Who is it?

red750

3 minutes ago, pmccarthy said:

Never heard of him.

He played the character Joey Tribbiani in the sitcom Friends. He has also starred as a fictionalized version of himself in Episodes (2011–2017), for which he won a Golden Globe Award and received four additional Emmy Award nominations. He co-hosted Top Gear from 2016 to 2019. From 2016 to 2020, he played patriarch Adam Burns in the CBS sitcom Man with a Plan.

image.thumb.png.1f54dfd52289ae713b5800ba28716b74.png

• Like 2

I am utterly hopeless with celebrities as I have hardly watched TV or movies (well, except for Top Gun a zillion times, and docos. At a charity fund raiser years ago, when I first came out here, I was talking to two chaps at the bar.. I asked their names and one said Ricky and the other, Pete. I joked there is an Aussie movie called Ricky and Pete.. When I went back to my friends, they mentioned i had some nerve to engage them.. I had no idea what they were talking about.. one asked my did I know who I was talking to.. I responded, I know their names, but don't really know them.. "Oh.. you don't know who you were talking to.. the younger one is Rick Astley, the older is Pete Townsend".  My response was, "Oh.... I have heard of Rick Astley, but who is Pete Townsend?"

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

as I have hardly watched TV or movies (well, except for Top Gun a zillion times, and docos

If that's the case Jerry, you would be very familiar with the crazy ejection scene when Goose died. There's a million things wrong with it and not much of it stacks up to real ejection sequences and outcomes.

However, I was reading some articles by real Tomcat pilots who had been involved with flat spins, and a couple of them seemed to back up some of Maverick's actions. In the movie, Maverick has a loose harness during the spin, and is leaning forward saying to Goose that he can't reach the ejection handles (the top ones he is trying for). Of course, no mention of the second set of handles between his legs, which would be reachable in a forward position.

The real pilots said that the F-14 in a flat spin will get up to a 180 degrees rotation per second, or even more, giving a G force in the high sevens. Also that at those G forces, a pilot who had not locked his retractable shoulder restraint harness would have the top part of his body thrown forward, slamming his face into the panel. No wonder poor old Maverick couldn't reach his top handles.

The other thing discussed was the relatively big distance between the F-14 engines of about nine feet. With one engine out, it will yaw very quickly if the throttle is not backed off soon enough. By the time the second engine flamed out, Maverick would have already been in the makings of the flat spin. The general opinion is that a flat spin in a Tomcat is not recoverable.

As for Maverick forgetting that he had a second set of handles on the lower seat between his legs, the early Tomcats had the GRU-7 Martin Baker seat, which had both upper and lower sets of ejection handles. The later models had the Martin Baker NACES seat which only had lower handles.

• Informative 2

1 hour ago, Old Koreelah said:

I presume you blokes are talking about a fighter jet movie that lots of us will never watch, because it has that spoiled brat/nutjob in it.

There's a lot of spoiled brats in Hollywood but don't let that put you off.  Yes the original had a few flying scenes but all of the in-cockpit shots were done on a sound stage and the "MiGs" were F-5's. In any case, I loved it when I was 16 and still enjoy it once a decade or so.

However the second one (only released this year I think) was much better for the flying scenes.  Most if not all were actually shot with the actors in the spare seat of a F/A18F Super Hornet.  You can tell it's real - in some high-G turns old Cruise's cheeks were being pulled back substantially.

Of course the dogfighting scenes were CGI and the Sukhoi SU-57 was too.

Tom-Cruise-as-Pete-Maverick-Mitchell-in-Top-Gun-Maverick.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 2