Sanctions against Russia

Bruce Tuncks

6 minutes ago, red750 said:

My daughter told me she heard they were conscripting people up to 60 years of age. Really getting desperate.

It appears to be true, going by all the video showing up on social media. Lots of old alcoholics in the regions drunk and staggering to get on the bus. Whether true or not, I read where only 15,000 are to be called up from Moscow; the rest of the 300,000 will come from the regions. A lot of them are the lowest rung on the ladder as far as quality of soldiers go. The general commanding the Ukraine armed forces has said they've finished with the Russian professional army, now it's time to defeat the unprofessional.

• Like 2

You may be expecting too much of the average Russian. Opposing Poutain/ Putler is a health risk. HE's made sure HE is safe BUT that must be becoming less so as people wake up to REALITY despite all the attempts to hide it. Let's HOPE so.

The new conscripts will be hopeless performers and unmotivated.    Time for Putin to fall on his Sword and save the Honour of Russia. (Such as HE HAS REDUCED IT)  Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks until the northern winter sets in. Putin has his pants down at the moment, and there's a small window of opportunity to deal the knock out blow before it drags on through winter. If the U.S. would give Ukraine the ATACMS, it would be job done. Being able to strike command posts, ammo dumps, logistics and infrastructure out to 300klm instead of the current 80klm would make all the difference.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I would get a ukrainian granny to challenge Putin to a 1:1 with kalashnikovs in a paddock. I would aim this, not at Putin, but his soldiers.

AND I would treat the surrendering russians very well, giving them access to oligarch's mansions and chefs. Ukrainian Oligarchs too, before shipping them home.

• Like 3

The state media dissent that has been happening seems very well orchestrated - not as anger at the war or Putin, but anger at his cronies and henchmen who have ill-advised him. No one is talking about the reality of whether there is justification for the war, or whether it was Putin himelf that should take responsibility - despite him being the supreme military commander. No one iaskign where does the buck stop to apply pressure to more innocent people being thrown like lambs to the slaughter.

But, I am not that hopeful the Russian population will change their minds - at least in public... but also for those that believe it to be justified, in private also. Look at Trump supporters. In the face of damning evidence and, despite almost, if not all of the random electoral fraud cases that have merit being against republicans (amazing how they comee out with memes as per posted in Funny Pictures to indicate otherwise), they are unwaivering - no - unrelenting in their support and how it is all a pack of lies and everyone, including judges appointed by him, are out to get him. I have a feeling there is a great swathe of Russians who fall in the same camp - certainly of the older and middle-aged. The younger - maybe not so much,

This fella pops up on my YT feed occasionally.. This is an interesting clip - where the population is being primed that the west are threatening nuclear war on Russia.

[edit - and here is the clip]

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1

I wouldn't run the comparison with Trump too far. Things are actually happening to Russians that can't possibly be kept hidden forever. People are disappeared, conscripted don't return or come back wounded. Putin made himself the ONLY leader and presented himself as STRONG and the ONLY one SUITABLE for the Task. When this facade starts to crumble it will be an avalanche.. Trumps EGO is not life threatening. Putin links his existence to the REVIVAL of the EMPIRE he IMAGINES is able to be reconstituted. A NOBLE enterprise no less.. He's Classifiably MAD really and people are beginning to realise it in greater numbers..  Nev

• Informative 1

I agree with the logic, but sadly, logic often is also a casualty in these times. I still see videos of captured Russian soldiers calling their parents or loved ones, and their loved ones still refusing to believe the Ukranians are treating them better than their own army does, and belieiving it is all a set up by those nazi Ukranians. Putin's rhetoric is the west is really waging war and is now threatening military and nucelar attack against Russia - which provides the justification for the bodies returning in body-bags and mobilising another 300,000 troops.

There will be Russian people who do stop their support or change their mind of the war.. will there be enough people to do it, and will it result in a change? I hope so, but I am not holding my breath.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

I would treat the surrendering russians very well, giving them access to oligarch's mansions and chefs. Ukrainian Oligarchs too, before shipping them home.

Great idea Bruce! After some revolutions, palaces were converted into museums so the common people could see how exploited they’d been. Perhaps all those superyachts of Putin’s cronies could be sent back as well.

• Like 1

It looks like it's time to fill the jerry cans and stock up the larder. Any bets on how long it will take for Ukraine to lob a couple of HE ballistics over the dotted line between Ukraine and the newly proclaimed Russian Donbass region?

After all, Vlad has promised to reply with nuclear weapons as soon as any military assault occurs on what he calls Russian Territory. It's all he seems to have left.

Talk about brinkmanship. When that happens will the West have the gonads to respond with equal or greater weapons? Even if he just suddenly throws every non nuclear weapon he's got left, at everything still standing in Ukraine, what can the west do to stop him?

I interpret the 200,000 suddenly departing Russians, as an indication that many many Russians believe Putin will make good his threat. They believe that 'shitz gunna get real'.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

I'm just waiting for the Ukrainian HIMAR missile to land on Putins office, or his travelling convoy, that will immediately solve a lot of problems.

You can bet your bottom dollar the Americans have all the information they need, to hand over the target co-ordinates to the Ukrainians - right down to the number plate on his limo.

• Agree 2