Who remembers?

red750

It is said that The way to separate the men from the Boys is by the size of their toys. It all takes a bit of looking after which is a science in Itself.. On the sound of the Gypsy six .. Most six cylinder  Jabiru, Continental 0-300, motors have a more  distinctive sound than fours. Aircooled Porsche 912.  Even 3 cylinder motors do. Daihatsu, Yamaha triple.  Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, facthunter said:

Most six cylinder  Jabiru, Continental 0-300, motors have a more  distinctive sound than fours. Aircooled Porsche 912.  Even 3 cylinder motors do. Daihatsu, Yamaha triple.  Nev

One of Aero Club’s regulars sometimes turns up in a J-200 Jab with hot dogs instead of the standard mufflers. 80 Year Old mug lair!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

Our local mens wear shop closed a couple of years back, but inside, still operational, is the overhead wire for cash management. A demonstration for my computer class showed how ultra-efficent it was: cost bugger-all to set up in the 30s, they could do a cash transaction quicker than a computer-based system. Only operating cost was a new rubber band a few decades ago.

When I worked for KMart, they used something similar to these. They took a Z reeceipt from the till, laccy-banded the cash with the receipt, and up the tube it went.

https://www.aerocom.co.uk/products/aerocom-pneumatic-tube-systems/safe-link/

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

The main businesses in Collins Street Melbourne were connected for documents by pneumatic tubes through an exchange in the 1890s. The lifts operated by water pressure through a high pressure reticulation system along the street. Telegrams were old hat, as Ballarat, Bendigo and Castlemaine were connected to Melbourne in the 1850s.

• Informative 3

On 10/06/2022 at 5:45 PM, onetrack said:

Willie, you'll be able to retire on the money you get for that vintage ATCO reel mower, now! The lawnmower aficionados kill for anything like that today. Old Scott Bonnars bring 3 times the money they cost when new, today!

I found the ATCO 14 mower today, in a corner of the bottom shed. It looks rough; a lot more surface rust than when I last saw it a long time ago. Probably restorable though. In the interim, I'd better give it a diesel bath or something similar.

Atco14.jpg

I don't reckon it's that early. It could be 1927 or later. The original piston in them was cast iron. They always have "Pegged" rings to stop them fouling the ports. Main bearings are phosphor bronze which also act as a seal.  I have a similar Ransom. It runs but the catcher is plywood and will need attention. . Nev

• Informative 2

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

I don't reckon it's that early. It could be 1927 or later. The original piston in them was cast iron. They always have "Pegged" rings to stop them fouling the ports. Main bearings are phosphor bronze which also act as a seal.  I have a similar Ransom. It runs but the catcher is plywood and will need attention. . Nev

Sounds like they didn't change the design very much over the years. The one in this photo (same as the one in my shed) is an ATCO Light 14 and from what I can find out, were made from 1952/53 onward.

Atco Light 14.png

They didn't change much over a long time. Yours has slanted fins. The radial fins are much harder to  cast and are identical to a Waratah 1927 Motorcycle that I had when I was 13. (No I didn't buy it new. which was your next question.).  The forward facing carb and exhaust are the same too.  The brass flywheel has a self pulling  nut and no keyway so you can time it.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

After the late 20's Villiers engines were used in a lot of British  2 strokes. James Dot Francis Barnett  Cotton? Probably Coventry Eagle etc The motors were 98 cc 123 cc 197 cc and the Talisman twin of 2x 123 cc which was a bit of a dud. They also made watercooled versions of some (Rare) . Not to be confused with Scotts which made their own bike using only an Enfield rear wheel  and everything else made by them selves except the Front forks after 1928.. Webb forks..

These motors were loop scavenged and not very powerful. The BSA bantam and the Royal Enfield 2 stroke copied the schnerle ported DKW german design and so did the HD Hummer which looked like a mirror image of the Bantam engine and put out much better power with just slightly domed pistons rather than a deflector and 2 transfer Ports one one each side of the Piston.   Nev

• Informative 1

Another engine in the shed I'd like to get running one day is a BSA side valve stationary engine. At a guess, maybe 125cc or smaller. It was on a big old mower my grandfather had, until it was replaced by a Honda motor. It had the old crossed rifles decal on it, which has long faded.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

None of these recollections are exam questions anymore. If you've come from overseas you may revert to your original language. THAT won't be a lot of help either... I just recollected a song. "A White Sports Coat and a Pink Carnation" What use is that?   Good night Irene, Good night Irene. Ill see you in my Dreams..

What do you have IF you mix red and white paint and paint all the Volkswagens? A Pink Car Nation. Groan.   Nev

• Haha 1

I didn't know those old wire transfer machines in shops were efficient... They would have been fun to use , but you still needed to write down the sale on a bit of paper and enclose it with the money and shoot it off.

These bits of paper would have been a bugger to use when re-ordering. I reckon computers would be better.

• Like 1