have ever envisaged.

• Informative 1

13 hours ago, onetrack said:

…The driver was out of the truck, walking down alleyways, collecting bins from way down the alleyways, and dragging them back to the truck to be lifted in - because the truck couldn't get down those 1800's alleyways - and development had proceeded unabashed in those alleyways, on a level that no planner of the 1800's could have ever envisaged.

Until the Whitlam government financed sewerage reforms, dunny carts were a regular sight down many a back lane all over Oz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Koreelah said:

Until the Whitlam government financed sewerage reforms, dunny carts were a regular sight down many a back lane all over Oz.

And none of those back lanes were dead ends because town planners did some planning.

• Informative 1

1 minute ago, facthunter said:

When Freeways or  rail lines go through a lot of that gets affected..  Nev

Such events as freeways and rail corridors are rare. I rather suspect that a major reason for the new narrow dead end suburbs is called 'traffic calming' - supposedly making streets safer for our children.

• Like 1