Sanctions against Russia

Bruce Tuncks

Just now, Marty_d said:

He's got a bit of a gut for a fighter pilot, doesn't he?

I mean far be it from me to throw stones about the belly, but I'm not Tom Cruise.

That's common with Russian pilots, Marty. Certainly no slick Hollywood image. I think it's a combination of too much Kapusta and genetics. A lot of them look a lot older than what they are, but I get the idea that in general, Russian fighter pilots are on average, older than their US counterparts. A bit rough around the edges and not much Western concept of rules and discipline, but they can fly.

I read somewhere once that a short, stocky pilot with high blood pressure handles the G forces better than a long, lean and skinny one. Don't know how much truth is in it. I'd guess when it comes to G's that training would be more important than body type.

• Informative 1

50 minutes ago, willedoo said:

That's common with Russian pilots, Marty. Certainly no slick Hollywood image. I think it's a combination of too much Kapusta and genetics. A lot of them look a lot older than what they are, but I get the idea that in general, Russian fighter pilots are on average, older than their US counterparts. A bit rough around the edges and not much Western concept of rules and discipline, but they can fly.

I read somewhere once that a short, stocky pilot with high blood pressure handles the G forces better than a long, lean and skinny one. Don't know how much truth is in it. I'd guess when it comes to G's that training would be more important than body type.

He certainly looks like he'd qualify for high blood pressure.  Wonder what their medical standards for fighter pilots are?  Looks like he might be in doubt for a Basic Class 2 over here.

• Agree 2

The Russians continue to lose high ranking officers. Crimean authorities have said that the deputy commander of Russia’s Black Sea Fleet, Captain 1st rank Andrey Paliy was KIA near Mariupol. That's one rank below Rear Admiral. The Army has lost a few Generals and Colonels so far.

• Informative 1

Although the Chinese are his friends, Putin has failed to learn from them. Had he read 'The Art of War' he would have known the essential strategy that translates as 'Know your enemy before the fight starts'.

No wonder that China is (so far) standing well clear of the mess, and probably smiling a little smugly to itself.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

I can't find it now, but I read an ultra-right wing Ukraine militia are seeking out the generals and other senior officers... so Putin was right.. they are fighting Nazis....

There must be some targeting of the officers going on, otherwise it's extraordinary to lose five generals in three weeks.

To be sure, Putin is fighting Neo-Nazis, but they are only a part of the military. He's also fighting the regular Ukraine forces, most of whom probably don't have much truck with the right sector militias. I think most of the regulars are ordinary decent people fighting for their country. Most of the militias started up in 2014. I don't know how many of them are far right, as units like the Azov Battalion seem to get all the media attention over their open use of Nazi symbols and political views. The other militias hardly get a mention. I'm sure there would be many who are not Neo-Nazis.

As far as I know, the militias started up independently of Ukraine's regular military forces. A few oligarchs had private militias that were fighting the rebels in the East, alongside the regular forces. Some time back, the government incorporated the militias into Ukraine's home defence forces, which I assume would be like our reserves, or our militias during WW2. I think they would have been better off leaving the militias as independent units. It would have made it harder for Putin to justify claims of widespread Nazi influence.

Admittedly, the government has done things like making WW2 Nazi collaborator Stepan Bandera's birthday a national holiday, but I think those sentiments are only one fraction of government and military. The way Putin talks, you would think the whole country was run by Nazis, but just because there's a few of them in the militias and parliament doesn't mean they are all that way. In Ukraine, the second biggest party in parliament is pro Russian/anti EU.

As in these photos, it's easy to see why the Azov Battalion gets the lion's share of the publicity, but you hear very little of the other militias.

azov-battalion01.png

485448.png

Edited by willedoo
  • Like 1

Watching "The Last Leg" tonight - they had a fair old crack at Putin.   They did make the point that even Arnold Schwarzenegger has made a video imploring the Russian people to see through the misinformation from their government, which has racked up over 20 million views so far.  (Making it, as they put it, his most successful movie of recent times!)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

I hear that Trump’s odious Republicans are calling for boycotts of all Arnie’s movies.

Isn't it ridiculous.  Arnie himself is a Republican although of the moderate stripe.  In his movies he generally portrays a cigar-smoking alpha male (or alpha robot) who uses a variety of heavy weaponry to solve problems.  Basically your average Republican punter's wet dream.

Anyway, I don't think he'd be bothered by the yelping of of those deranged nitwits who've swallowed the Trump kool-aid.

• Agree 1

Ukraine military commanders are saying that Russian forces only have three days of food, fuel and ammunition left. It would be good if it was true as the fighting would ease a bit. One gets the impression that the Russians stuffed up the logistical planning badly. So far, it's shown all the hallmarks of a half-cocked plan. Almost a month into the invasion and they haven't achieved any major objectives. It must be humiliating for Putler. And there's the problem. Would his ego let him suffer the humiliation, or will it drive him to lash out more.

• Informative 1

4 minutes ago, willedoo said:

… It must be humiliating for Putler. And there's the problem. Would his ego let him suffer the humiliation, or will it drive him to lash out more.

This is the most dangerous phase of the conflict: he’s a cornered predator with nowhere to go. He’s already sacked some Generals, used hypersonic missiles and threatened to use tactical nukes. What next? Poisoned gas, barrel bombs, seige and starvation? 

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

Another Russian yacht has been impounded - the one on the left, not the one on the right.

The owner is one of the few who probably shouldn't have been sanctioned. A self made businessman with a good record, no political affiliations, owner of Eurochem fertilizer manufacturers and Siberian Coal Company. He's been sanctioned on the basis that his taxes supply revenue for the government. I think when the war ends, people like him will have no trouble getting their assets back.

Nobiskrug_SY_A_201906__4_.png

Edited by willedoo
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

11 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

WHAT !!!.

Russian millionaires PAY tax .

spacesailor

It might be like here where they have clever accountants and write offs to reduce it down to three fifths of sweet FA. They have a 13% flat tax for everybody, but a while back Putin's government brought in another surcharge of 2% (or 3?) for the wealthy on wealth sent out of the country. Most likely just a toothless stunt to give the impression to the public that they're cracking down on the rich.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I would like it said that every bit of damage would be paid for by russians. Russia has been called a "kleptocracy" which I think means rule by the thieves. Apparently all the theft (skimming )  from their military budgets  left the military quite weak. Well weaker than was thought...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It is sad that such an experienced and expert pilot should die from a missile that he could not outrun and on only the second day of the war. 

It now seems that the invasion has come to standstill and stalemate is setting in. I believe that the Ukrainians have made significant ground especially in strategic suburbs surrounding Kyiv and Odessa has become a fortress. It is also reported that at least one of Putins inner circle has resigned in opposition to the war. One would hope the longer the war continues and Putin becomes more unhinged, common sense will prevail in Russia and a lasting peace settlement will be agreed and Putin will eventually be sidelined.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2