Sanctions against Russia

Bruce Tuncks

12 hours ago, onetrack said:

I see where Putin has signed into force, a decree boosting the Russian Army numbers - from 1.9M to 2.04M. I don't know where he's going to get the extra numbers, unless he starts conscripting people.

I doubt the world will be trembling in their boots over it. The easiest part of his plan would be juggling the budget to pay for it. The hard part would be making it a reality.  Given the current state of their military as a whole, it would just make a bigger mess to fix even if they could find the numbers. They need reform, not more of the same. Until they can reform their entire military from the top down, adding more numbers is just throwing fuel on the fire.

When you have a large, inefficient army, logic would tell you there's a need for a smaller, more professional and better run force. Having a big sh*t show and just adding to it is a joke.

Edited by willedoo
  • Like 1

With all the evidence seen of partially destroyed Russian tanks, I've assumed the Ukrainians would be removing the explosive reactive armour for their own use. It seems like they have a lot more than what they need for their own tanks. They are stripping the explosive charges from the blocks and using them to destroy unexploded ordnance.

FbBEfiFXkAARJns.png

FbBEeu5XgAAO4ni.png

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

21 hours ago, onetrack said:

There's a lot to be said for utilising equipment for military purposes that doesn't resemble military equipment - the surprise factor is always a worthy factor in military tactics...

Ukraine’s innovative use of dune buggies and civilian vehicles for military purposes will inevitably result in Russian forces claiming a mandate to destroy everything that moves.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

Ukraine’s innovative use of dune buggies and civilian vehicles for military purposes will inevitably result in Russian forces claiming a mandate to destroy everything that moves.

The Russians were already doing that to a certain degree in the early days of the invasion. It's a real grey area. Ukrainian forces have used civilian cars to ferry troops around, and often civilians will use their own cars to drive soldiers around. There seems to be less of it now that foreign supplies of military troop vehicles have increased.

The dune buggy idea is good. It's got a lot of punch with the ATGM mounted on top. The speed and agility  would be a big factor. You could roar into range, fire, then take off like a bat out of hell. You would also be able to duck and weave better than any military vehicle. Also very easy to bail out from. I'd think the quick escape would only work if the missile was fired on a set and forget mode. Another advantage is that it would be harder to see than most vehicles.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

There's no shortage of Nazis on the Russian side; Ukraine doesn't have the monopoly on them. I've got a photo of a Russian Nazi unit but can't post it as the site seems to be having some Javascript related problems. If it sorts itself out, I'll post it at a later date. Have tried Firefox, Brave and Chrome, but the same with all three. Nothing that would be normally Javascript activated will work. I can turn Javascript off and post text only.
  • Like 1

Confirmed news is in short supply at this stage, but reports are that Ukrainian forces have attacked on multiple fronts in the Kherson region. Some Russian defensive lines have been broken, but it's too early to know whether they are small tactical gains or part of a major push to evict the Russians from the west bank of the Dnieper.
  • Like 2

The newly formed Russian 3rd Dad's Army Corps is shipping to Ukraine with some of Russia's latest and most modernised gear, like the T-90M and the turbine powered T-80BVM tanks. Doesn't sound like a great plan to send your worst troops with your best gear. It probably won't do them much good, as they are in the main, inexperienced and barely trained, and will be going up against Europe's most experienced anti tank crews.

Putin is just sending more Russian meat to the grinder. Apart from the 3rd Army consisting of volunteer old men and boys, they don't have quality leadership due to Russia's critical shortage of officers. Most reports from researchers are saying that their officer ranks are mainly made up of local officials from the areas where the units were raised, as well as members of veteran's associations. It's reminiscent of the later part of WW2 Germany's situation, where they had better technology but only old men and boys left to operate it.
  • Like 2

Latest updates seem to indicate the long awaited counter-offensive to retake Kherson has started. The Ukrainian presidency is reporting heavy fighting in almost the entire region of Kherson. Apparently the world of Russian milbloggers on telegram is spinning out, so it might be real this time.

The Kremlin is saying the counter-offensive has failed and that Russian forces have won the day. Hopefully it's not true; very little coming from the Kremlin is true these days. Edited by willedoo
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, willedoo said:

As part of an aid package, the U.K. and Norway are funding 850 Black Hornet micro drones for the Ukrainian military. The price per unit wasn't disclosed, but they cost 95,000USD each back in 2013.

FbcKbJQWAAA26qI.png

0btVD2n_.png

013e0000-0aff-0242-a96f-08da8a5fbf11_w1023_r0_s.png

013e0000-0aff-0242-2c2e-08da8a5fbf30_w1023_r0_s.png

Ali Express will have them for $5.23.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, onetrack said:

I was only thinking the other day, about how Peter the Mine Dog was getting on, and if he'd survived. Good to see those stamps, someone still has their sense of humour, despite the horrors of the war.

I wouldn't mind getting a set of the stamps. They should be available on eBay fairly soon. Also waiting for the Patron fridge magnet to come out. I've already got the 'Russian Warship - go F*** yourself' fridge magnet, so Patron would be a good addition. The Russian Warship one was also issued as stamps by Ukraine post.

s-l1600.png

• Like 3

Kids in Ukraine started back at school yesterday after the summer holidays. They have some problems as numbers allowed to attend school depend on the school bomb shelter capacity and other emergency equipment issues. Not all will be able to attend in the areas where there is any risks.

14172.png

• Like 2