Anti-vaxxers are the 21st Century Luddites

old man emu

Marty. It is not waste, it is good fertilizer. It is only modern living that treats valuable reusable material as waste and does not want to re use it.

The original form of farming that i was brought up with used all the wast products to keep up the soil fertility. We used to spread many tons of animal manure on the land and you could see the results in the next crop grown. Even our own dung got to the land, but usually after several years laying in a pit.

Now animal waste is building up and polluting waterways, especially where dairying and pig farming are prevalent. The long strawed grain crops have been bred out so there is nothing left to absorb the urine. Because of this our farmers now rely on using artificial fertilizers, which are supplied by big corporations.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Yenn said:

Marty. It is not waste, it is good fertilizer. It is only modern living that treats valuable reusable material as waste and does not want to re use it.

The original form of farming that i was brought up with used all the wast products to keep up the soil fertility. We used to spread many tons of animal manure on the land and you could see the results in the next crop grown. Even our own dung got to the land, but usually after several years laying in a pit.

Now animal waste is building up and polluting waterways, especially where dairying and pig farming are prevalent. The long strawed grain crops have been bred out so there is nothing left to absorb the urine. Because of this our farmers now rely on using artificial fertilizers, which are supplied by big corporations.

Exactly my point.  Why limit yourself to fertilizing one body, go spread your fertilizer while alive (underground please, we don't want to step on it).

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Yenn said:

The original form of farming that i was brought up with used all the wast products to keep up the soil fertility…

For thousands of years, China had a sustainable farming system, which returned “night soil” to the land. Now they flush their precious nutrients out to sea.
Progress, but for how long?

The term anti-vaxxers seems to be used as a blanket term for what in reality is a lot of different types of people. The true hard core anti-vaxxers are the group like my neighbours, who are ideologically opposed to all vaccines, are right into all the conspiracy theories behind vaccination and home school their children because of it.

Then there's people who are only anti this vaccine. They quite happily get other jabs but have concerns about the Covid vaccines in regards to safety of their own health. And unlike as someone here mentioned earlier that they bet they are all under 40, most people I know in this category are older people. Some are now getting vaccinated now that Moderna is available, and the only reason behind delaying is that they didn't want to take the risk with AZ.

If you wanted to use the blanket term anti-vaxxers to describe anyone hesitant to get the jab, the biggest demographic group of anti-vaxxers in Queensland is the aboriginal community. Their percentage numbers are dismally low. There's a lot of fear and hesitancy about the jab in their communities. Their elders and representatives have tried their best to encourage them to get vaccinated, but often to no avail. The Qld. Premier did a trip to Cherbourg this week to try to talk more of the residents into getting the jab.

• Informative 1

• 1 month later...

I was a little hesistant about vaccination at first, wanting to see if any adverse effects appeared after a few months from the release of the earlier vaccines.

But the adverse effects seemed to stay confined to people with previous health problems, and stayed at minimal levels.

There's a lot of unreported mild adverse effects, and tiredness and ongoing muscle and joint aches and pains are common.

But I finally went with Moderna simply because it has the longest-lasting effectiveness against COVID-19.

I note that Norman Swan recently stated that the first booster is likely to soon become permitted at earlier than 5 months. It is still early days for this disease though. I will happily line up for a booster anyway. Which reminds me, I'm also due for a Tetanus booster. Have there been any rallies against them by antivaxers lately?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

…I'm also due for a Tetanus booster. Have there been any rallies against them by antivaxers lately?

…and the dozens of other diseases which vaccines have freed us from.

People forget how we lived in fear of catching these crippling, even fatal diseases. We had some of them beaten, but now the anti-vaxers are helping these horrible diseases make a comeback.

https://www.health.gov.au/health-topics/immunisation/immunisation-throughout-life/national-immunisation-program-schedule

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Mention of Tetanus reminded me how effective vaccines are.

I got tetanus many years ago but I hadn't had a booster shot for over ten years. I had the aches and pains for 3 days before going to the Dr. who diagnosed tetanus. One quick jab and I was good again in a few hours. I had been getting pretty sick, but I reckon the lingering effects of a jab years before saved me from the worst of it.

What seems to be totally ignored about having a Covid jab, is that it is not just all about me, but having the jab may save someone else. Of course our government has for a long while been promoting "me' because by doing that they can buy voters.

• Like 2