Who remembers?

red750

Yep, we used a system where the users "paid" by the psi and we got these bits of paper which were supposed to be used to mark down a ledger card. The problem was that the end psi for one user rarely matched the start psi for the next user. It was all too hard, so the bits of paper went into my top drawer the figure out as soon as I had time.

Well, one day the big boss arrived muttering about Tennant Creek Oxy and he found my top drawer. I got put onto driving a small truck to pick up the local orders, which was a better job anyway. The little old lady, whose job I had been doing,  returned from leave and soon fixed the ledgers.

• Informative 1

I seem to recall someone killed at TC in the late 1950s when a gas bottle blew up (I think) in the store. Perhaps you were just acting in the interest of public safety.

Edit... I looked it up. December 3 1956 one dead and five seriously injured. Arthur Campbell ran the store, I met him later.

• Informative 1

I grew up in NZ and billy carts were called dobbins. I never knew why till now when I looked it up. A Dobbin is a quiet plodding work horse or in NZ a cart used to move loose wool in a woolshed.

We made them out of bits of old timber with an apple box with one end removed to sit in. The wheels were resurrected from old prams. I remember finding a pram (perambulator) with ball bearing wheels at the tip & I was then able to beat everyone once I put those on my dobbin.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1